Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnson38464

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2023
So I need help with figuring out where the cords go. I have a 2016 windows xp laptop so Im trying to make it work.
From what I know, the power cord goes to the power adapter (I already have), don't know if the firewire cord is the most important cable to connect to right now, the usb cord is easy to understand, but what I don't understand is the DVI cord. It's a dual link DVI cable, but I don't know how to connect it to the laptop. I also saw some adapters online that could work, but don't know which would work the best. Any help?
1686518521043.jpeg

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You can't convert DVI to VGA, that's going digital to analog. If your laptop doesn't have a DVI port, you can't connect it to that monitor. The monitor also requires some vram, 32mb I believe.
Also the 20 and 23-inch displays aren't dual-link DVI, just regular DVI. You don't need to plug in the USB or Firewire ports unless you wanted to use the passthrough ports on the monitor.

Reactions: hg.wells

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
You can't convert DVI to VGA, that's going digital to analog. If your laptop doesn't have a DVI port, you can't connect it to that monitor. The monitor also requires some vram, 32mb I believe.
Also the 20 and 23-inch displays aren't dual-link DVI, just regular DVI. You don't need to plug in the USB or Firewire ports unless you wanted to use the passthrough ports on the monitor.
You can get adapters from DVI to HDMI/Displayport/USB C. If it is a 2016 laptop it should have least one of those.

Reactions: mectojic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.