Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
It's somewhat surprising to me that most of the non-Apple AirTags accessories released so far (key rings, luggage tags) have cut-outs on both sides so that the AirTag is visible. These remind me of those horrible iPhone cases that have a hole for the Apple logo -- like anyone needs strangers to know what phone they are using. This seems especially problematic with the AirTags, since it unmistakably tells anyone trying to steel the bag (etc.) that it is tagged, and allows the would-be thief to quickly cut off the tag.

My question is whether there is a technical reason for this -- i.e., the AirPods are weak and even a bit of leather/polyurethane would reduce their functionality, or whether accessory manufacturers assume that people are actually wanting to show off their AirTags to others? I see why Apple itself would want to encourage the latter, and I see why it might make sense to leave one side open (since people could show the monogrammed side), but having openings on both sides seems a bit much unless it is driven by technical concerns.

Reactions: MrFootery and SBC44

minnemike

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2021
St Paul, MN
I would assume the less material in the way the greater the transmit distance which is really the whole point of them. I want to find a way for permanent mount but ability to change battery like on my Ebike. Not sure on that... maybe a surface glue. Would be cool if they made them in a ring shape so you could secure it to soemthing

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I would assume the less material in the way the greater the transmit distance which is really the whole point of them. I want to find a way for permanent mount but ability to change battery like on my Ebike. Not sure on that... maybe a surface glue. Would be cool if they made them in a ring shape so you could secure it to soemthing
For your purpose, Moment has a couple of options. Here is one, and they also have something similar for curved surfaces: https://www.shopmoment.com/products...wc=1&partner_id=10078&timestamp=1619101845983

I plan to try one of these under my bike's seat.

Reactions: minnemike

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
The stick-on ones they were showing cover the entire thing, so I don't think it's a reception issue. I think that's just how they designed the first few, to show off the device (and perhaps to make the engraving visible as well). I'm sure in time there will be plenty of covered options.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
It's somewhat surprising to me that most of the non-Apple AirTags accessories released so far (key rings, luggage tags) have cut-outs on both sides so that the AirTag is visible. These remind me of those horrible iPhone cases that have a hole for the Apple logo -- like anyone needs strangers to know what phone they are using. This seems especially problematic with the AirTags, since it unmistakably tells anyone trying to steel the bag (etc.) that it is tagged, and allows the would-be thief to quickly cut off the tag.

My question is whether there is a technical reason for this -- i.e., the AirPods are weak and even a bit of leather/polyurethane would reduce their functionality, or whether accessory manufacturers assume that people are actually wanting to show off their AirTags to others? I see why Apple itself would want to encourage the latter, and I see why it might make sense to leave one side open (since people could show the monogrammed side), but having openings on both sides seems a bit much unless it is driven by technical concerns.
My guess was for those people who engraved something on the back of their tags, it seems foolish to NOT be able to see it. The accessories accommodate that, and use less material.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
My guess was for those people who engraved something on the back of their tags, it seems foolish to NOT be able to see it. The accessories accommodate that, and use less material.
That part makes sense to me, and I tried to acknowledge that a single cut-out might be desirable to many people. It's really just the double cut-out that seems weird to me, since I can't imagine wanting to display an Apple logo on items such as my keys.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
That part makes sense to me, and I tried to acknowledge that a single cut-out might be desirable to many people. It's really just the double cut-out that seems weird to me, since I can't imagine wanting to display an Apple logo on items such as my keys.
I imagine if molds are being used to make the pieces ( like the belkin ones ) it's just easier that way.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
So there are a few reasons that I can think of:
  1. Wondering where the speaker is? We're learning today that the white plastic dome IS the speaker. So anything that hinders that from vibrating will affect the sound emitted by the AirTag.
  2. If you find someone else's AirTag you can tap your phone to it, and the NFC reader will get info from it. But how are you going to think to even try touching your phone to it unless you can tell it's an AirTag?
  3. When someone is notified that they're traveling with an AirTag that doesn't belong to them, the dialog is going to show a picture of one. But this person may not actually know what an AirTag is, so this picture will help them know what to look for. If you've covered up your AirTag somehow, the person who finds it may not realize what's inside.
These are just a few off the top of my head, but they seem reasonable to me. Whether you want people to be able to tell that you've attached an AirTag to your belonging is going to depend on the application. There are 3rd party accessories being announced now that do not have the AirTag visible from the outside, and I'm sure we'll see more and more as time goes on.

neech7

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
"it unmistakably tells anyone trying to steel the bag (etc.) that it is tagged, and allows the would-be thief to quickly cut off the tag."

