Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
Apple are so bad in the last couple of years. Very, very poor UserX testing, on everything. iOS, AirPods Pro, Butterfly Keyboards, you name it: they've messed it up.

The use of the phrase "Trust this Computer" implies that it is the computer that the user is choosing to trust.

Otherwise it would say each time you backup an iPhone simply: "Enter your passcode for this backup"

This means that yes it is meant to be permanent, and a once-only user instruction, that is failing to be saved.

Another Apple fail.

JohannesO

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2022
Apple are so bad in the last couple of years. Very, very poor UserX testing, on everything. iOS, AirPods Pro, Butterfly Keyboards, you name it: they've messed it up.

The use of the phrase "Trust this Computer" implies that it is the computer that the user is choosing to trust.

Otherwise it would say each time you backup an iPhone simply: "Enter your passcode for this backup"

This means that yes it is meant to be permanent, and a once-only user instruction, that is failing to be saved.

Another Apple fail.
I’m afraid Apple did this on purpose to push iCloud backups and subscriptions.

• Sad
Reactions: Shirasaki

Brandy-Boi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2020
So it seems after Ventura came out whenever I plug my 14PM into my iMac to sync/backup to Apple Music it constantly asks me if I trust my computer and I have to manually enter in my passcode. Even after the recent software updates to both Ventura and iOS16 the issue still persists, everytime the iPhone is plugged into the iMac it makes me enter my passcode to trust it. Earlier today while it was plugged in it even made me to it when I opened up my settings app. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to report bugs to Apple? I'm not and have never been a beta tester for their pre-releases of software but I'd still like to report bugs like this.

Also, this may or may not be related but a few minutes after my 14PM hit 100% battery as I was still on the iMac I heard the noise it makes when being plugged in, and it looked like on Music my iPhone wasn't listed as being plugged in and wasn't synced. Is that normal for when being plugged in at 100% or another weird little glitch?

Phwoar

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2016
Every time I hard-wire sync, I get "Trust This Computer" pop-up and have to enter my iPhone passcode twice during the process. Super annoying, and definitely started with 16.1.
It’s like Apple don’t trust us!🙈

I mean from a security point of view they could be like “It’s been 14 days since your last verification for backup, please enter passcode”.

But twice in one backup?? Haha it is like Apple are saying: “Are you SURE it’s still you??”

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
I switched to iCloud backup. I have tons of space that I don't use. Someone posted earlier that Apple probably did it to get people to buy more iCloud storage space. I disagree. Apple's policy has always been focused on moving forward - and not spending a cent to fix any problems on "past computing".

JohannesO

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2022
For me it is privacy to have my automated backups locally
and to me it is not moving forward when my family members develop a habit to always put in their code to trust a computer when prompted without knowing which computer, because the prompt doesn’t say it. 🤷‍♂️

jonh229

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2013
My free space on iCloud is 2gb. Not enuf space for my iPhone & iPad Pro. I'm not paying 0.99¢/mo to backup. Sure, I can afford it, it's the principal of the thing. And as someone else stated, I don't want my backup in the cloud, never mind that it is encrypted. I upgraded from Monterey to Ventura hoping it would fix this problem. Nope. I tried resetting privacy as recommended in one of the Apple "help" guides. Nope. That required me to trust my device when I connected to my iMac. Then it required me to trust when I opened filer to backup. Then it required me to trust when I started the backup. Jumping though the privacy reset hoop did not fix a single thing.

I've been backing up to my iMac for 2 years through many updates. Both my iphone & ipad. Never a problem until 16.1. The last Apple 'bug fix' didn't fix it either. Their user support is waning.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
After iOS16 and iPadOS16, I find that I need to enter my password to sync. This is on my iPhone 13 mini and my iPad mini 5. Is there a way to fix this? In the past, I didn't have to do this.

NichoMarpaunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
After iOS16 and iPadOS16, I find that I need to enter my password to sync. This is on my iPhone 13 mini and my iPad mini 5. Is there a way to fix this? In the past, I didn't have to do this.
the fix is to downgrade to ios 15.6

They changed the way it works since 15.7.1, maybe they want to push more people to buy the cloud storage

Reactions: pshufd

CC91UK

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
Norwich, UK
I can't remember exactly when it changed, but it was definitely at least a year ago that I first had to 'trust my computer' every time I plugged in my iPhone or iPod Touch.

jonh229

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2013
In my case, this started in Oct. I don’t know which ver iOS I was using the last time I backed up to Mac without a trust popup. I usually update as soon as a new OS is released, I don’t do betas. But it was not happening to me with Monterey, it started after my upgrade to Ventura. Can’t recall the iOS ver in use at that time.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I’ve been using multiple Apple ID accounts for multiple apps from multiple regions, meaning local backup is no longer sufficient. All I can say is for me Syncing doesn’t require me to keep entering password every few days or so, and when connecting to iTunes 12.6.5.3 I can safely dismiss the prompt and sync still comes through.
Hope this can help someone. :)

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It doesn’t always happen, but sadly this has been happening for a very long time. iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12, 2015 rMBP on OS X El Capitan and it periodically requests trust. Not always, but rather frequently. iPhone 6s on iOS 10, likewise. Not always, but oftentimes I have to trust it… again.

Hoss713

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
I'm glad I found this thread and now know I'm not alone with this issue. Very annoying. Seems like if you trust the computer, you shouldn't have to enter the passcode every time. I'm running IOS 16.1 and Ventura (13.0.1). Hope apple addresses this soon (I will file an issue with Apple).

Reactions: kayuz6

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
I'm experiencing this issue only with my iPhone 12 Pro and now since upgrading to a new iPhone 14 Pro after I transfered backup (it did NOT have this issue when it was setup as a brand new phone just before I initiated the transfer). Even after resetting my Location and Privacy per an Apple support article. My iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd generation (2018) does NOT have this issue and I can sync/backup all day long without being queried for my passcode.

Both devices are on 16.2.

Last edited:

ric_d

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2016
Washington, DC, USA
I'm experiencing this issue only with my iPhone 12 Pro and now since upgrading to a new iPhone 14 Pro after I transfered backup (it did NOT have this issue when it was setup as a brand new phone just before I initiated the transfer). Even after resetting my Location and Privacy per an Apple support article. My iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd generation (2018) does NOT have this issue and I can sync/backup all day long without being queried for my passcode.

Both devices are on 16.2.
I can confirm that this is still a problem with 16.2, both iOS (iPhone 13 Pro) and iPadOS (iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd gen).

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
Still an issue with my iPhone 13 Pro on 16.2, when plugging in both to my iMac and a Windows PC with iTunes.

Completely unacceptable for a $1,000 phone.

Reactions: tomtattoo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.