Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Is it better to subscribe to services like paramount or BritBox directly instead of including in Apple TV?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I guess that depends on if you like juggling multiple subscriptions across multiple services, or you prefer to have one billing source. In this case Apple.

Also, keep in mind that not all the content and functionality is the same between the TV app Channel and the stand alone app. And you can not generally use the stand alone app if you subscribe to a Channel through the TV app. One notable exception to this latter point is Paramount+. You can use your AppleID to log into the Paramount+ app and get access to all the live content they don't include in the TV app Channel.

frocco

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I guess that depends on if you like juggling multiple subscriptions across multiple services, or you prefer to have one billing source. In this case Apple.

Also, keep in mind that not all the content and functionality is the same between the TV app Channel and the stand alone app. And you can not generally use the stand alone app if you subscribe to a Channel through the TV app. One notable exception to this latter point is Paramount+. You can use your AppleID to log into the Paramount+ app and get access to all the live content they don't include in the TV app Channel.
Thanks, that's good to know. I would rather not lose functionality for convenience, I currently pay each provider for their service, (Britbox, Acorn, Prime, ect.)

I'm debating between Frndly and Philo.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I prefer to keep stuff separated/"compartmentalized". And thus far, I have Hulu, Disney+, Paramount Plus, Amazon Prime, and Curiosity Stream (will add Apple TV+ soon, but the former 2 I've long stopped the subscription). I also have YouTube, but no subs there. At most, I've did a few one-off purchases to rent some films, and purchase seasons/single episodes from TV shows.

In addition to having one place for your billing, I'm assuming if you order a service through some other (for example, PP through AP), then you would use the interface of "the other" (Amazon Prime in this case). Another would be certain restrictions. For example, I read in a Reddit thread that if you want to us Hulu gift cards to pay for Hulu, you can't do that through the iOS App Store (or however it's done through Apple).

Curious, are you watching through an app, or a browser? I only do the latter, but I'd imagine some may prefer one or the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.