Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
I recently switched to Safari because I've been getting these huge lag spikes in Chrome and can't find a way to fix them. I watch a lot of YouTube, typically at 1.5x speed, and Chrome and Firefox both work some magic so that the audio sounds normal even at playback speeds higher than 1x. Safari doesn't do this, so any speed above 1x sounds high-pitched and just really bad.

Is there any workaround to get this in Safari?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
huh, never tried that before (and, full disclosure, won't again ? ); but it seems fine here; just faster, not higher-pitched. have you rebooted? otherwise, wondering if it's something with your hardware... (but you said it's fine in chrome & firefox)... ?

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
huh, never tried that before (and, full disclosure, won't again ? ); but it seems fine here; just faster, not higher-pitched. have you rebooted? otherwise, wondering if it's something with your hardware... (but you said it's fine in chrome & firefox)... ?
Uh, can you test if it sounds different in Safari than it does in Chrome? Try playing the same video at 1.5x in Safari and Chrome and you should hear a clear difference.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Uh, can you test if it sounds different in Safari than it does in Chrome? Try playing the same video at 1.5x in Safari and Chrome and you should hear a clear difference.
but that's what i did, i used safari.... and all i heard was a speed-up, not a higher pitch.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
I have been able to find a number of other threads on this issue, but no fix so far. :s Would love to be able to fully migrate to Safari, but for now I guess I have to keep using both browsers.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
UPDATE: I have found a decent solution for this, which allows me to use only Safari instead of relying on Chrome for YouTube videos. Here are the instructions.

1. Install IINA, a really nice video player for Mac.
2. Enable the "Open in IINA" extension for Safari.
3. It probably won't work. If it doesn't, install homebrew if you haven't already and then follow the "Use your own binary" instructions here. Restart IINA.
4. Instead of needing to switch browsers, you can now click the IINA icon on your Safari toolbar to open any YouTube video you want to watch at higher than 1x speed in IINA. IINA sounds like Chrome or Firefox rather than screwed up like Safari.

Reactions: marcoacero

marcoacero

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2021
UPDATE: I have found a decent solution for this, which allows me to use only Safari instead of relying on Chrome for YouTube videos. Here are the instructions.

1. Install IINA, a really nice video player for Mac.
2. Enable the "Open in IINA" extension for Safari.
3. It probably won't work. If it doesn't, install homebrew if you haven't already and then follow the "Use your own binary" instructions here. Restart IINA.
4. Instead of needing to switch browsers, you can now click the IINA icon on your Safari toolbar to open any YouTube video you want to watch at higher than 1x speed in IINA. IINA sounds like Chrome or Firefox rather than screwed up like Safari.
I found the same solution as well, far from ideal but it does work. I am still using edge for macOS for video playback. This issue is not related only to youtube but to video playback in general, speeding up a video in a number of sites gives the same audio distortion.

Reactions: collin_

Jaredk8

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
It's bad enough to be a Safari dealbreaker for me too. The distortion is most noticable with speech I find. The most bothersome part for me is that on Safari when I change the speed of a YouTube video there is a short pause, whereas on Firefox the speed changes instantly.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
It's bad enough to be a Safari dealbreaker for me too. The distortion is most noticable with speech I find. The most bothersome part for me is that on Safari when I change the speed of a YouTube video there is a short pause, whereas on Firefox the speed changes instantly.
Yeah I can’t believe Apple hasn’t fixed this yet. I provided a roundabout solution a few posts above but I really wish they’d just fix the issue.

Terrorform

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2023
Feb 2023 and Apple still hasn't fixed this yet.
I looked around online and see people commenting about this issue for the past 3 years.

I was actually going to switch to Safari, but this is a deal breaker for me.
Such a shame.

iite

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2023
I guess it is probably how WebKit proforms differently compared to Chromium.

Omaliy

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2023
Guys, this is, FINALLY, fixed on the Safari technology preview. May be stable release on Sonoma.

Just downloaded the technology preview to check and I can confirm it is fixed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.