Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
People arguing for macOS on an iPad probably aren't thinking it through properly. Like, if you want macOS then buy a laptop.
What they want is Samsung DEX I think

No way would Apple release MacOS on iPad anytime soon...

But I think they could eventually... as soon as they ensure the profit margin is retained so as not to lose out financially

Apple are a business, they dont care about categories... they just want to sell you a product and service that makes a profit. Doesnt matter if it's a phone, tablet or laptop....

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
10 years of iPads (almost all models), I finally gave up: Apple will never target pro-users with the OS. Lesson finally learned, no more iPads for me.

(Typing this with MacBook Pro + Vision Pro combo)
How’s the VP MBP combo for work?

The iPP is really an excellent tool for pro work. Daily note-taking, using Nebo.app, drawing schemes, reading and replying mail on the go, meetings, reviewing PDF’s. Best is attaching it to a 4k27” screen we have around on flex-workplaces. Writing notes on the side, typing on a good keyboard with a mouse. Even large-ish excels can be reviewed that way. I’ve used it around 12h45 a day last week (has been busy before the holidays).

Only worry I have is if I’m going to replace my M2 12.9” with a 11” or a 12.9” M4 :-D

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
The mini LED on the m1 iPad Pro is great. The only issue is that the mini LED screen made the device thicker and heavier than the 2018 iPad Pro. A reduction in weight and size for the 12.9" iPad Pro would be very welcome.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
People arguing for macOS on an iPad probably aren't thinking it through properly. Like, if you want macOS then buy a laptop.
And yet, Apple is advertising that iPad especially iPad Pro can replace laptops. Then what's the point of making iPad series?

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
The mini LED on the m1 iPad Pro is great. The only issue is that the mini LED screen made the device thicker and heavier than the 2018 iPad Pro. A reduction in weight and size for the 12.9" iPad Pro would be very welcome.
Really curious, how much does 0,1mm and a few grammes make a difference in daily life? Certainly when coupled with a Magic Keyboard. (Or even a folio keyboard).

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
These things are going to cost an absolute fortune. Plus an extra 50% for the keyboard that probably still won't support data.

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
And yet, Apple is advertising that iPad especially iPad Pro can replace laptops. Then what's the point of making iPad series?
Point is that you use it on the go, reading papers/magazines when traveling by train, write notes during meetings, read mail, that sort of things.
If you want to write code, make endless excels, get a laptop and a big screen!

Reactions: Tagbert and klasma

ThaGoochiestMane

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2020
Point is that you use it on the go, reading papers/magazines when traveling by train, write notes during meetings, read mail, that sort of things.
If you want to write code, make endless excels, get a laptop and a big screen!
Or, if MacOS isn't a dealbreaker, you could just get a Surface or any other Surface-knockoff running Windows. That way you could do both on one device, albeit without the polish of Apple's software and hardware.

Reactions: Rokkus76

a m u n

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2018
Ross Young about iPad Pro: “There is a lot more that can be said about the OLED panels. First OLED tablets with LTPO, first OLED tablets with a tandem stack, brightest and longest life OLEDs in tablets, lightest and thinnest OLEDs tablets as well due to glass thinning and TFE.”

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
The point is it's different. It's a different option; different kind of interface. Some users will find it easier and simpler, but the lines will blur as the system continues to gain features and "pro" apps in the coming years.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I'd like to buy an OLED monitor for my Mac like the Samsung Odyssey G9. But everyone says "don't get OLED for a productivity machine - OLED is for gaming or else - burn-in".

My iPhone 12 has OLED, my 14 Pro have OLED and Always-On Display, my Apple Watch Series 6 have OLED and Always-On display. All devices look as good as new.

Why is OLED such a concern, and yes I've seen LOTS of burn-in reports, but Apple always gets away with it without a single issue ?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I'd like to buy an OLED monitor for my Mac like the Samsung Odyssey G9. But everyone says "don't get OLED for a productivity machine - OLED is for gaming or else - burn-in".

My iPhone 12 has OLED, my 14 Pro have OLED and Always-On Display, my Apple Watch Series 6 have OLED and Always-On display. All devices look as good as new.

Why is OLED such a concern, and yes I've seen LOTS of burn-in reports, but Apple always gets away with it without a single issue ?
Because not all OLED is the same of course. Also for iPhones, the usage pattern is usually quite different than with desktop screens.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Some users will find it easier and simpler, but the lines will blur as the system continues to gain features and "pro" apps in the coming years.

The irony being that Apple's core media apps Music, Books and Podcasts are all vastly superior on iPad already. So a Mac user with the supposed full-fat Pro Apple experience gets substandard, poorly designed and buggy junkware versions of the iPad staples. Really quite depressing.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Because not all OLED is the same of course. Also for iPhones, the usage pattern is usually quite different than with desktop screens.
Why would Samsung use "bad" OLED displays? AFAIK LG are the best OLED makers and they even have had their share of problems with their LG UltraGear monitors.

