Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
Is there an 800# for help ? lol

Got for 2k and got the $200 sonnet drive bay. ( Can't believe apple didn't include these in the base system for all the money they were charging ) Threw a couple 6 TB WD Blacks in it. Also picked up a Keychron 1 keyboard for $50 because I love mechanical keyboards.

I will use for music, photo's and some video. Basically what I use my 5,1 for but I figured I have the first Mac with intel chip and why not get the last. I can't believe how quiet it is compared to my 5,1. Hopefully I won't have issues with it. I picked up from ipower so I'm confident I won't. I plan on having fun with it. Gonna mess around with network sharing etc.

I could have gotten brand new factory sealed, which was the original plan for 2k but then they all jacked up the prices to over 3k. Anyway I'm loving it. Took me a while to figure out where I'm putting my Macs but got it sorted.

IMG_4934 Large.jpeg

IMG_4920 Large.jpeg

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
What condition is your one, A or B grade?

It looks clean inside. :)

You'll love it - far from being old, they are tough machines that just work.

Reactions: bmoraski

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
Forgot to post. This is my internal setup. Still irks me I had to pay $200 for that housing ! I also have an external 6 TB Mercury Pro Elite. I think ill be good on space for a while.

IMG_4966 Large.jpeg
IMG_4967 Large.jpeg
IMG_4968 Large.jpeg

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
What else would be handy for these is a second of the USB cards (the one in the bottom of your second photo). I find a few more USB-A would be handy. I also don't use the USB-C on top of the case that much.

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
What else would be handy for these is a second of the USB cards (the one in the bottom of your second photo). I find a few more USB-A would be handy. I also don't use the USB-C on top of the case that much.
Agreed.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Yup👍🏻 I've had my Hi-Point RocketU forever. I had it in my 5,1 cMP before i got myt 7,1 NcMP‼️

Lou

andrewv69

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2021
Outer Space
2k for one of these is a great price - just checking ebay now and seeing some for even lower. might finally be time for me to pick one of these up.

that $200 hdd bracket - i recall seeing a similar solution in a video ages ago using some carbon fiber, albeit with 2.5" SSDs that weigh a lot less, and it was significantly cheaper. the name escapes me now though.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
2k for one of these is a great price - just checking ebay now and seeing some for even lower. might finally be time for me to pick one of these up.

that $200 hdd bracket - i recall seeing a similar solution in a video ages ago using some carbon fiber, albeit with 2.5" SSDs that weigh a lot less, and it was significantly cheaper. the name escapes me now though.
It's called macpro.io. I have one on order ...

Reactions: andrewv69

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is a nice machine, congratulations. I'm still using my 3,1 in the signature, currently running Monterey via OCLP, and it covers my needs. But I'm also into getting "the last" model of certain Macs. For instance I'm using an 2015 11" MBA BTO maxed-out which is a capable and tiny notebook, and I have my eyes on the 2020 13" MBA BTO.

I've toyed with getting a 5,1 but I think I'll get a 7,1 instead. Here in Europe they've not fallen to such price levels, but I've seen them for 3000-ish Euros. Speaking of price drops, the Mac Studios drop a lot these days it seems.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
That is insane ! I may pick up just incase I decide to use SSD. lol
Joking of coarse.
I decided to go that route as I already had an SSD for Windows and an SSD with Mojave (which I will repurpose since Mojave and the 7,1 don't get along without ). Windows with Bootcamp has to be internal - off one of the SATA ports not a PCIe card. Wasn't worth going for the $200 Sonnet.

Does take a long time to ship from Taiwan. Sort of like buying from Aliexpress in terms of weeks vice Amazon in the US in terms of hours (sometimes)

bmoraski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2020
This is a nice machine, congratulations. I'm still using my 3,1 in the signature, currently running Monterey via OCLP, and it covers my needs. But I'm also into getting "the last" model of certain Macs. For instance I'm using an 2015 11" MBA BTO maxed-out which is a capable and tiny notebook, and I have my eyes on the 2020 13" MBA BTO.

I've toyed with getting a 5,1 but I think I'll get a 7,1 instead. Here in Europe they've not fallen to such price levels, but I've seen them for 3000-ish Euros. Speaking of price drops, the Mac Studios drop a lot these days it seems.
Thank you. When I got my 5,1 about 3 or 4 years ago I paid around $750 from OWC ( and it was in EXCELLENT condition )and now you can get even better specked one's for around $400. I put about $300 in it and am very pleased with it.

I could have waited to get a 7,1 but I knew I was eventually going to get one. The plan was to get a new factory sealed for $2k but they , over night, went to over $3k. I said the hell with it ill get now and maybe by chance get a new one. lol I didn't.

Reactions: pullman

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Nice. Its a great box & I've been using mine for five years now since new. Is maxxed out with various PCIe cards & GPUs and has never missed a beat. The only single issue I've had is with Apple's awful OS updates & which then have variously screwed 3rd party instalations, drivers, disk mounting etc and many of which often require paid updates from 3rd parties (the complete opposite of Win 11 BTW, which generlaly bends over backwards to ensure compatibility).

In any case & after much work in this domain, I can recommend that MacOS Monterey is by far the best suited to this machine. Enjoy.

PS
Oh I still have my 5,1 as well. Still works well & running Mojave.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.