Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I pre-ordered the base Studio just now and still unsure about it. My 2019 16inch Intel MBP is good, and I'd say pretty fast. (2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7)

I use it for everything and even some gaming on Bootcamp, though no time for that this year sadly.

The reason for getting the base Studio was to have an always on setup at my desk, whereas with the 16 inch MBP I tend to unplug it and carry it about, which kills my screen which has all my stuff on it. Also the 16 inch screen means I can't see part of the bottom of my 40 inch 4K LG screen.

Also sometimes there's a little lag on the 4K screen when moving things around. I love the SD slot on the front too on the Studio.

Thing is, it's £2k and more when I get the keyboard and pad. Is this thing really going to be much noticeably faster? I really need a serious performance bump on top of the convenience of having an always on desktop setup.

Wouldn't say this is buyer's remorse, but the potential is there to be disappointed. I want this thing to be so fast in comparison that I'm impressed and love it, but I'm not a buff on this stuff and I don't see a way to compare!

Any ideas?

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
You can compare benchmarks. I think you're new machine is likely 70% faster than you current machine in single core performance.

Oh that's logical! Because the Ultra in single-core is basically the same as a Max so you can take the same value? (around 1700 compared to my 1006).

Can I half the Ultra's multi core score too (seen here: https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...io-benchmarks-prove-it-outclasses-top-mac-pro) or is it not as simple as that?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That's how I got the 70% number. I don't know about multi. I think it depends a lot on what you're asking of it. But if you wanted to compare best available performance that would probably be an accurate comparison. Doesn't the GeekBench browser show multi-core performance for existing Max systems?

Reactions: TJ82

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
That's how I got the 70% number. I don't know about multi. I think it depends a lot on what you're asking of it. But if you wanted to compare best available performance that would probably be an accurate comparison. Doesn't the GeekBench browser show multi-core performance for existing Max systems?

For multicore it gives:

16 inch MBP M1 Max: 12233
14 inch MBP M1 Max: 12186

Why would there be a difference between these two when the chip is the same, and would the M1 Max Studio potentially be better or worse I'm wondering now..

Last edited:

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
For multicore It gives:

16 inch MBP M1 Max: 12233
14 inch MBP M1 Max: 12186

Why would there be a difference between these two when the chip is the same, and would the M1 Max Studio potentially be better or worse I'm wondering now..
I am confused. In your first post you mention you have a 16" Intel MBP. However the benchmark you provided is for the 16" M1 Max MBP. Did I miss something?

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I am confused. In your first post you mention you have a 16" Intel MBP. However the benchmark you provided is for the 16" M1 Max MBP. Did I miss something?

That previous reply was to chabig on the 'existing Max systems' he was asking about. Should have quoted him directly!

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
That previous reply was to chabig on the 'existing Max systems' he was asking about. Should have quoted him directly!
Ahh, thanks for the clarification. The answer: It's GeekBench, a fairly useless benchmark when it comes to saying anything about a system other than how fast it will run GB.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
You also have to consider TDP throttling on MBP whereas there won’t be any for the Studio for most applications.

I have 2018 15” MBP and 2018 Mini (i7) The speed is quite noticeable. especially with any CPU intensive apps.
Mini has a much higher TDP compared to MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.