Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Majority of my Apple devices are still Scanning my iCloud photos library. I know that photo scans are done on each device. But if I tag a person on Mac or iOS in the peoples albums, does it sync that facial match across devices? Can’t find any concrete evidence of this. Would test but like I said, they are still doing their own recognition.

Reactions: ososX

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Majority of my Apple devices are still Scanning my iCloud photos library. I know that photo scans are done on each device. But if I tag a person on Mac or iOS in the peoples albums, does it sync that facial match across devices? Can’t find any concrete evidence of this. Would test but like I said, they are still doing their own recognition.
Yes, it does. My tagged faces are synced across.

michalm

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
I just wanted to ask this… For me, it does not seem to be the case. Each device doing its own thing - I have two iOS devices and two macOS and looking at People, the front page syncs, but individual numbers of recognised faces vary greatly.

Anyone else experiencing this? :(

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
It syncs face confirmations, not actual Face data. Every time you confirm a Face, it syncs as „this was confirmed to be Xyz“. That synced data is then fed into your devices face detection algorithm to recreate an identical people album.

I noticed that iOS 15 / macOS 12 seems to greatly mess with face data across different devices. Whenever my 2018 Intel MBP does face detection, it runs rampage in my people album and messes up certain people (e.g. it routinely splits me into 2 different people, one being unnamed).

michalm

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
It syncs face confirmations, not actual Face data. Every time you confirm a Face, it syncs as „this was confirmed to be Xyz“. That synced data is then fed into your devices face detection algorithm to recreate an identical people album.

I noticed that iOS 15 / macOS 12 seems to greatly mess with face data across different devices. Whenever my 2018 Intel MBP does face detection, it runs rampage in my people album and messes up certain people (e.g. it routinely splits me into 2 different people, one being unnamed).
Thanks for this! The behaviour reflects what you have described.

May I just ask, how did you find out it works like that? The documentation I was able to get to is ... thin.. :D I was hoping it would be doing some kind of EXIF sync with Contact data. Oh well... No reason to even attempt to clean up the mess :(

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada

I agree, this is happening with me. I'm curios if the problem will go away once I get a Mac with Apple silicone. I'm currently running a Mac Pro 6,1 (trash can) and an iPhone XS and they seem to fight each other. For example, there is a photo of one of my daughters that I set as a key photo for her on the Mac or on the iPhone and then a few hours later I come back and it's no longer the key photo, in fact, my Mac doesn't even have a name for the face in the photo any longer. I also find that when I go to my Mac and confirm additional faces I'll sometimes see a photo pop up that I know I have already confirmed in the past.

One theory I have is that ALL of the photos are on my Mac whereas I optimize storage on my iPhone which makes me think that the dataset available to both devices isn't the same (even if the scanning algorithm is the same).

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I agree, this is happening with me. I'm curios if the problem will go away once I get a Mac with Apple silicone. I'm currently running a Mac Pro 6,1 (trash can) and an iPhone XS and they seem to fight each other. For example, there is a photo of one of my daughters that I set as a key photo for her on the Mac or on the iPhone and then a few hours later I come back and it's no longer the key photo, in fact, my Mac doesn't even have a name for the face in the photo any longer. I also find that when I go to my Mac and confirm additional faces I'll sometimes see a photo pop up that I know I have already confirmed in the past.

One theory I have is that ALL of the photos are on my Mac whereas I optimize storage on my iPhone which makes me think that the dataset available to both devices isn't the same (even if the scanning algorithm is the same).
I upgraded to a M1 Max 16“ a few months ago and haven‘t had any issues since. I also use optimize storage on all of my devices except my iPhone (cause of mobile data concerns).

ososX

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2015
I upgraded to a M1 Max 16“ a few months ago and haven‘t had any issues since. I also use optimize storage on all of my devices except my iPhone (cause of mobile data concerns).
I have an M2 MBP 16’’ and there is no methodological synchronization. While the people list is updated across all devices, the recognition takes place individually on each device. It’s a real mess, even if I identify a person (which is already in the people list) on the iPad the information won’t be synchronized across the devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.