Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Delivered

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2022
AI in computational photograpghy and LLM's are not the same. Google has the best computational photography algoritms and they have some of the best AI researchers in the world and even they can barely keep up with OpenAI.
They are each components. We haven’t really seen a full LLM in an apple product but we’ve seen the release research on it and we’ve seen them incorporate Transformer models in auto correct.

Reactions: Tagbert

Delivered

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2022
Had high hopes for Siri when Apple poached John Giannandrea from the Big G. Yet nothing really in the last six years. Maybe poaching more Big G. folks will work better this time.
I think like Google these teams amassed an arsenal of AI tech. Apple has been slowly incorporating the tech in limited functional applications. Not just a random chatbot which could embarrass Apple. Apple is a huge company. They can beat most other companies they engage directly. Except Google. Google just beats itself.

Reactions: gusmula and Tagbert

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Why not? Apple got plenty of money. All they need to do is to steal all the big talent and give it time.

Personally, I'm not sure if Google employees are the best as they got beaten by a much smaller company called OpenAI. But that is an other topic.
They should have done better years ago. They bought the company that developed Siri. That should have been a start, not an end. They had many people working on a self-driving vehicle. That would have been quite an accomplishment, but practically any programming student would have experience programming a robot to go right, left, backward, forward.

They have loads of experience but they're still not close. Siri still isn't much better than PlainTalk from the 1990s.

Reactions: arkitect

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
Why not? Apple got plenty of money. All they need to do is to steal all the big talent and give it time.
Exactly. It's super naive to think that this isn't still a pretty open game to anyone with deep pockets.
Personally, I'm not sure if Google employees are the best as they got beaten by a much smaller company called OpenAI. But that is an other topic.
Hmm... not so sure about that. Google has always been more significant in AI research than OpenAI. OpenAI was just better at product (which Google has always been crap at).

Reactions: Tagbert

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
Totally. And in other news, they were way behind when the Sony Walkman came out. Apples version ended up turning into an iPhone earning almost 1/4 trillion dollars per year. So I doubt they are as worried as some might be.
mmhh … wondering how much Siri, the beta of Apple Intelligence, contributed to the trillion earnings :)

Reactions: NMBob

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
Expecting Apple to be very prominent in the AI field in the coming years.
Yeah, I kinda agree, largely because Apple tends to be good at product and functional refinement once a core tech has been established. Case in point; everything with an Apple logo. 😂

(btw, I don't think I'm crapping on Apple in saying that—doing product and refinement well is crucial in the bigger picture of innovation.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.