Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
At Apple, we innovate every day to make technology people love—designing products that work seamlessly together, protect people’s privacy and security, and ensure that we can exploit on-device app distribution monopolies to maximize profit and stifle competition, wait Siri, don’t include that last part, hello, please don’t publish, Siri STOP—

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
They will settle for a slap-on-the-wrist fine.

I think Apple's growth is in trouble moving forward. They have nothing right now to grow (AVR looks like is has flopped) and they are facing lawsuits from all sides which will hit their revenues in a permanent way (e.g. lower revenue from App store) and profitability.

My fear is they will start selling user data to make up for it.

Last edited:

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
So far Apple is 0-1-1 with the DOJ.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
Got something to back up this claim? I mean, you or someone must have surveyed every single developer to arrive at that conclusion, otherwise you're just pulling it out of your rear.
lol at thinking I need to survey "every single developer" to backup a subjective term "many".

should have highlighted "most customers" to really nail me. even then, you don't need survey every single customer to statistically conclude if that's true or not. but too late now.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Yes, it will— because people who don’t know any better will download apps or click on a link that installs something outside of the App Store and boom! Then they will complain about less security.
Doesn't that already happen with computers. I think being naive is no longer a valid argument. Apple should adamantly warn people about side loading apps and I bet Apple will add legal wording in the UA so they are not responsible for whatever happens if one decides to side load.

chrisone

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Meanwhile, many developers are fine with 15%/30% cut and most customers are fine with a single App Store to find all of their apps.

As usual, gov trying to control someone else's success for no reason. Huge overstep.
Do you remember when the evil government went after Microsoft for their monopoly incl. forcing some options for browsers? Do you remember if that helped Apple, or if Apple supported it? Do you remember if forcing some changes there lead to a worse situation for consumers?

Brandon916

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2018
If Steve Jobs was alive today, he would’ve used every single amount of his personal money to defend Apple and his name.

DOJ is doing the wrong thing. Suing Apple will destroy the US tech industry in the long run.

If Apple loses, Apple will likely shut down in retaliation. See how that will destroy US tech industry.
Steve Job conspired w/ other publishers to fixing book prices. He's no angel and isn't a friend to consumers. That is why the govt had to step in and fine them. Not to mention Apple got together w/ many of the top tech companies to surpress employees salary. Got fine for that too.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Meanwhile, many developers are fine with 15%/30% cut and most customers are fine with a single App Store to find all of their apps.

As usual, gov trying to control someone else's success for no reason. Huge overstep.

I wouldn't say they are "fine" with it. Because iOS controls such a notable part of the mobile OS market (over 60% in the U.S.), I'd say it's more like iOS app developers "tolerate" the commission. They don't leave because it's too big of a market to just walk away from and there is no other way to access that major market segment other than the App Store.

There is no "huge oversetp."

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Firstly, I like Apple and have many friends who work there at corporate.

That said, they do act in an anti-competitive walled garden manner which severely limits owners of Apple products

IPads, iPhones and other devices ought to allow third party installed software. The restriction was done to make the Apple ecosystem the only way to buy, pay and manage content/applications. It’s been used to censor as well.

It’s clearly time to treat these devices the same as Mac computers, hell their power is much greater than what computers used to have.

Last edited:

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Got something to back up this claim? I mean, you or someone must have surveyed every single developer to arrive at that conclusion, otherwise you're just pulling it out of your rear.
Mobile developer here with apps and games on iOS and Android. For our Android side we use a service that distributes our apps out to all the different third party app stores between the Samsung store and a bunch of similar regional / brand specific stores. We make roughly 99% of our revenue from Google Play.

I am totally fine with Apple and Google's 15% / 30% cut because that's where the customers are. Sure, some of these other Android stores offer better rates, but, uhh, who cares about saving 5% on $17 worth of sales? It's irrelevant comparatively.

It's made no sense to me why Apple has been fighting this hard, as iOS with third party App Stores will be the same. There will be no noticeable migration of users to other platforms and any money lost would be a rounding error.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
There goes Lina Khan demonstrating again to the whole world she has no idea what US antitrust law is or how technology works. Apple has plenty of anti-competitive practices that need to be addressed, but this ain't it.
Lina Khan heads the Federal Trade Commission.

This case isn't solely being brought against Apple by the FTC. The DoJ as well as 16 attorneys generals are involved as well. The FTC doesn't tell the DoJ or an attorneys general what to do.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
Do you remember when the evil government went after Microsoft for their monopoly incl. forcing some options for browsers? Do you remember if that helped Apple, or if Apple supported it?
I remember Microsoft having 90%+ global marketshare. Apple currently does not.
I remember customers didn't have a single good alternative PC operating system to choose from. Customers have a choice of Android or iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.