Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
I did a 170 mile roadtrip today and was enjoying spinning the tunes in my iTunes library on my iPhone.
Hardware: iPhone 6+ 128 gig that I usually connect to a iMac 5k i7 4 ghz model.

I normally have 4400+ songs on my phone and also 128 or so videos.

Towards the end of my trip I stopped by a grocery store and paid for my purchase with Apple Pay.

After this, I got back into the car and I noticed that my songs disappeared (I usually conclude whatever tune from where I left off) but not only the tune I had been listening tobut anything that wasn't a paid from iTunes store music was just gone.

I went from 4400 songs to 4 (I guess they figured I'll just stream everything from now on), 128 videos to 15, and the only thing I can think of that would have done this was paying for that purchase at the store via Apple Pay.

The one thing that didn't change is it seems like the available memory I have left on my phone stayed the same (53.5). Odd.

Weirdly, I had no problem at all despite various stops along the way where Apple Pay wasn't in play.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

All I can say is right now it's more of an irritation than anything else - I can put things back to the way they are once I get back to my Mac but what a pain!

There's no incentive at all for me to use Apple Pay at this point. What if I'd been on a longer trip? I'm going to iceland in the fall - if all my tunes go byebye 4000 miles from home I'll be more than a little annoyed.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Update: I was able to use my last backup to restore everything but it happened so fast I don't believe it actually restored anything - I believe something in the pointers to the existing music got wiped out when I made that last purchase. It took just a few minutes to restore everything. I believe it just recreated the pointers and everything is back where is supposed to be.

Most curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.