Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Are the shortcuts just different, or the key combinations shown in the menu don't work? I guess the issue is only with the shortcuts and not when writing text?

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
It seems limited to commands, you see in FCP/Motion/Compressor, short cuts are controlled by the Command Editor, so if the Command Editor is using the German Language, it thinks the "y" key is where the Z key is on the US keyboard...

So from testing it seems that Command + [plus key] changes the keyboard from the default German to English, however the change is non persisting.. This is what I have reported..

I have tried beta versions, I have tried installing, and it is rampant, across many devices, FCP 10.6.8-10.7.1.. Apple are really not interested in fixing this bug.. I even tried the developer beta of Sonoma, it seems it is not related to OS, but to FCP/Motion/Compressor, in a number of countries...

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
I don't have a German keyboard, so I can't reproduce the issue, but at least you can customize the shortcuts and workaround it.
Recent macOS versions remap the shortcuts automatically on the current keyboard layout, probably that interferes with the built-in Final Cut command editor.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Ah, you cannot work around, I too have no German keyboard, I have a M1 Macbook Air, from the US.. US English, QWERTY.. If you open FCP then open command editor-default, is the keys qwerty or qwertz?
Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 11.44.12 AM.png

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
It's qwerty even if I run Final Cut in German, it shows the correct layout of my keyboard.
You aren't doing something weird like using the German keyboard layout on an US keyboard, right?

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
If I do a factory reset, everything brand new, German, nope not setting anything other than to default, and the bizarre thing, my FCP is on my US icloud App Store, so where the German comes from, the only thing that seems to make any sense is the Command + [plus] on ky version the default is German, as in the screenshot.. Press Command +, it changes to the English US with the [ ] instead of the A... and the Z is back where it should be.. very bizarre...

Apple simply don't care, nothing I do, posted to loads of forums, github, support, nothing, no feedback from Apple, NONE..

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Yes, when you say keyboard layout, you mean??
Ok as it is stands right now, I have a US MacBook Air M1, with the standard QWERTY keyboard on the laptop...
When I installed FCP, trial or Full Version, with or without icloud, the app installs in command sets-German Language.. There is no setting anywhere in Sonoma set to German, all is US default English..

trikster.online

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2024
I'm curious about this as well... I was just sent a new work laptop with the M3 base chip.
I just got 80 of them in as well. The computers they are to replace are all Intel based, that do dual monitors already. I tried to get the new Air's instead (non of the folks using these Mac's need anything more powerful than the Air...but my boss asked the PC tech for his opinion instead of the guy that works on the Mac's...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.