Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the fourth beta of an upcoming visionOS 1.2 update to developers, allowing them to test new features ahead of the software seeing a public launch. The fourth visionOS 1.2 beta comes one week after the release the third beta.

visionOS-Home-Screen.jpg

The visionOS beta can be downloaded by going to the Settings app on the device and toggling on developer betas. A registered developer account is required, and Apple recommends making a backup before installing new software.

Apple may make further improvements to Personas, EyeSight, and other features with visionOS 1.2, but no major new additions were found in the first three betas.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of visionOS 1.2 to Developers

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Note
To Devs today
  • iOS 17.5 beta 4 (21F5073b) - April 30, 2024
  • iPadOS 17.5 beta 4 (21F5073b) - April 30, 2024
  • macOS 14.5 beta 4 (23F5074a) - April 30, 2024
  • tvOS 17.5 beta 4 (21L5567a) - April 30, 2024
  • visionOS 1.2 beta 4 (21O5580a) - April 30, 2024
  • watchOS 10.5 beta 4 (21T5571a) - April 30, 2024

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Only a couple of SDK notes

FaceTime

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Recent calls from an iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch will not sync to Vision Pro and vice versa. (125375528)

Keyboards

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Trying to access the emoji keyplane from the mini keyboard redirects the user to a letter keyplane with extra platter space. (125951731)
I remember those two issues being solved on Beta 3. There was only one pending issue then.

EDIT:

Check my old post regarding Beta 3:
Post in thread 'Apple Seeds Third Beta of visionOS 1.2 to Developers'
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ionos-1-2-to-developers.2424758/post-33087420

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Nope. My hope is that VisionOS 2 is an all hands on deck effort that’s detracting from the dot releases.
That makes a lot more sense. Can’t wait for it. I wish in the meantime Apple polishes 1.x some more. The final 2.0 release is 5-6 months away, we will only get a Beta in June, and who knows how reliable it will be.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Nope. My hope is that VisionOS 2 is an all hands on deck effort that’s detracting from the dot releases.
I was trying to use my AVP last night and if they don’t really and mean really step it up with the release, this thing is going up for sale. The dismal amount of effort and lack of things like even a contacts app in Vision Pro is just comedic at this point. This is the first time the more I’ve used a product the more I’ve disliked it because the software is just standing idle and it isn’t markedly better than release. They really should have held off but Tim knows best, or at least he keeps telling himself that.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I was trying to use my AVP last night and if they don’t really and mean really step it up with the release, this thing is going up for sale. The dismal amount of effort and lack of things like even a contacts app in Vision Pro is just comedic at this point. This is the first time the more I’ve used a product the more I’ve disliked it because the software is just standing idle and it isn’t markedly better than release. They really should have held off but Tim knows best, or at least he keeps telling himself that.
There’s an app that can somewhat compensate the lack of a Contacts app. I don’t remember the name, but I only found one.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
There’s an app that can somewhat compensate the lack of a Contacts app. I don’t remember the name, but I only found one.
Thanks, it’s one of those it syncs with iCloud so I don’t want to introduce something that can potentially mess with everything. And if it’s separate, then I have too many to sync between the two. Great suggestion. Also really no excuse why it wasn’t included by Apple.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Thanks, it’s one of those it syncs with iCloud so I don’t want to introduce something that can potentially mess with everything. And if it’s separate, then I have too many to sync between the two. Great suggestion. Also really no excuse why it wasn’t included by Apple.
The app itself doesn’t sync, it simply accesses your iCloud contacts already synced on your device.

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
So… Did anyone find any improvements in this Beta?
I haven’t found any. Every time I update, I feel like there’s something different in the passthrough / general performance. However it’s probably confabulation.

Interesting couple of weeks we have coming up. Earnings Thursday, Apple Event Tuesday (possible tie-in with the pencil, and of course Android XR the following week).

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
That’s too far away, and if that’s the case what’s the point of point releases with no new features or big bug fixes
Good point. VisionOS has been the roughest release in a long time. Hopping 1.0 is really 1.0, take 2.

ArtemSh

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
How do we get a .2 bump with zero new features
I think there are some new features that are toggled off for now.

E.g., if we're going to see Apple Pencil integration, it's probably going to be included into 1.2. Apple has done such things (almost empty betas with new feature toggled on after on-event announcement) previously.

Reactions: jole

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I think there are some new features that are toggled off for now.

E.g., if we're going to see Apple Pencil integration, it's probably going to be included into 1.2. Apple has done such things (almost empty betas with new feature toggled on after on-event announcement) previously.
Well, that would be a nice surprise.

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
It primarily has improvements to existing features. I have check the new Release Notes, and if my memory is not failing me, it looks identical to the Release Notes from beta 3. 🤔

Sounds like a maintenance release should be more appropriate than minor release.

Maybe the new features are behind a feature flagg. I hope something Apple Pencil related...

Reactions: Amazing Iceman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.