Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
With Oscar wins and fantastic series such as Severence, I think AppleTV+ is now a major player in the streaming wars.
Mind you they still lack the amount of content versus other services, but their catalog is growing.

And they've always been more quality over quantity (You just have to look over at Netflix today to see the crap they're throwing at the wall to see what sticks).

I remember the early days when everyone laughed at AppleTV+ without realizing content doesn't grow overnight. Like most ventures, Apple's playing the long game and it's paying off.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’ve certainly seen some nice content on that service but there have been a couple things I also found rather lacking, like the second season of the morning show and that entire invasion show. Luckily one can just cancel the subscription, wait a few months and then binge the new stuff in a few weeks.

Reactions: ackmondual

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Again, for the second year in a row, Apple TV+ remains with the title of having the highest-rated content of any streaming service available. The study compares Apple’s video service with Netflix, HBO Max, Prime Video, Disney+, and Hulu. The analysis from Self Financial uses IMDb scores with US customer data.

So its not just us that say so! :D

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Methinks they should also advertise that ATV+ can be used without Apple hardware. For the longest time, I didn't bother with it b/c of that reason (although TBF, I was in the thick of numerous other SS at those times). It wasn't until I got a free trial that I actually looked into this (I've watched stuff on a Windows computer, via Firefox browser).

Shows were good. I'd say it's a great value. $5 a month, or as low as $3.80 if you buy annual through Costco, with no ads. People are right though... their library is relatively small. However, it should keep you occupied for a good month or 5 to 6. Depending on how fast you watch shows, and what you're into and not (I've heard of one person who ended up only finding half of what the others watch to be "anything worthwhile", so YMMV).

Myself, I'll return to them after I wrap up a bunch of other SS, but also when new TV series get new seasons (most looking forward to Foundation). After my Amazon Prime expires (which I won't be renewing), I'm going to try out Netflix. Unlike others who've been with them for 10+ years (even when they started off mailing DVDs), I'm new to Netflix (save for Queen's Gambit which I saw while with family, and a season of Disenchantment and Stranger Things that I saw at friends' houses), so don't mind trying a month or 3 of that.

Reactions: macsplusmacs

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It definitely is. I'm not sure how I expected it to happen, but there are definitely some show on Apple TV+ which indicate the service has "made it" (Ted Lasso, Severance).

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
With Oscar wins and fantastic series such as Severence, I think AppleTV+ is now a major player in the streaming wars.
Mind you they still lack the amount of content versus other services, but their catalog is growing.

And they've always been more quality over quantity (You just have to look over at Netflix today to see the crap they're throwing at the wall to see what sticks).
Yeah - I got a free year and thought I'd walk away at the end of it, and I thought they were doomed when the pandemic cut production before they had finished building up content - but then there was a triple whammy of Severance, Slow Horses and Shining Girls - and now there's season 3 of For All Mankind - so Netflix got the chop (at least for a few months) instead.

Just hope we won't get a Netflix/Amazon-style 2+ year wait for season 2 of Foundation - which I thought was pretty good once you dropped any expectations of it staying faithful to the books.

Methinks they should also advertise that ATV+ can be used without Apple hardware. For the longest time,
The Apple brand is both a blessing and a curse like that. However, there are a lot of iPhone users out there and they tend towards the deeper-pocketed end of the market, so Apple probably did their math. Plus, AppleTV+ can help sell Apple kit, too.

One problem, though, is not ATV+ itself, but the way it's tangled up with the AppleTV app which tries to make itself a hub for everything, including paid content. A (non-Apple-using) friend downloaded the App, started an AppleTV+ subscription and immediately cancelled because "everything still cost extra" - they'd seen stuff promoted in the App and assumed it was part of the ATV+ subscription - I don't think they even found the actual ATV+ content nestling amongst the paid content. C.f. Netflix and Disney+ where what you see is what you get. Amazon is almost as bad (again, convoluting the Amazon Prime subscription service with the name of the online video store), but they do have a lot of bundled content to find rather than a handful of premium content. Plus I expect classier behaviour from Apple.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
One problem, though, is not ATV+ itself, but the way it's tangled up with the AppleTV app which tries to make itself a hub for everything, including paid content. A (non-Apple-using) friend downloaded the App, started an AppleTV+ subscription and immediately cancelled because "everything still cost extra" - they'd seen stuff promoted in the App and assumed it was part of the ATV+ subscription - I don't think they even found the actual ATV+ content nestling amongst the paid content. C.f. Netflix and Disney+ where what you see is what you get. Amazon is almost as bad (again, convoluting the Amazon Prime subscription service with the name of the online video store), but they do have a lot of bundled content to find rather than a handful of premium content. Plus I expect classier behaviour from Apple.
I do find it odd that Apple have gone with the naming scheme they have; it seems very un-Apple like. Having the App and the service as similar names is not a much of a problem, they should change the name of the hardware product to something else. Maybe explain the difference between the service and the app with better marketing.

