Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Have you ever tried? Because it’s easier than switching a lightbulb. Just put in your zip-code and buy your electricity from up north. Only if you don’t make your own electricity contract, the default will be the base tariff of your local network provider.

Stadtwerke Schwerin

Yes, but have you ever wondered why switching is so fast? It is just a change in a billing system. You cannot change where the electricity really comes from in one common electrical grid. Look, I have a technical degree and do know how the grid is organised. Stadtwerke only maintains facilities: the local grid and some local power generating devices (solar etc). But the main power is still provided by the same old power plants owned by the big four. To masquerade that monopoly there is this (fake) trading system where kWh's are virtually traded to make us think that we get cheaper deals while it is not. Unless electricity comes in buckets, it can't be traded like oranges.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
Because freedom of choice is absolutely necessary for a functioning market economy! The mere possibility that a popular app like Fortnite could leave the AppStore and market itself over the internet will keep Apple second guessing their store rules and pricing policy.

How many people here demand the return of modular RAM sticks? It’s not because they were better than Apple Silicon’s unified memory, it’s because they want an alternative to Apple’s insane upgrade prices. Every monopoly comes with a bunch of downsides for the customers.
Again, it’s not a monopoly when competing tech companies exist. That’s like saying that a store owner has a monopoly over their store.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shirasaki and Gudi

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Look, I have a technical degree and do know how the grid is organised. Stadtwerke only maintains facilities: the local grid and some local power generating devices (solar etc). But the main power is still provided by the same old power plants owned by the big four.
Germany has about ~1,500 beer brewers, but ~5,000 electricity producers. It is beyond ridiculous to speak of an oligopoly, only because four of them are a little bigger and own a part of the network, which they’ve got to make available for everyone to use.

And yes, it does make a difference from whom you buy and who feeds into the grid. Maybe you’re not as technically versed as you thought.

And lastly this idiotic idea of "Energiewende". Despite switching off all nuclear plants and phasing out coal, these eco-fundamentalists claim the change is not happening fast and radical enough. I’d rather argue with an islamist about eating pork döner on ramadan. 🥙

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Germany has about ~1,500 beer brewers, but ~5,000 electricity producers. It is beyond ridiculous to speak of an oligopoly, only because four of them are a little bigger and own a part of the network, which they’ve got to make available for everyone to use.

And yes, it does make a difference from whom you buy and who feeds into the grid. Maybe you’re not as technically versed as you thought.

I can see why you think it isn't an oligopoly. It's interesting.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Because freedom of choice is absolutely necessary for a functioning market economy! The mere possibility that a popular app like Fortnite could leave the AppStore and market itself over the internet will keep Apple second guessing their store rules and pricing policy.
Freedom of choice is necessary and competition is good. Android exists for those who want another choice. The govnerment has to stay out scenarios where there is freedom of choice unless there is a matter of health, risk of financial loss, etc.
How many people here demand the return of modular RAM sticks? It’s not because they were better than Apple Silicon’s unified memory, it’s because they want an alternative to Apple’s insane upgrade prices. Every monopoly comes with a bunch of downsides for the customers.
It’s true, apple has a legal monopoly on the iPhone and its intellectual property therein.. Honda has a monopoly on the accord and Tesla has a monopoly in the model 3. There are no downsides to these monopolies.

Reactions: Apple Fan 2008

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Freedom of choice is necessary and competition is good. Android exists for those who want another choice. The govnerment has to stay out scenarios where there is freedom of choice unless there is a matter of health, risk of financial loss, etc.

It’s true, apple has a legal monopoly on the iPhone and its intellectual property therein.. Honda has a monopoly on the accord and Tesla has a monopoly in the model 3. There are no downsides to these monopolies.

Truly baffling.

Reactions: Gudi and Samplasion

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
As is the above remark. Truly baffling one could possibly want government to intervene and be intrusive on every aspect of one’s life. But to each their own.

Nobody wants them to intervene in every aspect of people's lives. Nobody is saying the app store should've been regulated in 2008 but it's 2023 and things have changed.

Reactions: Samplasion

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nobody wants them to intervene in every aspect of people's lives. Nobody is saying the app store should've been regulated in 2008 but it's 2023 and things have changed.
I disagree. I disagree the nfc chip should be regulated. I disagree iMessage should be regulated.

But 50,000 feet it does seems like EU residents want American tech regulated while US residents do not. Different regions different values.

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
I disagree. I disagree the nfc chip should be regulated. I disagree iMessage should be regulated.

