Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced new accessibility features coming to its devices later this year, and one feature in particular that is likely to have widespread appeal among vehicle passengers is Vehicle Motion Cues, which aims to prevent motion sickness when looking at an iPhone or iPad.

vehicle-motion-cues.jpg

According to Apple, research shows that motion sickness is commonly caused by a sensory conflict between what a person sees and what they feel, which can prevent some users from comfortably using iPhone or iPad while riding in a moving vehicle.

Vehicle Motion Cues are designed to avoid this sensory conflict with the use of visual elements on the display that indicate real-time changes in motion. Apple explains:
With Vehicle Motion Cues, animated dots on the edges of the screen represent changes in vehicle motion to help reduce sensory conflict without interfering with the main content. Using sensors built into iPhone and iPad, Vehicle Motion Cues recognises when a user is in a moving vehicle and responds accordingly. The feature can be set to show automatically on iPhone, or can be turned on and off in Control Center.
In addition to Vehicle Motion Cues, Apple is also set to introduce an eye tracking feature that will let users navigate their iPad and iPhone with just their eyes. It will also debut CarPlay voice control and new Music Haptics later this year. The latter uses the Taptic Engine in the iPhone to play taps, textures, and refined vibrations to the audio of the music, allowing users who are deaf or hard of hearing to experience music. The new features are expected to arrive as part of iOS 18, which is likely to be released in September.

Article Link: Apple to Reduce Motion Sickness With Vehicle Motion Cues on iPhone

Last edited:

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2024
Do you have an iPad Pro ?
The low response time of its LCD display induces motion sickness for me , I’m upgrading my M2 to M4 just because of that
This is great. Usually I'm the one driving and not affected by this, but when I'm a passenger I have a hard time doing much of anything on the phone. 🤮

And to top it off the older I get the worse my motion sickness gets.

Reactions: SFjohn

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
That's a neat idea.

I'm really sensitive to motion sickness. I once went on a motion-simulator ride and there must have been a few milliseconds of lag between the visuals and the motion, because I was really sick afterwards, for hours. It's what's kept me away from VR and AR experiences. I just can't do it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I don’t understand why they will focus time and resources on this but not on fixing PWM in these OLED displays. The flickering is causing way more sick feeling than anything else. Please, Apple, stop using PWM

Simple

This is a bean counting operation now and "fixing PWM" isn't a feature they can advertise and hopefully drive sales with.

Apple is not in the business of creating "the best products it can" anymore

People really need to internalize this fact

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
I don’t understand why they will focus time and resources on this but not on fixing PWM in these OLED displays. The flickering is causing way more sick feeling than anything else. Please, Apple, stop using PWM

would turning off automatic brightness solve this?

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
One could always ... "look out the window" ... "listen to music" ... "talk to others in the car" ...

I don't know... "live life" and not stare at your bloody device every nano second?
So … staring out the window or listening to music is somehow considered "living", but staring at photos or watching a movie is not? Seems about the same to me.

There really isn't much "living" you can do while stuck in a car, IMO. Just pass the time until you get to the interesting part (probably the destination you're traveling to).

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
People get motion sickness looking at iPhone screens without even being in a car. Apple needs to get rid of technology like pwm and temporal dithering, not add even more crap to the mix.

"I knew I was feeling the first symptoms of motion sickness..."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.