Was the TV+ tab an option in the app when your friend tried to use the service? I know the tab wasn’t there when it first launched & it would’ve been difficult for someone who isn’t in the Apple ecosystem, or very tech savvy, to find what they had a trial on/were paying for.

I think they could still clean up the app a bit more. Maybe they should have a ‘channels’ tab at the top of the app as well. I’ve just signed up for Paramount+ through Apple TV channels & wasn’t even sure what the difference between that and using the Paramount+ app (with up next integration) was.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Was the TV+ tab an option in the app when your friend tried to use the service?
They were perfectly tech-savvy and working out how to home in on ATV+ content wouldn't have been an issue long term. But their first experience was the ATV app promoting material which, after they subscribed, turned out not to be included - and you only get one chance to make a first impression. Especially for a service that still depends on convincing people that it offers quality over quantity.

I think it's the App - and it's desire to be a "hub" for all your viewing - that is the problem, at least for non-Apple users. I have an AppleTV box, and as the front end for that it makes sense (although it's nobbled by the lack of full Netflix support or any sort of music, so you end up needing the TVOS front end anyway) but if you're an Android/WebOS/FireTV/etc. user you only install the AppleTV app because you want to want to check out ATV+, not because you want "what to watch" recommendations from Disney, Amazon or Paramount+ - or even from the formerly-iTunes video store.

It wouldn't be rocket surgery to make a stand-alone "AppleTV+" App that purely showcased ATV+ content and name the current "entertainment hub" App something different (they could revive the "Front Row" name).

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
They were perfectly tech-savvy and working out how to home in on ATV+ content wouldn't have been an issue long term. But their first experience was the ATV app promoting material which, after they subscribed, turned out not to be included - and you only get one chance to make a first impression. Especially for a service that still depends on convincing people that it offers quality over quantity.

I think it's the App - and it's desire to be a "hub" for all your viewing - that is the problem, at least for non-Apple users. I have an AppleTV box, and as the front end for that it makes sense (although it's nobbled by the lack of full Netflix support or any sort of music, so you end up needing the TVOS front end anyway) but if you're an Android/WebOS/FireTV/etc. user you only install the AppleTV app because you want to want to check out ATV+, not because you want "what to watch" recommendations from Disney, Amazon or Paramount+ - or even from the formerly-iTunes video store.

It wouldn't be rocket surgery to make a stand-alone "AppleTV+" App that purely showcased ATV+ content and name the current "entertainment hub" App something different (they could revive the "Front Row" name).
If the tab wasn’t there for them, then that’s understandable. The tab now solves the issue you’re talking about (first experience and non-Apple users)

It’s safe to say that they’re now starting to convince people that they offer quality over quantity.

Netflix needs to integrate with the Apple TV app. I don’t look at what’s on there because of it & I’ve cancelled my subscription now that Stranger Things has finished for another season.

There is actually a standalone Apple TV+ app on some devices. Sky TV set-top boxes in the UK have it. Probably because they don’t want people to purchase content from the Apple TV/iTunes Store when they offer rentals and purchases on their own store.

They just need to change the name of the hardware now.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Netflix needs to integrate with the Apple TV app. I don’t look at what’s on there because of it & I’ve cancelled my subscription now that Stranger Things has finished for another season.
I've done likewise - and consequently I'm using the ATV app more as it happily links with Prime, Disney+, iPlayer etc. As I said, I think it's fine as the "media centre" App on an Apple device.

The App on my LG TV (which I assume is the regular Android/WebOS app) seems to have the same functionality, though, & if you don't check that you're on the ATV+ tab will happily recommend paid stuff on other services (not just the Apple store) - which are all available separately on the TV & even have dedicated buttons on the remote. Still seems counterproductive if you're trying to sell Android users ATV+ and Apple Store media.

(...and, yeah, I'd rather have bought a 'dumb' TV that didn't duplicate all the functions that an ATV or Fire TV does better & will probably be unsupported after a year, but such things don't seem to exist).

