Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Tim Cook’s primary responsibility is to Apple shareholders as well as maximizing shareholder value and profits. Standard capitalism. Apple has already made huge investments in China and the revenue stream is an important part of their business. Jeopardizing revenue and market share would not be interpreted as a beneficial or profitable action.
The disagreement is what is the most significant long term goal. Some might say this will negatively impact investors in the long term, while other will say it will be good.

Short term revenue isn’t of importance. And maximizing shareholder value/profit isn’t their responsibility. Their responsibility is to the company board firstly and secondly to their customer base. Shareholders are investors who might try to influence their actions or believe the board will do profitable decisions.
When Apple entered into the China market they made a choice to play by the rules which govern that state. Corporate or individual ideals were no longer the highest authority of decision making.

People replay the virtue signaling and outrage every time Apple makes a change to comply with Chinese law. Unless Apple wants to become an idealist and push back against Chinese authorities or intentionally pull out of that market, Apple will continue to abide by the rules. How all of that affects your purchasing decisions is for you and you alone to decide.
Apple did that to themselves, it’s part of their brand recognition and marketing. They stand for user privacy and freedoms. Just how they fought against the FBI getting access to an iPhone.
This isn’t just about money. China and Russia require foreign companies to have people in country, people who can be “arrested” if the foreign company steps out of line. It’s not Apple’s responsibility to try to change China by single-handedly defying their laws.

To be clear I think what China is doing is absolutely abhorrent but I don’t know what else Apple is supposed to do here. They defied it as best they could for as long as they could.
Apple could have just left or stood their ground, but China has them by the balls so they can’t do anything really. The problem is Apple have publicly and officially states what their beliefs are, their foundational principles and beliefs in privacy.

People tend to get a little upset when every time these principles are challenged they always lose next to their monetary goals. That’s fine but spineless.

Reactions: klasma

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
🤪Oh look at that…. If only Apple users had the ability to circumvent the AppStore to install apps. But the AppStore is so secure and safe from any government censorship. Apple would only remove things breaking their terms of service. Pinky promise 🤪

Imagine if side loading was possible how the government would use it to prevent freedom somehow 🤪

China would simply not allow side loaded apps or require phones to report installed apps that are forbidden. Never underestimate an authoritarian regime's efforts to exert control to stay in power.

Short term revenue isn’t of importance. And maximizing shareholder value/profit isn’t their responsibility. Their responsibility is to the company board firstly and secondly to their customer base. Shareholders are investors who might try to influence their actions or believe the board will do profitable decisions.

Their first responsibility is to shareholders and to maximize the company's value. Customers are how you do that.

Reactions: twolf2919

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yes what's with people feeling they NEED an app for every website these days?

I don't get it. If anything, I actively avoid 'apps for websites'. Like sure if a standalone app is needed for something I'll download it, but why use an app as a wrapper for a website? I want the rich experience (which is why the iPhone has pinch gestures and the like in the first place - so that you don't have to download apps that are clunky, stripped down versions of websites).
I actually like apps, but not as simple web wrappers. Websites are websites, and they belong to the browser. But, with services such as Spotify, I prefer the native app experience over the web.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
China would simply not allow side loaded apps or require phones to report installed apps that are forbidden. Never underestimate an authoritarian regime's efforts to exert control to stay in power.
It wouldn’t be something they could prevent. Just how android phones, macOS,windows, Ubuntu etc etc are fundamentally able to install applications outside of a store or official sources.
Their first responsibility is to shareholders and to maximize the company's value. Customers are how you do that.
They have zero responsibility to shareholders. There’s no law requiring this.

Shareholders are just glorified loan givers.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Is iMessage available in China? I assume it’s not end to end encrypted for Chinese users if that is the case? What about iCloud Drive?
Interesting questions…

China requires the servers providing iMessage to users in China be located in China, where the Chinese government has administrative access. The servers control key distribution. So even if it is end to end encrypted, China can invisibly add itself to any conversation. This is a known issue and one reason Apple is (supposedly, eventually) releasing iMessage Key Verification.
Sadly, I don’t think they will allow them…

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Apple could have just left or stood their ground, but China has them by the balls so they can’t do anything really. The problem is Apple have publicly and officially states what their beliefs are, their foundational principles and beliefs in privacy.

People tend to get a little upset when every time these principles are challenged they always lose next to their monetary goals. That’s fine but spineless.

So, practically speaking, what they're supposed to do is stop acting so high and mighty. I'll agree with that.

I think it's no secret, especially to the Chinese, that Apple wants to diversify away from China. The geopolitical implications of that are going to be interesting. I know I just said it's not Apple's place to try to change China, but the sheer size of their business has political implications in manufacturing and communications.

I would love to see everything both made and sold in America and around the world, but people keep telling me that's not possible.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
China already blocks the websites of many popular western social media apps like Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube, but iPhone users in China have been able to download their apps from Apple's ‌App Store‌ by using unauthorized VPN services that connect them to an internet server outside the country.

That is only partly true. There are a number of China based influencers on Instagram and some of them are labelled 'State controlled media' even though some are language teachers. There's one rural girl with almost a million followers and all she does is show her farm life and her best friend the family cow.

You can just search the location tag of any Chinese city and see posts from phones all the time from Chinese netizens. It seems some of the people are nepobabies and they don't need VPN. They are from the privileged class and the laws don't apply to them.

