Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Apple Music documents and data is taking up 5.29 GB of storage on my iPhone, despite me having zero downloads on my device.

I have tried removing and re-installing Music to no avail. What is being stored? It seems pretty high to say I have no downloaded songs.

IMG_0541.png

Reactions: mjs916

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
After much playing about, toggling sync library off and back on has reduced the storage to under 1 GB.
Hi Helmsley,

I tried this and mine went from 5.92 GB to 3.55 GB.

There used to be a way to remove previously downloaded songs which I suspect must be cached in there somewhere but I can’t find them.

Tried downloading a song and seeing if it shows up under Downloaded which was not shown because presumably there are no downloads. Was prompted to turn on Sync Library.

After doing so I’m told it’s “Downloading” but there is no progress. Just a circular progress w/ no progress. Eventually this song just disappears from the Downloading list.

Prior to the “Downloading” disappearance I can see the Downloaded menu but after it stops that disappears as well.

After giving it some time to sync the library it appears that the used storage went up. 6.52 now.

If I were on a beta I’d report this as a bug but I’m on 17.4.1.

In spring cleaning so trying to dump as much useless data as I can and I’m fine streaming music instead of having it on device, though when I went to New Orleans in March I was furious that it would not download to my phone. Turns out it WAS downloading apparently? Ended up having to play the music on my Watch through Bluetooth while on the flight which was just my running playlist 😂. Fun on repeat while sitting still.

If you read all of this, thank you. I’m curious if you have had any further developments since this post. Anyone else, please chime in.
IMG_9089.jpeg
IMG_9092.jpeg
IMG_9094.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9098.jpeg
    IMG_9098.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: Helmsley

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I haven't had any further developments. Periodically, I toggle sync library off and on and it clears the storage from GBs to a few MBs.

None of my music is downloaded, so I assume for me at least, it's some sort of cache that builds up over time.

Reactions: mjs916
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.