Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I'll probably wait until it launches to see what fits it. I would like the case to have a snug fit, so maybe I will get one designed specifically for the iPad, but if people have good results with regular netbook cases I will go with that if its cheaper.

I have always been a big fan of Waterfield designs so maybe I will get a sleeve from them. Their stuff pretty much lasts forever and looks awesome.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Just make sure you measure the inside. The iPad's screen is larger and a different ratio than most netbooks have. There should be enough width, but make sure you've got enough height in the case. I've got a 10" screen ASUS EEE, and there is no way the iPad would fit in its case.

iPad: 9.5" wide x 7.5" tall x 1/2" thick.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I was trying to decide on a simple case to carry my iPad around and use to store around the house. I had read somewhere that Netbook cases would work so picked up an HP netbook case at Wal-mart for $19.99. It zips open and is extra soft on the inside and seems like it will work.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computer/categories/carrying_cases/1/accessories/NF869AA%2523ABA

Anyone else doing the same?

That's an attractive case. I like the graphic design on it :)

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I think another problem with using netbook sleeves is they tend to be much thicker than what the iPad needs. Netbooks, due to their clamshell/laptop like design are thicker than the iPad's .5" which means netbook accessories will also be thicker. With that said, if you can find one at a pretty decent price, then it should be somewhat adequate until other options are available.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
The good thing about mine is I picked it up at Wal-mart so if it doesn't work out, I'll return it in pristine condition and look for another.

I'm hoping it does fit since the case walls are very plush and the interior is super soft.

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
The one I bought is 8.4" x 11.3" so there is plenty of room for the iPad. I actually wish it was a little smaller so there wouldn't be as much excess room.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I bought this case from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036BKOYC/ref=oss_product

It says it is for an iPad, although I think they just took a netbook case and slapped that description on it. I got it in the mail the other day. For $12.21, I can't complain. Obviously I don't have the iPad yet, and the case is 11.4 inches by 8 inches x 1 inch. So the dimensions will work, even if it is slightly taller than the iPad. Not super thrilled with the teal interior, but its not like you can see the interior all the time. It's faux suede and it's really just a simple black zipper case, but it will work for me until I get the official Apple case. It's small enough that I can easily tuck it under my arm and carry it. I don't plan on doing tons of travel with the iPad though, just from home to work and maybe a friend's house or so.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I just ordered this one http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K62911US-Reversible-Sleeve-Netbooks/dp/B001WAK6H4. iLounge mentioned it and I guess Kensington is advertising it for the iPad. $5.95 + Free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime means I get it before Saturday. :D

This should do until the other cases roll out. I really want a folio case that has multiple stand angles. I really like the Macally Bookstand, but their main site is more expensive than 3rd party sites offering the same product and I'm holding out for black.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Caselogic vna-210

Bought this one. Designed for 10.2inch netbook. It has a dedicated compartment, plus another one for the charger and pens, etc. It has a shoulder strap, which is handy for me when I travel, since I have my suitcase, golf clubs and my computer( now Ipad ). I will be using the Apple case cover and just slide it into my caselogic case. On Caselogic website. $19.99 plus shipping

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.