But 50,000 feet it does seems like EU residents want American tech regulated while US residents do not. Different regions different values.

Sounds like the US are having a good look at Apple aswell

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Sounds like the US are having a good look at Apple aswell

Yes, notice this will result in a trial if it gets that far. The DOJ has to prove their case, lose their case or there will be a settlement of some type. Not just some blind regulation that was meant to entrap apple with additional regulation.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just because you wouldn't use something, doesn't mean it shouldn't be opened for those people who *would* use it for something else. In that regard, I'll just quote this:
Just because you want something regulated doesn’t mean it should. Freedom of choice is necessary and thankfully there are hundreds of thousands of smartphone manufacturers out there.

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Yes, notice this will result in a trial if it gets that far. The DOJ has to prove their case, lose their case or there will be a settlement of some type. Not just some blind regulation that was meant to entrap apple with additional regulation.

Ok but it doesn't jive with your assertion that it is only Europe that considers some of Apples practices to be anticompetitive.

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
Just because you want something regulated doesn’t mean it should. Freedom of choice is necessary and thankfully there are hundreds of thousands of smartphone manufacturers out there.
How can you type out two contrasting statements in the same line and post them with a straight face? This regulation is not the result of the EU throwing a fit as you imply

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ok but it doesn't jive with your assertion that it is only Europe that considers some of Apples practices to be anticompetitive.
No my point is the laws were enacted by EU.

As far as the US I will bet you cannot come up with one Fortune 500 company that hasn’t been investigated by some government agency for something. Being investigated does not equate to guilty.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
How can you type out two contrasting statements in the same line and post them with a straight face? This regulation is not the result of the EU throwing a fit as you imply
Freedom of choice means you can buy the product you want, that does what you want, that has the form and function you want.

It does not mean at least for a lifestyle product, the company has to build a product for your specific requirements. It’s nice and great if they did, but they don’t have to. And my point is if they didn’t build a product you want the government shouldn’t regulate them to.

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
Freedom of choice means you can buy the product you want, that does what you want, that has the form and function you want. It does not mean at least for a lifestyle product, the company does not have to build a product for your specific requirements. It’s nice and great if they did, but they don’t have to.
And, pray tell, if one of the two only companies decide that the function I need is immoral and won't allow it, how many choices am I left with?

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
You build the product you need. Again lifestyle companies shouldn’t be regulated to build your specific product.
You mean like Microsoft tried to do years ago with Windows Phone? If such a colossal company can fail at entering the smartphone OS market, there is something fundamentally wrong. So regulations are introduced.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Honda has a monopoly on the Accord and Tesla has a monopoly on the Model 3. There are no downsides to these monopolies.
There are downsides to all monopolies, even natural monopolies. Every city has only one fresh water and waste water network. You can't buy your tap water from someone else, as it simply would be too expensive to lay a whole other network of pipes, just to have some competition. That's why water networks must be highly regulated and best be managed by a state-owned company. Examples for horror stories about natural monopolies in the hands of for-profit companies are easy to find, if you dare to google.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There are downsides to all monopolies, even natural monopolies.
Without natural monopolies capitalism and choice wouldn’t exist. It would be called a different construct.
Every city has only one fresh water and waste water network. You can't buy your tap water from someone else, as it simply would be too expensive to lay a whole other network of pipes, just to have some competition. That's why water networks must be highly regulated and best be managed by a state-owned company. Examples for horror stories about natural monopolies in the hands of for-profit companies are easy to find, if you dare to google.
I am clearly, clearly discussing lifestyle consumer products: dishwashers, TVs, laptops, phones, etc.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
As is the above remark. Truly baffling one could possibly want government to intervene and be intrusive on every aspect of one’s life. But to each their own.
Not every aspect, but aspects which can't or shouldn't be regulated by markets. And there are plenty of those. For example some diseases affect just a tiny group of people, so pharmaceuticals companies would rather finance research of the next anti-aging creme than find a medicine to treat these conditions. And without government regulation, pharmaceutical companies wouldn't exist at all. Snake oil salesmen would flood the market with so many wonder drugs with false health claims that the business of making actual medicine wouldn't work to begin with. Markets need government supervision like a football game needs a referee.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You mean like Microsoft tried to do years ago with Windows Phone?
I wish it succeeded but consumers voted with their $$$.
If such a colossal company can fail at entering the smartphone OS market, there is something fundamentally wrong.
Yes, a subpar product was built against better products.
So regulations are introduced.
Sure, the Edsel, pacer, and other autos failed so let’s introduce regulations to level the playing field.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.