Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astral

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Has anyone tried to play an American Wii in Europe? I've been able to find that the European ones are playable in the States without a voltage converter even though the adapter only says 240v, but I would assume there is less risk in plugging a device into a socket that draws less voltage than normal.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
to make it short:

device being fixed at 230-240v plugged in 110v socket: device won't work but doesn't get damage

device being fixed at 110 being plugged into 230v socket: say goodbye to your device

the thing is that the power unit doesn't "draw" voltage but simply get's provided the 230v 50hz no matter what and if it can't handle it i very likely frys

and it could potentially not only ruin your power adapter but also your wii permanently

though i haven't tried it ;)

astral

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Yep, already got a 1500w transformer, just seeing if it was necessary to use it. All of my other electronics with power bricks (ie this laptop) are all rated 110-240, so it looks like the wii may be the only thing i need to transform anyway. And the worst case i have to spring for a new power brick, they don't seem to be too expensive.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I just bought myself a PowerBook, Wii and DS Lite European chargers and left them at our place in Poland. But I'm coming from UK to Europe so they don't feel like they cost as much. I don't know how it would be going from $ to Euro.
For all I know I might just need a socket convertor and that'll be safe! I really don't want to run the risk :)

astral

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
I just bought myself a PowerBook, Wii and DS Lite European chargers and left them at our place in Poland. But I'm coming from UK to Europe so they don't feel like they cost as much. I don't know how it would be going from $ to Euro.
For all I know I might just need a socket convertor and that'll be safe! I really don't want to run the risk :)

socket converters will work for the pb at least. That's all Apple's 40 dollar "world travel" kit is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.