Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
Time Machine can only backup to other drives. I tried Carbon Copy Cloner but I want it to automatically backup files whenever one is changed no matter how much data is changed and without a threshold. The minimum threshold is 10MB which doesn't cut it since I have many small files I edit.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
You're not really backing anything up if you're storing the files on the same drive as current originals.

Something like GoodSync might work for you though. I used it many years ago and it has a ton of configuration options.

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
You're not really backing anything up if you're storing the files on the same drive as current originals.

Something like GoodSync might work for you though. I used it many years ago and it has a ton of configuration options.
If i accidentally delete files in a directory I want to be able to recover them.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
ChronoSync will scan on file system changes. Try it. I have never used this functionality - my scheduled scans are on a time basis. But it is not free and is a complex piece of software.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
If i accidentally delete files in a directory I want to be able to recover them.
IMO, creating duplicate backup in the same disk is not effective. Using Time Machine you can manually recover one or few files only. If you worried about disk durability, run Time Machine using other disks with smaller capacity. Or you can combine with cloud storage for backup of critical documents/files.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
No I want an app to automatically backup all my files in a specific directory.
Review and possibly revive this thread

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
Time Machine can only backup to other drives. I tried Carbon Copy Cloner but I want it to automatically backup files whenever one is changed no matter how much data is changed and without a threshold. The minimum threshold is 10MB which doesn't cut it since I have many small files I edit.
I’m not sure what you mean. Carbon Copy Cloner can do exactly what you want. You can have it automatically make incremental backups of whatever you want, as often as you want, to whatever location you want. You just need to configure the rules for it. I use Time Machine, but I also use CCC to do very specific backup tasks of very specific folders.

cjsuk

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2024

Sounds like you need to use a version control system like git instead of a sync tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.