Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It’s primarily dev choice, I agree. Developer choice allows for greater consumer choice though.
You would think competition is great for consumers. Not when competition is at the expense of government regulation.
Not „now“.

Developer have always been able to pull their apps from the iOS App Store. And many did. Some releasing a „new“ version that you‘d have to pay for again - and some discontinuing the app altogether, figuring out is wasn‘t worth their while.

It’s not as if anything has fundamentally changed or choice was taken away by regulators/new law.
Sure what’s changed is that copycat apps, scamware apps etc now have a greater chance of slipping through. A race to the bottom.
So what would you do when a developer pulled their app and only put it on the play store in the past?
It’s gone from iOS. But this is whack a mole and it’s moving the goalposts of less consumer choice.

Reactions: strongy

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
It’s gone from iOS. But this is whack a mole and it’s moving the goalposts of less consumer choice.
You’re the one moving the needle.
The last 15 years iOS developers have removed their apps from the AppStore to only have it available on the play store.

What is the actual difference to developers being able to use an alternative iOS store? Both scenarios the app is removed from the AppStore and put on a different store?

why don’t you use the same logical reasoning as before?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You’re the one moving the needle.
The last 15 years iOS developers have removed their apps from the AppStore to only have it available on the play store.

What is the actual difference to developers being able to use an alternative iOS store? Both scenarios the app is removed from the AppStore and put on a different store?

why don’t you use the same logical reasoning as before?
Nope. This is an anti-consumer move under the guise of breaking apple because - consumers.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Nope. This is an anti-consumer move under the guise of breaking apple because - consumers.
You still didn’t answer the question.

between July 10, 2008- march 06, 23:59 2024
Developers could have their app in the AppStore, and decide to pull it and only make it available on alternative store fronts with a higher barrier of access for a consumer

After march 07, 00:01 2024
Developers can have their app in the AppStore, and decide to pull it and only make it available on alternative store fronts with less barriers to access for consumers than before

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
I hope the EU does something about that, I want to be able to distribute my apps as free IPAs to be able to freely install.

Actually, scratch that - I want to install my own apps on my own phone.
I will just leave this from DMA Article 13 in malicious compliance

3. The gatekeeper shall ensure that the obligations of Articles 5, 6 and 7 are fully and effectively complied with.
4. The gatekeeper shall not engage in any behaviour that undermines effective compliance with the obligations of Articles 5, 6 and 7 regardless of whether that behaviour is of a contractual, commercial or technical nature, or of any other nature, or consists in the use of behavioural techniques or interface design.

7. Where the gatekeeper circumvents or attempts to circumvent any of the obligations in Article 5, 6, or 7 in a manner described in paragraphs 4, 5 and 6 of this Article, the Commission may open proceedings pursuant to Article 20 and adopt an implementing act referred to in Article 8(2) in order to specify the measures that the gatekeeper is to implement.

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
Random poster: AltStore can't afford this!
AltStore: We're in!
It's true that AltStore tweeted they're applying as a legit alt store (lol) but the tweet is referring to the idiocy of the Core Platform tax. The same reasoning can be applied to any other store

Reactions: dk001

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You still didn’t answer the question.

between July 10, 2008- march 06, 23:59 2024
Developers could have their app in the AppStore, and decide to pull it and only make it available on alternative store fronts with a higher barrier of access for a consumer

After march 07, 00:01 2024
Developers can have their app in the AppStore, and decide to pull it and only make it available on alternative store fronts with less barriers to access for consumers than before
Yes, it’s less choice for consumers and more to devs and big business devs. Witness epic claiming they are coming back to the iPhone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just because you now have to google the name of an app to know where it is (which many already did because the App Store search sucks) doesn't mean this is anti consumer.
That’s exactly what it means. The EU won, they threaded the needle and apple caved, but that doesn’t mean it’s a particularly good piece of legislation. Competition by government regulation almost always isnt.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Yes, it’s less choice for consumers and more to devs and big business devs. Witness epic claiming they are coming back to the iPhone.
But how is it less choice?
What’s the difference between the two?

What is the difference for the consumer if a developer pull their app from the AppStore and put their app in:

1. the play store
  2. the alt store
  3. All of them

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
But how is it less choice?
What’s the difference between the two?

