Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Just got a Gen2. At first, I could hand write a Note and it would convert to text, but I switched it to try out draw mode and now I can write, but it won’t convert to text anymore. It still converts to text in the Calendar and Safari search bar, but not in Notes.
I can’t find any pref to change it back to convert it to text in Notes. I’m probably missing something obvious, but that happens with age.
Sure would appreciate any help!

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Did you select the pencil with the "A" in the pencil toolbar? That's the pencil that converts to text. The rest are for drawing.

Reactions: hologram

hologram

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Thanks for your reply, but I can’t even get to the pencil toolbar. I hate to sound like a computer illiterate, but when I click the pencil icon in Notes it toggles back and forth but nothing shows up on screen.

And when I go to Apple Pencil prefs, I can’t even do the scribble test with it, all it does is scroll the page. I can see the pencil tools toolbar in Notes (by accident, I don’t know how to bring it up intentionally), where I can choose brush thickness and color, but there’s no “A” there.

Where is this pencil toolbar, and how do I reach it?

Last edited:

ananniamul

Suspended
Jun 2, 2023
Bangladesh
Just got a Gen2. At first, I could hand write a Note and it would convert to text, but I switched it to try out draw mode and now I can write, but it won’t convert to text anymore. It still converts to text in the Calendar and Safari search bar, but not in Notes.
I can’t find any pref to change it back to convert it to text in Notes. I’m probably missing something obvious, but that happens with age.
Sure would appreciate any help!
If you are using a case with your iPad, make sure that it is not interfering with the Apple Pencil. You can also try using the Apple Pencil without the case to see if that makes a difference.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Did you select the pencil with the "A" in the pencil toolbar? That's the pencil that converts to text. The rest are for drawing.
Can you use the A pencil with your finger, or does ut have to be with the pencil?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.