Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In his Power On newsletter today, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman outlined some of the new products he expects Apple to announce at its "Let Loose" event on May 7.

First, Gurman now believes there is a "strong possibility" that the upcoming iPad Pro models will be equipped with Apple's next-generation M4 chip, rather than the M3 chip that debuted in the MacBook Pro and iMac six months ago. He said a key new feature of the M4 chip will be an upgraded Neural Engine that boosts performance for AI tasks, and he believes Apple will market the next iPad Pro as an AI-powered device.

Second, he said that the new Apple Pencil that is expected to be announced at the event will feature haptic feedback for the first time. While he did not provide any details about how this will work, perhaps the Apple Pencil will have a small Taptic Engine that vibrates when switching between drawing tools, and using the rumored "squeeze" gesture that MacRumors previously discovered within the iPadOS 17.5 beta's code.

Third, he reiterated that Apple will introduce a first-ever 12.9-inch version of the iPad Air, and a redesigned Magic Keyboard for iPads.

Apple's event begins on May 7 at 7 a.m. Pacific Time (10 a.m. Eastern Time), with a video stream to be available on Apple.com and on YouTube.

Article Link: Apple Event Rumors: iPad Pro With M4 Chip and New Apple Pencil With Haptic Feedback

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: rMBP2013 and SFjohn

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
We’re officially two weeks away. The hype is going to continue to grow daily.

Personally, I’ve tried the “all iPad workflow” for 2-years and it did have its drawbacks. Lack of dual monitor support, lack of clamshell, pro apps lacking, lack of proper cooling.

if Apple can give us these with the M4 iPads I’ll be very happy.

While there is very little to no chance I’ll replace my M3 Max MacBook Pro with the M4 iPad Pro, I’m incredibly excited to see what Apple has in store.

I’d love to see the iPad Mini get the M2 chip at least.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I'm sort of curious what Apple's motives are for their chip skipping between devices. I know the obvious answer is just because M1 -> M2 for the iMac was not a particularly large upgrade while M1 -> M3 was. I wonder what they're thinking over in Cupertino.
I strongly believe it's a cost thing. M3 is on TSMC's N3B node, which is unoptimized and more expensive to produce chips on. Apple will move to N3E (the optimized node) as soon as they can, due to the cost benefits. Moving nodes means a new iteration of the chip (they wouldn't move to a new node and still call it M3), hence why M4 seems so near.

That said, I was expecting it more in the fall than in the spring, but who knows.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
We’re officially two weeks away. The hype is going to continue to grow daily.

Personally, I’ve tried the “all iPad workflow” for 2-years and it did have its drawbacks. Lack if dual monitor support, lack of clamshell, pro apps lacking, lack of proper cooling.

While there is a VERY little chance I’ll replace my M3 Max MacBook Pro with the M4 iPad Pro, I’m incredibly excited to see what Apple has in store.

I’d love to see the iPad Mini get the M2 chip at least.
For me, lately, the struggle with my iPad Pro is finding a good, reliable, non-subscription based media player. I use VLC, nPlayer, and more recently I purchased OPlayer, and none of them have a reliable UI when using it on an external monitor while reading files from an external hard drive. The UI glitches, or doesn’t work well between the iPad and the external monitor.

Any suggestion is welcome.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
For me, lately, the struggle with my iPad Pro is finding a good, reliable, non-subscription based media player. I use VLC, nPlayer, and more recently I purchased OPlayer, and none of them have a reliable UI when using it on an external monitor while reading files from an external hard drive. The UI glitches, or doesn’t work well between the iPad and the external monitor.

Any suggestion is welcome.
Let me look into this See what I can find.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
I wonder how many iPad users feel the CPU is problematic in any way. It seems to me that software is in most cases. For pretty much anything I want to do on the mac, there are plenty of well supported, often open source options. On the iPad, I see subscription based apps that interact poorly between each other or with the cloud that they crucially depend on. While this does not change, I do not understand the hype here. Why should I care the next gen gets M3 or M4 ?

MarkDeMoss

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2012
Seems unlikely considering Apple does yearly small incremental improvements and there’s nothing major in the works for a redesign other than the OLED display. Which is somewhat major for the 11” variant. I wouldn’t even be surprised if they release the M3 variant on the rumored 14” wide model said to be released Q4 of 2024.

If they’re releasing a 12.9 IPad Pro with M4, there must be some immediate profit motive with AI neural engine. OLED and M4 wouldn’t be enough to upgrade for me unless there was some real function that only the M4 could do such as run Mac OS. To me the upcoming new Magic Keyboard is more interesting than M4 on an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.