Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I’m very curious about how others feel when it comes to Apple presenting new products in the iPhone lineup. I feel like the lineup is always progressing when it comes to hardware specs and software- do you think that Apple is holding us back when it comes to releasing new iPhone features, hardware, design etc? Ps where’s a foldable iPhone, what are your thoughts talking about the next new iPhone lineup

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
They’ll innovate when sales begin to fall as they have to maximise shareholder returns. I don’t expect anything new from Apple for at least 2-3 years, at least in relation to their iPhones.

Reactions: krspkbl

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If the SOC researchers came up with a prototype SOC that was 100X faster than the current one, does anyone think that any sane company would develop it and release it in a few years?
Of course not. No company would.
They’d use that design as a road map and release new chips every year with a 10% to 15% speed improvement for the next 10 years.
That’s what Intel has been doing and  will too.
It would be suicidal not to.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple isn't holding back. It's not like they enjoy watching their iPhone shipments decline by 10%. But they've definitely been coasting along.

They'll didn't expect Huawei to come back so soon and introduce satellite voice calling. Apple's lack of 5G modem expertise is holding them back. In terms of camera, Apple has been playing it safe. The retractable camera unit on Huawei Pura 70 shows what's possible with maximum engineering effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Expectation for new iPhone: Apple removes fugly camera boil on back of iPhone and makes camera flush with the housing.

Reality: Apple considers this a design feature + not technologically possible at this time.

For those about to tell me to just 'slap a case on it', you should know - I don't use cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
The iPhone is a mature product now, a design classic alongside the Porsche 911, the Coca-cola bottle and the Converse sneaker. Physically there aren't any changes Apple really needs to make beyond perhaps shrinking the truedepth array. Gimmicks from other manufacturers like folding phones are undoubtedly well engineered but a folding spoon is still a spoon. If you had a 2002 VX220 you wouldn't want it to ever change because, well look at it.

You're iPhone isn't tired; its a classic.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
based on the rumours it wont be anything amazing. another small refresh. the sales can't be hurting them too much just yet.

unless apple can invent glass that can fold then i don't want a folding iphone. i like the idea of a folding phone but i am not buying a device with a plastic screen that will get damaged by my finger nails and dust. especially at the price apple charge for iphones lol. i'd not mind buying a cheap phone if it could fold because i wouldn't care as much about damage to the screen. the screen is how we interact with our phones so it's crucial.

there's really only so far you can go with a phone. they'll just keep boosting performance/camera quality. the performance won't improve significantly though as it'll just need to keep up with any new features in the software. i think the next iphone or the one after might have a significant boost in RAM/storage capacity to handle AI but that's it. you could argue that RAM will keep getting higher if AI is still a focus in the next 2+ years. of course it depends on how demanding the AI is but AI will eat up all the RAM you can throw at it. I have a total of 80GB RAM in my PC and it isn't enough for AI tasks. My pc doesn't have unified RAM but i could see it use 50GB easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.