Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eyex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2021
Can anybody tell me why reviewers don't mention this? How will the AirTags work with devices that don't have the U1 chip? How will the precision finding operate? Will those devices lack that feature completely? Could someone clarify this?

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
I wonder if they’ll allow it with the Apple Watch, I’m not willing to upgrade from my iPhone X yet and there’s no reason why the newer watch with U1 can’t, Other than Apple preventing it of course

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
It’s a good question. You’d think a good reviewer would test it out with an older iPhone.

I’d imagine it would still work decently with BLE, just loses the very accurate location / direction type of stuff.

Reactions: xmach and srbNYC

Eyex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2021
It’s a good question. You’d think a good reviewer would test it out with an older iPhone.

I’d imagine it would still work decently with BLE, just loses the very accurate location / direction type of stuff.
I was searching on the internet for hours and nobody tested it with an iPhone older then the 11 series...

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
You have to consider who Apple chooses to send these to, and the time the reviewers had with the tags.

Apple is only choosing those with the latest, greatest, and usually top of the line models as if price is no object. They want things reviewed under the best conditions. Also the reviewers get a short window to due to their reviews / tests, before they have to produce content early enough to get all the eyeballs they can.

If Apple really wanted you to know how they perform on older units, they would have a doc. It's easier to let customers find out themselves on older units. Best case scenario Apple can hope this would be the thing that convinces you to go the latest models.

Apple's only concern at launch is putting forth the best look of their products, under the best conditions.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
It will only ping a sound. Or it will try to locate via the Bluetooth signals of other iPhones. Good for congested areas like airports, but if you’re in a rural area probably useless.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
It has a speaker that chirps. So, just like "Find my AirPod" or "Find my iPhone" , once youre close enough then you listen your way to it.

BTW, based on the videos I've seen so far then the "precision finding" is pretty slow compared to just pinging it and using your senses to find it.

Reactions: xmach

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
It will only ping a sound. Or it will try to locate via the Bluetooth signals of other iPhones. Good for congested areas like airports, but if you’re in a rural area probably useless.
This is the answer. Precision tracking won't work, but everything else will. This is why the system requirements for AirTags allow for use with iPhone 6S or later.

Reactions: xmach

podycust

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2017
ordered mine with in minutes of the store opening back up now preparing to ship meant to arrive on the 30th.

I'll have a go if someone else doesn't before I do as I've got an XR so no U1 chip. I guess everything apart from precision tracking will work.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I have an iphoneSe and will not not be able to take advantage of precision finding . This means that the major advantage the Airtag has over a Tile does not apply. I am heavily into the Apple ecosystem and would like to get Airtags but the Tile has some advantages: no extra cost to buy a strap for a keychain, the Slim fits inside a wallet. Is there something about Airtags that I am missing ?

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I have an iphoneSe and will not not be able to take advantage of precision finding . This means that the major advantage the Airtag has over a Tile does not apply. I am heavily into the Apple ecosystem and would like to get Airtags but the Tile has some advantages: no extra cost to buy a strap for a keychain, the Slim fits inside a wallet. Is there something about Airtags that I am missing ?

Integration with "Find My".

Doesn't seem like it's worth switching from tile to Airbag in your situation, but you could always do a gradual switch as your Tiles die or whatever. I'm using an iPhone 8 so no UWB either. But I don't use Tile today so I think AirTags still make more sense

Reactions: Dc2006ster

Eyex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2021
You will be able to locate your AirTag, virtually anywhere on the map, thanks to Apple’s FindMy network. You can not do that with Tile.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
BTW, based on the videos I've seen so far then the "precision finding" is pretty slow compared to just pinging it and using your senses to find it.
Precision Finding is a cool feature, but I feel like it’s only really going to be useful in really busy, loud, or complicated spaces where the AirTag item could be in a multitude of locations or you can’t hear the ping well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.