Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
At the moment Im thinking about getting rid off of my MBP and getting the new iMac. Right now, I use my iPad Pro as my main device and, so I don't see the point of owning a MacBook pro. So the new iMac would be perfect. Anybody else went from owning a MacBook Pro, to an iMac as is happy with their decision. I think an iPad Pro and iMac is the best combo and makes more sense to me.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
MBP 15/16 is my portable and works quite well with the dGPU. My iPad is just for casual usage. MacOS is where I get work done. I'm still holding out for iMac 27" replacement. iMac is definitely my preferred workstation for things like Lightroom, Logic, Final Cut, or even reading two documents side by side. The extra space really makes a difference. It's also a more ergonomic experience.

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
My setup has been a 27" iMac and a 12.9" iPad Pro for over 5 years now. I love it. Perfect combo for me, as I work from my home office on the iMac and when I'm not sitting at my desk I use the iPad Pro (as a tablet; no keyboard case). I don't really need to work away from home, but I can do some things when I need to on the iPad.
Prior to getting the iMac in early 2016, I had a 15.4" MacBook Pro, but, like you, didn't feel it was the right Mac to pair with my large iPad.

Reactions: Moonjumper

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Currently running a 2015 MBA with Thunderbolt display and have a new iMac on order. iMac will be my primary machine and the MBA will be used when traveling. I keep everything in iCloud so easy to keep both machines in sync.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Why even get an iMac if the iPad Pro is your main machine. Maybe you don't need a Mac at all.

Maybe you just get an external monitor and m/k?

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
My setup has been a 27" iMac and a 12.9" iPad Pro for over 5 years now. I love it. Perfect combo for me, as I work from my home office on the iMac and when I'm not sitting at my desk I use the iPad Pro (as a tablet; no keyboard case). I don't really need to work away from home, but I can do some things when I need to on the iPad.
Prior to getting the iMac in early 2016, I had a 15.4" MacBook Pro, but, like you, didn't feel it was the right Mac to pair with my large iPad.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking about doing. It’s the perfect combo for school

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I am very similar, except I swapped my 15” MBP for a late 2015 27” iMac a little later. In my case I’d had an iMac previously, and realised swapping to a MacBook Pro was a mistake, especially when I got the larger iPad Pro.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
My current setup is a 16” MBP. But I 99% of the time use it in clamshell mode with keyboard, trackpad, and 2 displays. So I’m “downgrading” to an iMac and keeping 1 of the displays. I also have an iPad Pro on the way if I need any portable stuff, and we have an M1 MBA in the house for anything the iPad can’t handle. After using a significantly lower spec’d (on paper) M1 machine, I realized it runs circles around my i9 32GB MBP for most thing (not all) that I use it for.

So, yes, I’m going from MBP to iMac. And I personally love the colors. Everything I own is bland and drab, shades of grey and black. I’m looking forward to livening up mi office at home.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
..... After using a significantly lower spec’d (on paper) M1 machine, I realized it runs circles around my i9 32GB MBP for most thing (not all) that I use it for.

So, yes, I’m going from MBP to iMac. And I personally love the colors. Everything I own is bland and drab, shades of grey and black. I’m looking forward to livening up mi office at home.
Yes same here - the 16" MBP is not what I like to use as it's hot, thermal throttles, fans spin up, and battery life is awful.

My replacement has been the base M1 Mini and I have to also agree it runs circles around my twice the price 16" MBP.

Can't wait for the base iMac in blue!

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
Moving from 2016 15" MBP to new iMac. I mainly WFH and don't really move around my MBP anymore, plus the battery really needs a replacement.

thatsteez

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
I've always had a MBP and have hooked it to a monitor.

The MBP is a 2012 and I've been waiting for the iMac refresh. Wanted a 27", but bit the bullet as the MBP deserves some rest.

I eventually plan to grab a M1 MBA for on the go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.