If you show it, you're worried a bad guy might see it. If you hide it, a good guy won't know to scan it and try to contact you to return the stuff to you.

You can't have it both ways.

Add: Since the AirTag is not being marketed as an anti-theft device, keeping the sides open so that it can be seen and recognized is the right call.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveTheRave

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
For your purpose, Moment has a couple of options. Here is one, and they also have something similar for curved surfaces: https://www.shopmoment.com/products...wc=1&partner_id=10078&timestamp=1619101845983

I plan to try one of these under my bike's seat.
Another solution is to get a roll of that extra strong double sided adhesive tape. you can get a whole roll for cheaper than one of these and apply it to a bunch of tags..... the only downside is that the tag won't be covered up, so if you want to cover it up and keep it from getting scratched up, etc... that solution may not work.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005

1. i think many of the cutouts on the initial wave of accessories is to mimic what they have seen in apple accessories and display the apple logo and the airtag itself which for many apple users is "important" ... obviously not always for the best reasons. i suspect more and more accessories will come out that will cover the airtag and purses, backpacks, bags etc. will even come with airtag ready pouches etc. built in very soon.

2. i assume not covering up the white plastic dome allows the sound it can emit to be heard more loudly?

3. i assume not covering up the airtag increases the range it can be picked up when attempting to locate it? i'm not sure it is a sizeable difference but i suppose there is some.

4. THIS IS THE BIG ONE... i don't think these are really meant to be a means to retrieve a stolen item. you can obviously conceal it IN a bag etc. but i think the idea of airtags is more a very modern luggage tag that both calls out to YOU when you are looking for it and shows its location, as well as becomes a thing more and more people will recognize and realize they can scan to see if it is lost and call the owner like a written luggage tag. I know that right now not that many people know what an AirTag is and essentially no one has seen one in real life but think back to iPods, iPhones, Apple Watches, and AirPods... now EVERYONE, even those who don't use them, knows what they are because they are so common. I think these little $25-29 AirTags will eventually be everywhere and people will recognize them on sight, and that will lead to people being able to return lost items easier.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
1. i think many of the cutouts on the initial wave of accessories is to mimic what they have seen in apple accessories and display the apple logo and the airtag itself which for many apple users is "important" ... obviously not always for the best reasons. i suspect more and more accessories will come out that will cover the airtag and purses, backpacks, bags etc. will even come with airtag ready pouches etc. built in very soon.

2. i assume not covering up the white plastic dome allows the sound it can emit to be heard more loudly?

3. i assume not covering up the airtag increases the range it can be picked up when attempting to locate it? i'm not sure it is a sizeable difference but i suppose there is some.

4. THIS IS THE BIG ONE... i don't think these are really meant to be a means to retrieve a stolen item. you can obviously conceal it IN a bag etc. but i think the idea of airtags is more a very modern luggage tag that both calls out to YOU when you are looking for it and shows its location, as well as becomes a thing more and more people will recognize and realize they can scan to see if it is lost and call the owner like a written luggage tag. I know that right now not that many people know what an AirTag is and essentially no one has seen one in real life but think back to iPods, iPhones, Apple Watches, and AirPods... now EVERYONE, even those who don't use them, knows what they are because they are so common. I think these little $25-29 AirTags will eventually be everywhere and people will recognize them on sight, and that will lead to people being able to return lost items easier.
Sounds like the answer to most of this is to have the accessory open on one side only. People can display the white domed side for range, etc. and to show off their custom monogramming, but won't need to advertise for Apple in the process. That's what I would want, anyway....

Reactions: JuneJune

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
So now that I’ve picked mine up I can confirm that at least the white plastic part really should be open. Even just lightly placing your finger in the center of the plastic is enough to make the sound almost inaudible. Same if you pickup the AirTag by pinching it between your finger and thumb, where one of them is on the white front and the other is on the metal back. I’m sure those in then “I don’t want to tip of thieves” camp will see this as a positive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.