Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamBuker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
So I use my Platinum //e to do a bit of writing. So far I've used ADTPro to transfer disk images from my Apple //e to both my PowerBook G4 and my M1 MacMini. However, if I want to transfer files from the disk images to MacOS, I have to use an old version of an app called AppleCommander that works on the Powerbook.

Theoretically, the latest version of this app 1.8.0 should run on Apple Silicon with Java 11 installed. Older versions of this app should run with Java 8. I've tried both older and newer versions of Java and AppleCommander in all sorts of combinations. I cannot get it to work no matter what. I've even tried installing homebrew just to install java via terminal as described here.

I've also tried to install a similar Windows app called CiderPress via WINE, but that has also failed.

So does anyone know if there is an Apple Silicon compatible application that will convert files from Apple ][ disk images? Or, does anyone know how to get a compatible Java setup working?

Lisahadid

Suspended
Oct 20, 2022
At this time, it appears that the options for transferring files from Apple ][ disk images on an Apple Silicon device are limited. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be an Apple Silicon compatible application that will convert files from Apple ][ disk images.

However, if you are able to use a Windows-based computer, then you may be able to use the CiderPress application via WINE to transfer the files. Alternatively, you may be able to use an emulator such as AppleWin or a cross-platform emulator such as Virtual ][ to transfer the files.

Finally, you may want to consider using an online service such as Floppy Emu or Apple File Exchange, which provide solutions for transferring files from Apple ][ disk images to modern computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.