Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
Netflix chooses not to support the TV app.

I'm a bit confused here. Is this place in the forums about the Apple TV hardware or the Apple TV service?

So if I buy Apple TV 4K box/hardware, I can't use it to watch Netflix? Or is it in the app on my Mac mini that lacks Netflix? Don't really understand

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I'm a bit confused here. Is this place in the forums about the Apple TV hardware or the Apple TV service?

So if I buy Apple TV 4K box/hardware, I can't use it to watch Netflix? Or is it in the app on my Mac mini that lacks Netflix? Don't really understand

The Apple TV 4K box has Netflix as a separate app. There is an Apple TV app also that has various listings from other services such as Showtime, STARZ, EPIX and more…just not Netflix shows and movies. You can only view and watch Netflix shows and movies from the separate Netflix app which must be downloaded from the App Store on the Apple TV itself. The Apple TV app on your Mac mini will also not show any Netflix content. You will need to go to Netflix’s website to view and watch their content.

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
The Apple TV 4K box has Netflix as a separate app. There is an Apple TV app also that has various listings from other services such as Showtime, STARZ, EPIX and more…just not Netflix shows and movies. You can only view and watch Netflix shows and movies from the separate Netflix app which must be downloaded from the App Store on the Apple TV itself. The Apple TV app on your Mac mini will also not show any Netflix content. You will need to go to Netflix’s website to view and watch their content.

Thanks. That was all I needed to know :)

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
The other things that I find annoying about the app: 1) Other apps such as Netflix and Disney+ remember if you watch part of an episode and when you select to continue it starts at where you left it - my experience with Apple+ is that it doesn't. 2) Again, other similar apps will "ignore" the orientation lock setting so you can watch a movie in the orientation that best fits - Apple TV+ "obeys" the orientation lock and won't rotate - you have to unlock the orientation lock to change views. I keep it locked so it is a pain for me.
Neither is a deal killer but makes it much less user friendly to me.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I've watched Morning Show, Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest on Apple TV+ and that's worth the subscription price compared to Netflix and Prime.

Reactions: 211

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Ultimately all services that don’t help you basically live can be seen as a “waste of money”.

The question is, do you as an individual feel you get enough out of a service to warrant the cost…

In that respect, we’re all unique and have totally different priorities, desires and feelings. What’s a waste to one, is value for money for another.

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
No question that AppleTV+ is much lighter on content. I’ve watched Our Planet at Night, Small World, I tried to get into For All Mankind, I watched free starz Girlfriend Experience which started good but trailed off quickly, I tried mosquito coast. Apple TV+ Seems to be targeting specific ‘look and feel’ entertainment that often lacks a general appeal (Netflix has that down to a science imho). But what AppleTV+ Does provide is in superb A/V quality at a lower price. If the content expands it would be top notch streaming service. Get the amex blue card for 6% off streaming services, FYI.

But hold onto that free year. Expected in February or March is the 10 part series Masters of the Air. It is the finish up from Band of Brothers and The Pacific. Two of the greatest mini series ever on pay tv service imho (originally on HBO). In 4K, Hanks and Spielberg, 200 million budget. If you enjoy WW2 historical then this should be a home run. And it will be the first offering from AppkeTV+ that is aimed completely to a different audience than much of their existing content.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
I was a bit sceptical about Apple TV+ when it was first announced but I got a years free trial when I brought a new iPad and I have to say I’m quite impressed with the content.
I think going down the new content only route gives it a different feel.
At the moment I’m really enjoying Trying, Mosquito Coast & 1971.
I think I’ll probably subscribe when the free trial ends in July.

applesque

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
USA/Israel
Watching something again reminded me of a couple of things I don't like. I watch at the gym and often don't watch whole episode. Other streaming sources "remember" where I was in a episode. Apple + not so. I have to remember and fast forward to place to restart. Second other streamers on my iPhone rotate the picture to the proper orientation even though I have rotation locked on the iPhone. With Apple + I have to unlock rotation to get to proper orientation.
isnt that the whole point of orientation lock?

