Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gelbin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
i am looking to get an all in one, home-office type, scanner, printer, copier, fax etc machine. I have looked at the mid-level brothers and am tempted by them. I have not looked at much else, they seem pretty good. Anyone have any experience with the HPs or the brothers or any others that has thoughts one way or the other. I primarly want decently quick sheet-fed scanning and ocr that will send me text ocr'd pdfs to my machine for document storage. Laser printer over inkjet seems like the professional way to go. A network port seems worthwhile as well.

thanks.

vkapoormd

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
San Francisco, CA
gelbin said:
i am looking to get an all in one, home-office type, scanner, printer, copier, fax etc machine. I have looked at the mid-level brothers and am tempted by them. I have not looked at much else, they seem pretty good. Anyone have any experience with the HPs or the brothers or any others that has thoughts one way or the other. I primarly want decently quick sheet-fed scanning and ocr that will send me text ocr'd pdfs to my machine for document storage. Laser printer over inkjet seems like the professional way to go. A network port seems worthwhile as well.

thanks.

I have the brother MFC 8420 with a built in network card for wireless printing; works like a charm with my laptop and desktop. I previously had an HP laserjet with my PC, but had to get rid of it when i switched over to mac. The one thing i found (and this was subjective) was that the laser print on the HP was darker while the brother appeared more faint. While this initially bothered me, i got used to it; my wife actually thought the brother's print looked better, so i guess this is pretty subjective. I actually tried out the HP laserjet 3330 Multifunction to compare to the brother, but i found it to be poorly built and very flimsy, not to mention about $250 more than the brother which i got for $389 at Costco (the network card was about $100 extra, but well worth it). Other thing that scared me away from the HP were the bad reviews by mac users on CNET. The brother is much more of an office friendly multifunction machine that can do heavy duty work. The one problem that i have had with it is the scanning function where the software sometimes shut down unexpectedly (this is a bug in the software, which by now i am sure is fixed). Fortunately, i don't scan many documents and i have a separate dedicated scanne, so it's not really an issue for me. But based on your needs of OCR scanning, you may want to make sure that it will work for you. You could buy the brother and just test it out for a few days or so. Costco has a good return policy, so i would recommend getting it there if they have it or from their online store. Good luck. Email or inbox me if you have any questions.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
Being the insomniac that i am, i was watching ShopNBC last night and they were showing their v2 Premier system that came with the new lexmark all in one. It looked pretty cool and did what you ask. Maybe you should check out the lexmark...

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
I use the HP Photosmart 2710 All-in-one, its really good. The scans are great, printing is fast and good even for photos and i always get faxs on it. I have found that this HP modle really looks good and does nto take that much room. I really recommend this product, i have had no problems with is what so ever.

The thingi really like about it is that when i am scanning i can scan to desktop or to preview, there is an option to scan it to mail which is really good aswell.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I hate to be a Dell whore here, but I recently got a friend a Dell 1600n. Laser printer with automatic document feeder, fax, scanner, copier, and networked for $220 with free shipping.

Between this mulitfunction and their LCDs, Dell cannot be touched. I mean, nobody else is in their league. Did I mention I also got their 24" LCD for $810!

Dell computers still suck though. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.