Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When introducing the new M4 iPad Pro models, Apple showed a video of a hydraulic press crushing all manner of creative tools, including musical instruments, electronic equipment, arcade games, paint and brushes, computers, cameras, and more, with the aim of demonstrating how the iPad represents all of the tools condensed into a single device.

The ad was a play on the popular hydraulic press videos that are popular across social media sites, but creatives found the concept to be in poor taste. Actor Hugh Grant referred to the ad as the "destruction of the human experience," director Reed Morano told Apple to "read the room" and called it "actually psychotic," and Basecamp CTO David Heinemeier Hansson said it "symbolizes everything everyone has ever hated about digitization."

apple-crush-ad.jpg

The upset over the Crush ad led Apple to issue an apology. In a statement to Ad Age, Apple marketing vice president Tor Myhren said that the video ultimately "missed the mark."
Creativity is in our DNA at Apple, and it's incredibly important to us to design products that empower creatives all over the world. Our goal is to always celebrate the myriad of ways users express themselves and bring their ideas to life through iPad. We missed the mark with this video, and we're sorry.
Apple left the Crush video on its YouTube channel, but the ad won't be running on television.

Article Link: Apple Apologizes for 'Crush' iPad Pro Ad, Won't Put It on TV

PurringPigeon

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2016
I thought this ad was great - I get the intent, all this creativity is embedded in this new slim device allowing you to do any creative thing you want. Anything you want to create, this iPad will be ready to handle it.

People are getting outraged over nothing these days.

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa

When introducing the new M4 iPad Pro models, Apple showed a video of a hydraulic press crushing all manner of creative tools, including musical instruments, electronic equipment, arcade games, paint and brushes, computers, cameras, and more, with the aim of demonstrating how the iPad represents all of the tools condensed into a single device.

The ad was a play on the popular hydraulic press videos that are popular across social media sites, but creatives found the concept to be in poor taste. Actor Hugh Grant referred to the ad as the "destruction of the human experience," director Reed Morano told Apple to "read the room" and called it "actually psychotic," and Basecamp CTO David Heinemeier Hansson said it "symbolizes everything everyone has ever hated about digitization."

apple-crush-ad.jpg

The upset over the Crush ad led Apple to issue an apology. In a statement to Ad Age, Apple marketing vice president Tor Myhren said that the video ultimately "missed the mark."Apple left the Crush video on its YouTube channel, but the ad won't be running on television.

Article Link: Apple Apologizes for 'Crush' iPad Pro Ad, Won't Put It on TV
This is an absolute OnPoint ad very creative of course I grew up before the Internet and didn't fill my mind full of a bunch of garbage but this is a great ad

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I was not, personally, fond of the "crushing" ad. It hit a bit "off," for me.

What will be interesting to see is people's reaction to this second "crushing" ad, for a wholly different device in Apple's product lineup. I was shocked to see such a thing come just hours after Apple acknowledged they missed the mark with the first!

bp

Last edited:

jakey rolling

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2022
This is an ad created specifically for the kind of tech bro who thinks that every "legacy" creative tool is now worthless and can be replaced by a computer (see: DAW sound "engineers" who have never heard an analog amplifier in their entire life).

It is brilliant to its target market of digital "creatives". It is simultaneously brutal to people who actually create.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
This ad is very similar to one of the earliest ads promoting Pokemon back in the 90s, and you could argue that one was much darker since it was cute little critters that got crushed in a bus by an actual psychotic looking driver.

People these days need to get offline and touch some grass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.