Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serrano

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
Quick update.
So far, so good on my Dell U4025QW monitor. Again, using one of the 2019 style Mac Pros on my end.

I upgraded OSX to 14.4.1 without any problems....although I did do the update overnight and in the morning the screen was weird acting, I did a reboot and all was fine.

Anyone yet able to get 120hz refresh rate on a Mac?

Thank you in advance,

S

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
Anyone yet able to get 120hz refresh rate on a Mac?
setzer in the UltraWideMasters subreddit has researched and posted an excellent solution using BetterDisplay to set up 100Hz or 110Hz. His testing at 120Hz was unsuccessful/

I was stuck at the 60Hz limit on an M1 Ultra (regardless of DisplayPort, DaisyChained Display Port, USB-C to DisplayPort high quality cable, Thunderbolt 4) on 12.7.3. Now the U4025QW is working perfectly for me at 110Hz over DisplayPort on M1 Ultra. Should work properly on Pro/Max versions as well. Give it a shot. All the comments at reddit are positive.

If the thread disappears for any reason, let me know. I have all the primary materials saved locally and could repost them to MacRumors.

PS. Thanks to Mac owners' advice here and on Reddit, I've not upgraded the firmware from M3T101 to M3T102, nor installed any of the Dell add-on software. The built-in Apple colour profile seems to match the calibration of the monitor well. Even uncalibrated sRGB seems to be good enough for photo work (checking against past body of calibrated photos I know well). Eventually I'll custom calibrate my own U4025QW but for those who don't have calibration tools, calibration software and don't want to go down that rabbit hole just yet, out of the box looks good enough for even semi-pro work (sRGB only).

Last edited:

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
setzer in the UltraWideMasters subreddit has researched and posted an excellent solution using BetterDisplay to set up 100Hz or 110Hz. His testing at 120Hz was unsuccessful/

I was stuck at the 60Hz limit on an M1 Ultra (regardless of DisplayPort, DaisyChained Display Port, USB-C to DisplayPort high quality cable, Thunderbolt 4) on 12.7.3. Now the U4025QW is working perfectly for me at 110Hz over DisplayPort on M1 Ultra. Should work properly on Pro/Max versions as well. Give it a shot. All the comments at reddit are positive.

If the thread disappears for any reason, let me know. I have all the primary materials saved locally and could repost them to MacRumors.

PS. Thanks to Mac owners' advice here and on Reddit, I've not upgraded the firmware from M3T101 to M3T102, nor installed any of the Dell add-on software. The built-in Apple colour profile seems to match the calibration of the monitor well. Even uncalibrated sRGB seems to be good enough for photo work (checking against past body of calibrated photos I know well). Eventually I'll custom calibrate my own U4025QW but for those who don't have calibration tools, calibration software and don't want to go down that rabbit hole just yet, out of the box looks good enough for even semi-pro work (sRGB only).
That's very cool. But it's pretty annoying that MacOS makes us do this hackie crap to get non-Apple monitors working. I had to do different (but similar) stuff to get HDR to work on my Dell 6K. At least that's sort of fixed in the latest Sonoma - but only sort of.

AHBRAXAS

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2024
Got mine yesterday. Using Mac Studio with M1 Max I am unable to get 120Hz via Tb to DP cable, or TB4 cable. Tried native 5K2K resolution and scaled and can only choose 60Hz as max
I think there is an option on the monitor menu that you have to deactivate in order to squeeze the refresh rate. Does the text looks sharp enough? Any problem with scalation?

Arise2B

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2019
Ok, finally got mine (have been waiting for it for 2 months in Europe). The first surprise that it seem to get 120Hz (and even variable 48-120Hz) on MacBook Pro 16 2019. I did not believe it first, but different switches back and forth and tests do show that it is indeed 120Hz (got an MBP16M1 from work to compare - refresh rates looks similar on the monitor connected to the MBP2019 and the standalone MBPM1).. So does Radeon 5500M work better with refresh rates than M1 & M2? I got Sonoma 14.4.1 and now I am afraid to upgrade, since things seem to work nice out of the box. 😃

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: foliovision

Arise2B

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2019
Btw, I have noticed that the top left and top right corners have a pattern of 3-4 dots / sort of markings of the assembly on the glass frame outside of the screen. Since the markings are very similar from the left and from the right I assume it is normal, or is it only on my specimen?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.