There are also many scam accounts coming out of China (also Cambodia and India) that use filtered stolen photos of girls and these are used to target western men with honeytrap scams and pig butchering scams.

If you report them it seems Meta won't do anything and in some cases you will be told that IG saw no problem with the account, including sex pests who randomly connect with anyone including children.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
So, practically speaking, what they're supposed to do is stop acting so high and mighty. I'll agree with that.

I think it's no secret, especially to the Chinese, that Apple wants to diversify away from China. The geopolitical implications of that are going to be interesting. I know I just said it's not Apple's place to try to change China, but the sheer size of their business has political implications in manufacturing and communications.

I would love to see everything both made and sold in America and around the world, but people keep telling me that's not possible.
Do you think there could be a sort of agreement between the Chinese government and Apple Inc. where Apple tries to keep manufacturing in China mainland (PRC), while defending their service’s freedom and lack of concessions to the Chinese government? Excuse me if I didn’t explain myself well enough, I’m not a native speaker.

What I mean is that Apple, after starting this manufacturing diversification between China, Taiwan, India, Vietnam and maybe other countries (such as USA maybe?), could say to the Chinese gov: “look, we can keep investing in manufacturing plants here in China, but you will have to interfere a little less with our products and services”

I guess the Chinese market is so BIG that Apple will still want to appease the Chinese government… well, I guess I can understand it from the business point of view.

PS: I’m curious about your Nick name and if it means anything.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
So this is the way China prevents VPN's being used in the country and thus prevent it's citizens from knowing what is going on in the outside world, basically forcing developers of VPN's to have a work place within the country OR be aligned with a local publisher (which incidentally would automatically force a lot of other laws onto the VPN's) because without either they cannot get an ICP filling which would result in the app developer not being allowed to operate in the country.

It is about time the rest of the world treated China the same way China is treating them. Force Chinese app developers to be registered with the country they want to operate in and if they don't, their app cannot be used.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Is iMessage available in China? I assume it’s not end to end encrypted for Chinese users if that is the case? What about iCloud Drive?
It’s available and encrypted. However, the question is who has access to the encryption keys for Chinese Apple IDs. They are stored in Chinese data centers officially owned by the Chinese government. Draw your own conclusions: https://thehackernews.com/2021/05/how-apple-gave-chinese-government.html

If I were Chinese and didn’t want the Chinese government to see some of my data or communications, personally I wouldn’t use iCloud services for that. The new App Store rules now make it difficult to use anything not approved by the Chinese government though.

Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland

Arguably only the investors in stock at the initial public offering do anything to help the company. After those stocks are traded over and over again, the company accrues no benefit from the trading, and the investors are best thought of as gamblers who can rig the game by threatening CEO's and boards with dismissal if the stock price, dividends, and stock by-backs aren't high enough. This actively works against the company because profits are not reinvested, but go to the stockholders. It's lunacy.

Reactions: haruhiko

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
What I mean is that Apple, after starting this manufacturing diversification between China, Taiwan, India, Vietnam and maybe other countries (such as USA maybe?), could say to the Chinese gov: “look, we can keep investing in manufacturing plants here in China, but you will have to interfere a little less with our products and services”
I don’t think Apple’s investment in China is that big compared to the rest of the Chinese industry, that the Chinese government would feel compelled to agree to that. The risk for the Chinese government from uncontrolled services is much too high.

Reactions: Populus

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Except it's the exact opposite of that and the EU wants Europeans to be free to do what they want with their devices. There's no censorship in the equation.

Free as long as the EU governments have backdoor access to the phones or other devices. For their own good of course. Free to use crypto as long as everything is completely accessible by the state. Free as long as you are not anonymous. No, no censorship at all. No, no plans to be able to impose censorship at will.

Let's face it, there are no (or nearly no) governments worldwide who don't want to control their citizens, spy on their citizens and limit their citizen's freedoms as they see fit. Just ask Snowden, Assange et al.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Always about the $$$
Welcome to capitalism.

Still, surely people here wouldn't want Apple to violate the laws of countries in which it was selling products. Besides it doesn't really have a choice about that - it must comply with local laws. Changing which countries Apple sells products in, on the other hand, is something under Apple's control.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Free as long as the EU governments have backdoor access to the phones or other devices. For their own good of course. Free to use crypto as long as everything is completely accessible by the state. Free as long as you are not anonymous. No, no censorship at all. No, no plans to be able to impose censorship at will.

Let's face it, there are no (or nearly no) governments worldwide who don't want to control their citizens, spy on their citizens and limit their citizen's freedoms as they see fit. Just ask Snowden, Assange et al.
That’s what’s great about EU. We have 27 countries who don’t want their citizens being spied by others. Especially USA or China.

No back door is required to allow side loading. It’s just freedom of the citizens trumping corporate interests

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
It wouldn’t be something they could prevent. Just how android phones, macOS,windows, Ubuntu etc etc are fundamentally able to install applications outside of a store or official sources.

In the US where Apple is incorporated, the Board of Directors of a company most definitely have a fiduciary duty to shareholders. These duties that a BoD owes to shareholders are specified in the statutes of the state that they are organized. And shareholders are most definitely NOT glorified loan givers - they are owners of the company.

There are lots of laws specifying the duty of the board to shareholders and since the board hires and fires management, management has the same duty. In Apple's case, that would be California.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.