Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
hey guys,

I use iCloud Keychain and text replacement. I noticed that text replacement doesn’t work anymore when Keychain is enabled. For example when I want to login to MacRumors, the keyboard shows me the “Password
Tab or even my account. When I click on it, it prompts me to verify by my fingerprint.
But I cannot use text replacement anymore to e.g. fill in another mail address.

Does anyone else have the same problem? I already filed a bug report. It may help if other people do the same.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Just tested this, you are right it doesn’t work. I’ll file a bug report too.

But why use this though? The login should already be in your keychain.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012

Perfectly valid use case that someone may have multiple accounts, or family members might each have their own accounts and use a shared iPad, and not want to store the password for all of them.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015

What GreyOS said :)

Thanks for filing a bug report to!
Maybe we can convince other to do the same!

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I already have multiple bug reports filed for macOS regarding text replacements. For example, go to iCal and click to make a new event. Notice that text replacement doesn't work in the title?

And don't get me started that 90% of my text replacements disappeared when I moved to Mojave, but reappeared today after upgrading to latest public beta.

I really don't understand how 1) it can be so hard to sync, took several years for them to move to CloudKit, and 2) have it accessible everywhere in the system.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
I already have multiple bug reports filed for macOS regarding text replacements. For example, go to iCal and click to make a new event. Notice that text replacement doesn't work in the title?

And don't get me started that 90% of my text replacements disappeared when I moved to Mojave, but reappeared today after upgrading to latest public beta.

I really don't understand how 1) it can be so hard to sync, took several years for them to move to CloudKit, and 2) have it accessible everywhere in the system.
I don’t know! especially as Apple is supposed to focus on small details

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Just thought to test this. I have Keychain enabled and am running the latest betas of macOS and iOS; text replacement, as found in System Preferences and Settings, is working fine and syncing cross-device properly for me.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Just thought to test this. I have Keychain enabled and am running the latest betas of macOS and iOS; text replacement, as found in System Preferences and Settings, is working fine and syncing cross-device properly for me.
Lucky you. Apparently it doesnt work for a few including me.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Does it work for you in username fields? That’s the key part you didn’t mention.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Does it work for you in username fields? That’s the key part you didn’t mention.

Must be an isolated bug, as text replacement into username fields worked at pnc.com and apple.com.

EDIT: works on macOS, but not iOS.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Still not working in latest beta. I started to worry maybe this is on purpose, a way to discourage you from doing this for security reasons. But I’m not sure that holds up...?

Also, you can briefly see your text replacement appear above the keyboard before it’s replaced by “Passwords”. If it doesn’t happen at first try backspacing and adding the last character of your shortcut again, you should see it very briefly. This makes me think it’s a bug, with “Passwords” incorrectly overriding the text replacement suggestion.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Still not working in latest beta. I started to worry maybe this is on purpose, a way to discourage you from doing this for security reasons. But I’m not sure that holds up...?

Also, you can briefly see your text replacement appear above the keyboard before it’s replaced by “Passwords”. If it doesn’t happen at first try backspacing and adding the last character of your shortcut again, you should see it very briefly. This makes me think it’s a bug, with “Passwords” incorrectly overriding the text replacement suggestion.
Exactly this is what I see as well! Shortly before password appears, I’ll see the text replacement. It can’t be on purpose but Apple is just ridiculous!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just letting everyone know, it's now 2018 - almost 2019 and this is still an issue. That's APPLE for ya, amirite?
Some more obscure bugs can exist in all kinds of software to a while. That's the (perhaps unfortunate) reality for you.

Bladery

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Some more obscure bugs can exist in all kinds of software to a while. That's the (perhaps unfortunate) reality for you.

Well, this is not an obscure bug but a serious failure!
This bug is so apparent as well especially regarding that apple was in the news because text replacement failed to Sync properly. And keychain is a heavy feature which was advertised by apple in iOS 12. So both are very recent and there is no way in not fixing this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, this is not an obscure bug but a serious failure!
This bug is so apparent as well especially regarding that apple was in the news because text replacement failed to Sync properly. And keychain is a heavy feature which was advertised by apple in iOS 12. So both are very recent and there is no way in not fixing this.
And despite all that, on a site where the tiniest of things can get into many multiple page threads, this one hasn't seem to have gotten much interest. The obscurity that I was referring to wasn't in relation to the existence of the issue or its impact on those who observe and are affected by it, but to the prevalence and impact of that issue on the userbase as a whole.

Reactions: digitalexplr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.