Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I mean, it's almost the same app since MacOS Jaguar, there is not once I won't find it shut down on its own during sleep, I understand after over two decades the poor thing being tired but it's the most ancient and almost useless piece of software, when are we gonna get a new one rather than the same iPhone each and every passing year?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I like its simplicity - as stated above, its email. Does exactly what I need - check and respond/send messages. No faffing about with hundreds of options and settings.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I mean, it's almost the same app since MacOS Jaguar, there is not once I won't find it shut down on its own during sleep, I understand after over two decades the poor thing being tired but it's the most ancient and almost useless piece of software, when are we gonna get a new one rather than the same iPhone each and every passing year?
That's a YOU problem, not a Mail app problem. By "you" I mean your particular computer – which obviously has issues specific to you.

I'll grant you that Mail is long in the tooth when it comes to modern features, but it's a pretty darn stable app, and frequent crashes and unwanted shutdowns just don't happen on their own. There's something going on with your Mac, I don't know what it is, but it likely has little to do with Mail app itself.

Reactions: ignatius345

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Apple Mail has always worked really well for me, and I've found it to be be one of the most reliable pieces of software on any OS. 👌

If you're having trouble with it, I'd assume some kind of odd bug specific to your computer, or maybe your e-mail account(s) just don't work well with Apple Mail?

Reactions: Bigwaff

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I have no clue what but each and every morning I wake the computer up I find Mail been shut down on its own and not even the warning which usually accompanies a crash, I also like its simplicity but it's a stagnant software since ages, never seen any improvement but glad it's just my problem

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
You could try temporarily disabling your email accounts, and see if one or more is tied to Mail's crash-while-sleeping.

If it's only one account, you can try deleting that account (write down all its info first), then re-adding it. I also suggest a full backup before deleting important things.

Which Mac model, OS version?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.