Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Surprised that they were allowed as people can't access those services in mainland China.
I thought you could with a VPN, no? [EDIT] Yes you can, according to teh intarnets. [/EDIT]

Anyhow, I wonder if this affects those with access to the App Store outside of China.

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
People celebrating EUs control must be super exited about this too? :)
No, we only celebrate what Apple tells is good for us.

big-brother.jpg

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Isn't Apple moving its manufacturing centers from China to India?
Not all, only a handful of manufacturing lines. And they did so to avoid being taxed an extra “foreign” fee.

Also, early after opening the manufacturing line they experienced a violent protest, and reports of lower quality have surfaced too. India is not on the same level as China when it comes to production, or work ethic.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Pretty much impossible since Apple assembles millions of iphones per year over there. This isn't like Google who builds and sells very little hardware. Apple can't just pack up and move all manufacturing to India and Vietnam
They can at least start, and it doesn't have to be just those two countries. Rome wasn't built in a day, but the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. ;-)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Apple produces products in a number of other countries, including India. It is unwise for them to have so many eggs in the China basket. If I were Tim Cook, I would divest ALL manufacturing out of China.
Cook has been expanding to other countries for years, but it's been a struggle for them. China BY FAR has the best infrastructure plus labour force for this. The only real advantage other countries might have is cheaper labour.

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
China isn’t the problem. The CCP is. Apple, and all major brands, should just pull out of China and HK completely. More hassle than they’re worth. Apple should pull TikTok, etc and any Tencent owned apps as a ‘mutual’ understanding that if the CCP won’t allow the foreign apps, then, chinese apps don’t need to be allowed, either. No more bending over for them.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Look at the crap Apple has been giving the EU for the past months/year over it's DMA (Digital Markets Act) requirements, they have moaned, complained, gone to court, still moaned and complained, rumoured to leave the EU if Apple was forced to comply with certain rulings and yet when China tells Apple to comply with it's rulings/law, Apple complies with nothing more than 'we comply with the law even if we disagree'. That is not exactly how Apple behaved with the EU was it. Just goes to show how important China is to Apple because when China say's 'jump' Apple replies with 'how High'. When the EU tells Apple to 'jump', Apple replies with 'F off, we'll see you in court'.
Completely different situations and political environments. First, what the EU is doing is supposedly increasing access to apps. In essence, it's increasing freedom but at the cost of Apple's control over the device. I'm not saying I agree with the EU, it's just a different situation. China's actions, in contrast, essentially limits freedom by banning apps.

The politics are also different. The EU is a group of more or less liberal democracies (or similar enough). China is not. Apple protests the EU's actions for multiple reasons including the fact that Apple has the freedom to protest what the EU does. Apple in contrast has basically no freedom to protest what China does. This means Apple fights the battles it has a chance of winning. Going against the Chinese government isn't like David versus Goliath; it's like a rock versus an ocean. At least with the EU there's a fighting chance.

Protesting China's actions, however, is happening. Apple is diversifying its supply chain from China. This makes China lose out on Apple's business. Apple still wants users there, of course; it's not like Apple could just completely pull out of China without causing serious, potentially irreparable, harm to its business. If Apple could survive as a company, make good products and services, and offer shareholders good returns over time without doing any business with China, it's a strong possibility they would pull out. That could not happen in days though. It likely would take decades, just as it's taken decades to increase Apple's presence in China.

Solutions are easy behind a keyboard; real life is much more complex.

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
I thought you could with a VPN, no? [EDIT] Yes you can, according to teh intarnets. [/EDIT]

Anyhow, I wonder if this affects those with access to the App Store outside of China.
I was in China for 6 months. Yes, you can use a VPN, however it makes browsing the web extremely slow, and some functionality is hindered. Blocked websites or apps, like Google Maps are very outdated as well, it would show you in an open field when in reality it is a large shopping mall that opened 10 years earlier.

There is also the potential, and this is not my experience, just what others told me, that police could give you a hard time if they found out you are using banned services or apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.