Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novicew

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Hamburg
Just noticed while reading the eligibility rules of Apple Store, Fifth Avenue 24-Hour Giveaway, where it says, "Eligibility: Open only to U.S. residents 18 years of age or older at the time of entry."

Isn't that kind of unfair for Mac enthusiasts who visit the location from other parts of the world?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Not really – it's a standard terms and conditions thing you usually see in competitions and stuff.

I know here there are loads of competitions where being a resident of the UK is one of the conditions of entry. Just a quick look now at the rules of the promotion running on the back of my juice bottle reveals... "Promotion open to UK residents only (including IoM and CI) aged 16+".

Looks like that's another you can't enter – sorry! ;)

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Jaffa Cake said:
...I know here there are loads of competitions where being a resident of the UK is one of the conditions of entry. Just a quick look now at the rules of the promotion running on the back of my juice bottle reveals... "Promotion open to UK residents only (including IoM and CI) aged 16+".

Looks like that's another you can't enter – sorry! ;)
Well it's a bit different when the draw is for turning up at the store. The conditions on your juice bottle a likely there because that product could be sold in other countries than those eligible for entry.

I guess they don't want some French dude winning an iPod and having to ship it to Paris if they pull out of that market and end up not being in a position to support their new customer. of summit.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
mpw said:
Well it's a bit different when the draw is for turning up at the store. The conditions on your juice bottle a likely there because that product could be sold in other countries than those eligible for entry.
Fair point. I know I've won a prize from a US run competition before and there was a lot of red-tape and form filling with me being a non-resident. It all had to do with tax – I had to get in touch with the American Embassy to apply for a US Tax number and everything. Maybe it's just more trouble than it's worth for companies to offer prizes of a certain value to non-residents?

Oh, and mpw – as a Channel Islander you are of course welcome to enter the juice bottle competition. You might win a Narnia lunchbox if your luck's in. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.