Reactions: AZhappyjack

applesque

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
USA/Israel
Watching something again reminded me of a couple of things I don't like. I watch at the gym and often don't watch whole episode. Other streaming sources "remember" where I was in a episode. Apple + not so. I have to remember and fast forward to place to restart. Second other streamers on my iPhone rotate the picture to the proper orientation even though I have rotation locked on the iPhone. With Apple + I have to unlock rotation to get to proper orientation.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Yes it is but it is a pain when you want to watch a video - I don't want it normally and as I said other video providers (HBO MAX, Netflix, etc) orient it as you want without having to deal with the lock. I'm sure there are people who prefer the others didn't do it. To me it just makes watching a video harder on my iPhone

Reactions: applesque

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
Yes it is but it is a pain when you want to watch a video - I don't want it normally and as I said other video providers (HBO MAX, Netflix, etc) orient it as you want without having to deal with the lock. I'm sure there are people who prefer the others didn't do it. To me it just makes watching a video harder on my iPhone
You can solve this problem by just using a shortcut to automatically enable/disable orientation lock when the app is opened and automatically enable/disable it when the app is closed.

This can help you out:

Last edited:
Reactions: jdechko

jimkingwood

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Apple TV gives you the ability to see Apple TV specific programming along with the ability to view Hulu and other streaming channels all in one place.
This is true but two things:
- Apple TV+ content is limited as hell
- Roku is a far better platform for hosting the other content apps.

OP's question is valid. If I didn't have tons of previously-purchased iTunes content I would probably never open Apple TV+.

Having said all of that, some people use Apple TV+ through their Apple TV box. Many users use this box for connectivity to Homepods. As well as to just stay in the Apple eco-system.

jimkingwood

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
@mallbritton in theory you can link other streaming services to Apple TV+, and so you could have them in the single App. But I don't see myself paying money every month for that. I mean, how lazy do you have to be to not want to switch apps. So far I've been unimpressed with content.
Same here. Roku is better. I bought a Roku dongle with RF remote and am seldom outside of it. Not monthly subscription. It does have Apple TV+ for users that want to add that.

jimkingwood

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
You are still confusing the app with the streaming Channel. The app is named Apple TV and it does not require a subscription to use it. The streaming service is Apple TV+ and is a Channel within the app that costs $5 a month to subscribe to.
And then of course there is the Apple TV hardware. Not at all confusing.

• Haha
Reactions: ackmondual

OverTheHill

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2021
I got a year free with my iPhone 12 Pro. It seems to me that there are maybe a handful of items that can be watched for free. For anything else you have to pay more. Why in heaven's name would I pay for something like this? I already can buy these things on Amazon and Hulu and Vudu. This appears to be a service created either for rich people with a lot of money to spend, or for the ultimate Apple fan boy.

I'd appreciate it if others could post what they watch on this service that makes it worth the price.
We turn it on an off with series we want to watch. Going to get busy in September with Foundation coming and Invasion. Both look good.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
You can solve this problem by just using a shortcut to automatically enable/disable orientation lock when the app is opened and automatically enable/disable it when the app is closed.

This can help you out:
o_O

Thank you so much for this! It sucks that this has to be done, but at least there's a fix!

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I think its worth it, I enjoy the shows that they have. Morning Show, Amazing Stories, Mythic Quest, Home Before Dark, etc., are all fun to watch. $4.99 isn't a huge investment for what it is presently, and will be in the future.

I think we all suffer from streaming overload, and I have found for me, the more focused/limited set of shows to watch the better. It makes my viewing more deliberate, as my time is usually short with all my other interests.

Its not everyones cup of tea, though.
Pretty much this. Talk to enough people (online an in-person) and you'll run into folks who just aren't into Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Paramount Plus, HBO Max, etc. And given their own preferences in content, they'll have legit reasons to not like them. On a related note, I knew Showtime was a cable TV channel, but didn't know until recently that they also stream their own content. I looked at their catalogue and noting interested me (although if I'm ever seeking new stuff, I'll definitely revisit them).

As for A-TV, my big reason for getting into it is to redeem 3 months free. And I'm not doing it just for the sake of doing so. I do have a few shows, movies, and documentaries lined up. That said, I don't anticipate needing more than the included 3 months. If I do, I'll happily add a month or 2 to be able to wrap things up.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's only £5 a month as a standalone subscription so I think It's worth keeping. There's usually something on there that I want to watch or someone in my house wants to watch. Having said that I had it free since it came out until aa few months after the one plan came out. Now I subscribe to the premier one plan. Apple Music family is already £15 a month and then Apple News+ is £9.99 and iCloud storage would be £6.99. So Apple TV+ doesn't matter to me now. I pay for the premium plan mainly for the aforementioned services. Apple TV+ continues to be free for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.