Meanwhile my LG OLED65B7 TV from 2017 is still looking as good as new though.

I've always been basically all-in for OLED displays - but all those reports on the Internet are a bit scary for me to switch my monitor yet.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
I absolutely refuse to get involved in another drawn-out thread wherein we discuss how:
  • "Apple will never put macOS on an iPad" because they want to sell Macs
  • But "Yes, they should do it and be willing to cannibalize their own products and let the market decide"
  • And then someone says: "I don't want my iPad to change for my current use case..."
  • Followed by "But what if they give macOS to the iPad Pros when docked with an expensive Magic Keyboard" because by that point, you're pretty much paying the cost of a Mac anyway.
  • Until finally, we end up with, "But they'll never do it because Tim Cook is in charge."
I absolutely refuse to have this conversation again. Our time is too precious, so I encapsulated the entire conversation for us in this one post so none of us have to go through it again. You're welcome everyone. :p

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Why would Samsung use "bad" OLED displays? AFAIK LG are the best OLED makers and they even have had their share of problems with their LG UltraGear monitors.

Meanwhile my LG OLED65B7 TV from 2017 is still looking as good as new though.

I've always been basically all-in for OLED displays - but all those reports on the Internet are a bit scary for me to switch my monitor yet.
Okay, bear with me here.

There is no “bad” of this screen type or that. LCD/LED/OLED should be thought of umbrella terms under which characteristics can be tweaked to the customer’s preferences.

Example: You may want 100% color accuracy, but you’ll likely have repercussions for another area like brightness.

Not all OLEDs are the same, there’s a huge amount of characteristics you can aim for, but with all engineering it’s a balancing act of tradeoffs.

Attached is an OLED screen, nobody here would take this in a laptop or phone, but it is OLED.

Hopefully that helps!

Attachments

• 1714417600137.jpeg
    1714417600137.jpeg
    5.8 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: PsykX

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
We dont know that yet. There are many reasons why OLED is still not widely used for 11~32 inch monitors especially for professional grade monitors. Even mini-LED is not yet adapted for professional monitors.

Burn-in is the major issue with OLED which is inevitable. Professional LCD monitor can last more than 5 years with quality guarantees which OLED can not do that. Many pros already skeptical about migrating from LCD to OLED as Apple is the only one moving to OLED completely.

The most disaster part is the price. Do you still remember the rumor that 11/13 inch will START from $1500/1800? This info already leaked since March, 2023 from South Korea by well known leaker. Even now, both LG and Samsung are still struggling to manufacture OLED panels for OLED iPad Pro cause it's really expensive, difficult, and low yield. Dont forget that TWO STACK TADNEM OLED is 2~3 times more expensive than overall OLED panels and it will be much more expensive due to LPTO, high specs, size, and more. If the rumor is true, then most of us will not buy it for a long time.
Honestly, this is gonna cost me some downvotes but, I’m with you here.

Most rumors (if not all) point towards an OLED release. And I think they are right. But OLED has all those disadvantages and also the PWM problem for those sensitive to it.

I don’t know if all the new iPad Pros are coming with OLED, but if Apple could provide us with the same device with an LCD display (this is, an iPad Air with the same internal specs), it would be great news for those of us that don’t care about OLED black quality, don’t like to be exposed to OLED during prolonged periods of time, or just don’t want to spend so much money to have the latest SoC on our iPad.

Reactions: chrispyk and sunny5

ninetyCent

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2012
Maybe focus on making the keyboard less bulky instead. Plus it looks like an old man case when closed right now.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The hardware isn’t the issue for the iPads it’s the software
This comment is just spam at this point. I’m downvoting it every time. You people need to save your woes about iPadOS for articles about iPadOS and stop flooding every single comment section about iPad hardware with your irrelevant lamenting. You honestly expect Apple to stop improving hardware until you get what you want?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I absolutely refuse to get involved in another drawn-out thread wherein we discuss how:
  • "Apple will never put macOS on an iPad" because they want to sell Macs
  • But "Yes, they should do it and be willing to cannibalize their own products and let the market decide"
  • And then someone says: "I don't want my iPad to change for my current use case..."
  • Followed by "But what if they give macOS to the iPad Pros when docked with an expensive Magic Keyboard" because by that point, you're pretty much paying the cost of a Mac anyway.
  • Until finally, we end up with, "But they'll never do it because Tim Cook is in charge."
I absolutely refuse to have this conversation again. Our time is too precious, so I encapsulated the entire conversation for us in this one post so none of us have to go through it again. You're welcome everyone. :p
Yeah, that one and the “8GB of RAM are/aren’t enough for a Mac in 2024” are two topics that repeat in a funny circle each week here at MR. I’m guilty of being on each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.