Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Considering replacing my current soundbar with a pair of HomePods. The bar has been acting up recently and a pair of HomePods would actually be less expensive than a replacement bar of the type I have. I have the latest Apple TV 4K and I understand this is possible but I want to get information on actual experiences.

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2024
I have done so in the past. And after a few Apple TVOS iterations it worked quite well.

The quality was reasonably well in my opinion, but I'm no audio connoisseur by any standard.

Stopped using them when we got a bigger tv, and there wasn't any place on the tv table. Have you got any specific question?

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Thanks for the reply. Currently my soundbar has 2 HDMI-in ports to which I have my ATV and a Fios cable box connected; then the bar is connected to the tv, eARC to eARC. I had to do it this way because of a lip sync issue when the Fios box was connected directly to the tv. I don’t remember whether there was any such issue with the ATV but decided to just do both this way. Then I just change the inputs on the bar to get either the ATV or Fios to display on the tv.

But, as mentioned, this bar has started to have frequent issues with the audio failing altogether and having to unplug it each time to get the audio back. I’m concerned that might get worse. Looking at the HomePods it seems that I might get equally acceptable audio performance with an easier to control system. The soundbar is massive so there would not be an issue placing the HomePod speakers.

After connecting the 2 devices, ATV and Fios, to the tv, I only use those 2, what would be the steps to set the audio to play on the HomePods, especially when just watching tv through the Fios box with the ATV off? And what steps would be necessary when turning the tv on in the morning to get the box’s audio going on the HomePods?

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2024
I'm not familiar with a Fios, I've used my ATV in combination with a PS4pro. The ATV was connected to the TV (on the e-arc connection) and the PS4 on a different HDMI. I had to fiddle with the ATV settings but after a while the sound of the PS4 was audible on the HomePods with no sync issue (in my perception)

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
I'm not familiar with a Fios
It’s just a cable/dvr box that provides our tv service. Previously I had a soundbar that was connected to the tv by an optical cable. The bar didn’t have HDMI ports. At that time the cable box was connected to the tv not the soundbar. There was no syncing issue. But I upgraded to a higher end soundbar that had HDMI ports and the instructions were to use an HDMI cable to connect to the tv. However that resulted in significant audio syncing issues with the cable box connected to the tv.

I found posts on multiple forums complaining of this issue because of the HDMI connection versus an optical cable. So I tried connecting the cable box to the soundbar instead. That fixed the syncing issue. At that time I never checked for the issue on the ATV but since the soundbar has 2 input ports I connected both the ATV and cable box to it instead of to the tv.

Hopefully there won’t be such an issue with the HomePods but I still need the exact steps for setting this up from those who have used them this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.