Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2014
Romania
I'm staying on iOS 9 for the time being, you'll pry my slide to unlock from my cold dead hands!

Is there any trick that would prevent it from downloading the iOS 10 update every time there's a new one? It's not like I'm planning to install them.

I do have automatic downloads for everything disabled in 'iTunes & App Stores' but it doesn't help.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm staying on iOS 9 for the time being, you'll pry my slide to unlock from my cold dead hands!

Is there any trick that would prevent it from downloading the iOS 10 update every time there's a new one? It's not like I'm planning to install them.

I do have automatic downloads for everything disabled in 'iTunes & App Stores' but it doesn't help.

1. Open the Settings app and go to "General."
  2. Choose "Storage & iCloud Usage."
  3. Go to "Manage Storage."
  4. Locate the iOS software update that is nagging you and tap on it.
  5. Tap on "Delete Update" and confirm that you want to delete the update.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

Go HERE and install the Apple TV profile to your iPhone. It will prevent any future iOS updates from automatically downloading and you will not get any notifications that there are updates. It will not harm your phone in any way to do this.

Reactions: C DM

nottorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2014
Romania
  • Open the Settings app and go to "General."
  • Choose "Storage & iCloud Usage."
  • Go to "Manage Storage."
  • Locate the iOS software update that is nagging you and tap on it.
  • Tap on "Delete Update" and confirm that you want to delete the update

That only works until there's a new update, sadly. Afterwards it gets downloaded and the nagging starts again.

Go HERE and install the Apple TV profile to your iPhone. It will prevent any future iOS updates from automatically downloading and you will not get any notifications that there are updates. It will not harm your phone in any way to do this.

Hmm quite involved. Thanks, but I need to research it a bit. I randomly do developer stuff on that phone and I'm not sure how it will interfere with that. I might just live with the updates.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
That only works until there's a new update, sadly. Afterwards it gets downloaded and the nagging starts again.

Hmm quite involved. Thanks, but I need to research it a bit. I randomly do developer stuff on that phone and I'm not sure how it will interfere with that. I might just live with the updates.
It's not involved at all. It takes two seconds to install this profile on your phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Just a tap or two to install the profile and all it does is redirect where it checks for iOS updates (and since it will be looking for tvOS updates that aren't compatible with the decide it simply won't show as any being available and thus will not offer an update or download one automatically). No effect on anything else.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Security updates <-------------------------------> Convenience

OP, you do realize that you're trading security updates for convenience, right? I would never do such a thing. But, to each their own I suppose.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2014
Romania
Security updates <-------------------------------> Convenience

OP, you do realize that you're trading security updates for convenience, right? I would never do such a thing. But, to each their own I suppose.

I'm one of the few for which my phone isn't my main internet device, so I don't really care. Hard to get infected when you don't browse unknown sites on it and don't install new apps.

P.S.: I don't even lock my phone with a pass code.

[doublepost=1496263582][/doublepost]
Just a tap or two to install the profile and all it does is redirect where it checks for iOS updates (and since it will be looking for tvOS updates that aren't compatible with the decide it simply won't show as any being available and thus will not offer an update or download one automatically). No effect on anything else.

Yeah, I posted this before i read the comments saying I don't need most of the steps if i just want iOS to stop downloading stuff. I can live with the badge on settings.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.