What is the difference for the consumer if a developer pull their app from the AppStore and put their app in:

1. the play store
  2. the alt store
  3. All of them
Less choice because now consumers will have to go to possibly less secured app stores as well as possibly less secure apps as well as going where the dev goes rather than the iOS App Store. That’s how.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Less choice because now consumers will have to go to possibly less secured app stores as well as possibly less secure apps as well as going where the dev goes rather than the iOS App Store. That’s how.
You are quite literally ignoring the question every time

Again how is this different from the developer putting their app on the play store

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
“Everyone” in that context meaning console gamers. There is an implicit understanding that the system is locked down in large part to prevent cheating.
I, and most people bought their Phone with that same understanding.
Phones should be treated differently because they are general purpose computers.
I would class them as multi-purpose computers, not general purpose, at least until an iDevice runs MacOS.
I think you and I are talking about two different things. Apple has many, many systems in place for security. They are just taking the control too far. That’s all I’m saying.
I'm a firm believe you cannot achieve the current level of security AND software freedom simultaneously existing on a device.
Maybe you don’t remember the early 90s which was the last time anyone really made a big deal about it, but software freedom is a real issue. That’s my concern.
Government overreach is mine.

The train has left the station, we'll see what happens.

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
If there are more stores there are more choices, by definition.

• Angry
Reactions: dk001 and strongy

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
The question is straw man designed to move the goalpost.
In what way is it a strawman?

Is it not objectively true?

You have at multiple instances said: use android instead
why is this a legitimate defense when a developer leaves the AppStore for an alternative that doesn’t run on iOS the previous 15 years?

But it’s not a legitimate defense when a developer leaves the AppStore for an alternative that can run on iOS after the 7th march 2024?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
In what way is it a strawman?

Is it not objectively true?

You have at multiple instances said: use android instead
why is this a legitimate defense when a developer leaves the AppStore for an alternative that doesn’t run on iOS the previous 15 years?

But it’s not a legitimate defense when a developer leaves the AppStore for an alternative that can run on iOS after the 7th march 2024?
Just in general and as I said elsewhere, what’s done is done. Everybody can now be a Monday morning quarterback.

arobert3434

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
Has Facebook (Instagram, Whatsapp) left the Google PlayStore?
Good point. I haven't used Android and was going by my experience with the Mac App Store. And apps like Facebook that aren't products have less motivation to reduce their audience by leaving the main App tore, unless they would avoid having to follow the same privacy policies that way, which isn't the case here.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I, and most people bought their Phone with that same understanding.

Can't argue that you did. I don't think most people buy their phone with any understanding, really. Gamers may be slightly more aware since game consoles aren't necessities like phones are. Probably not much understanding there either. I suppose everyone agrees via EULA.

I would class them as multi-purpose computers, not general purpose, at least until an iDevice runs MacOS.

I guess my only real point is that while that statement is fair enough, I don't want to ever see that limitation be put on macOS. I think Apple would do it if they could get away with it. So I'm glad to see as much pushback as possible, if only to provide some balance.

I'm a firm believe you cannot achieve the current level of security AND software freedom simultaneously existing on a device.

Honestly you may be right about that. My concern with Apple is that they do things that just don't have anything to do with security and are simply about restricting other freedoms. I don't want to see them abuse their position, that's all.

Government overreach is mine.

The train has left the station, we'll see what happens.

Mine as well, and yeah it has. That's why I like to see pushback there too, for what it's worth.

I think it's good for some of these things to go to court so we can finally have some clarity on things that companies have just been doing without really being certain if it's something they should be doing or not, just that they can get away with.

Unfortunately the key players making most of the noise seem to be Tim Sweeney, the EU, and a few clueless grandstanding US senators. I don't trust them to have a productive conversation about this. Too many agendas.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Chuckle.
I am heavily into both environments and became even more concerned about Apple back when they looked to roll out the CSAM tool. I can easily say that security on my S23U/S24U is superior than my 15PM. Sure there are slightly more areas a user can get mired however the user interactions occur predominately via text/email (phishing) than apps. If you are an Android user and are concerned about the chance of a rouge app, stick to OEM and Google stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.