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I've done likewise - and consequently I'm using the ATV app more as it happily links with Prime, Disney+, iPlayer etc. As I said, I think it's fine as the "media centre" App on an Apple device.

The App on my LG TV (which I assume is the regular Android/WebOS app) seems to have the same functionality, though, & if you don't check that you're on the ATV+ tab will happily recommend paid stuff on other services (not just the Apple store) - which are all available separately on the TV & even have dedicated buttons on the remote. Still seems counterproductive if you're trying to sell Android users ATV+ and Apple Store media.

(...and, yeah, I'd rather have bought a 'dumb' TV that didn't duplicate all the functions that an ATV or Fire TV does better & will probably be unsupported after a year, but such things don't seem to exist).
As far as I’m aware, the integration with other services only works on Apple devices.

Before I purchased my current TV, I was looking for a decent sized one that wasn’t smart. I couldn’t find a ’dumb’ TV in the size I wanted.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
As far as I’m aware, the integration with other services only works on Apple devices.
I stand corrected - on the TV the recommendations I thought were from other streaming services were actually from the Apple store. Still paid content, though. The TV app still has a “channels” section with things like Paramount plus - presumably you can subscribe to those via Apple.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
While there are some shows I’ve not been impressed with or interested in watching, it’s far outweighed by the content I’m enjoying.

AppleTV+ may not have the big library some of the competition does yet, but it’s getting bigger, it’s all in 4K, and it’s $5 a month.

I appreciate that they’re focusing on quality over quantity vs. throwing a bunch of money at half baked uninspired content and hoping something sticks. They’d be wise to learn from Netflix’s mistakes and ensure all their shows have a proper resolution if they get canceled, which I believe they have so far 👍

Last edited:

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
While there are some shows I’ve not been impressed with or interested in watching, it’s far outweighed by the content I’m enjoying.

AppleTV+ may not have the big library some of the competition does yet, but it’s getting bigger, it’s all in 4K, and it’s $5 a month.

I appreciate that they’re focusing on quality over quantity vs. throwing a bunch of money at half baked uninspired content and hoping something sticks. They’d be wise to learn from Netflix’s mistakes and ensure all their shows have a proper resolution if they get canceled, which I believe they have so far 👍
I think most shows on AppleTV+ they have a good chance with two seasons on. Unfortunately they cancelled Mr. Corman after just 1 series. Despite being clearly American it had some nice British style surrealism. It would probably have performed better on BBC2 or Channel4 this side of the pond.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
AppleTV+ has a strong core of original content. Things are going to start getting much more interesting as the big entertainment corporations start lunching their own streaming services and start pulling their lisensed content from Netflix, Prime, HBO Max etc. We already saw it with Disney content, now WarnerBro/Discovery are doing it.

If you relegated Netflix or Prime to JUST it’s original content, would they hold up on their own?… there’s a lot of chaff.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Apple needs to be more aggressive with bundling. The current Apple One plans are too centered around Apple Music as the anchor service.

I am betting that outside Apple Music, iCloud+ is their most popular standalone subscription service. So why not create Apple One plans around that? $7.95/month for iCloud+ 200GB, Apple Arcade, Apple TV+. $14.95/month for iCloud+ 2TB, Apple Arcade, and Apple TV+.

Apple Music Student, which currently includes Apple TV+ (supposedly a limited time promo), is popular among college students, so create Apple One Student at $7.95/month: Apple Music Student, iCloud+ 50GB, Apple Arcade, Apple TV+.

Also, Apple Card can be used as a carrot. Instead of the usual 3% discount, offer more generous discount toward Apple One subscription, perhaps annual payment option.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I think most shows on AppleTV+ they have a good chance with two seasons on. Unfortunately they cancelled Mr. Corman after just 1 series. Despite being clearly American it had some nice British style surrealism. It would probably have performed better on BBC2 or Channel4 this side of the pond.
This was a show I started and didn’t finish. I’m curious - Did the season end with a cliffhanger?

I’m glad we got a second season of The Morning Show, for example, but season one ended in a way that felt like a complete experience for me had it not continued.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Also, Apple Card can be used as a carrot. Instead of the usual 3% discount, offer more generous discount toward Apple One subscription, perhaps annual payment option.

I just got 🥕 from Apple Card this morning: 3 months of AppleTV+

They’re running a promo, so check your wallet and redeem if you see it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I just got 🥕 from Apple Card this morning: 3 months of AppleTV+

They’re running a promo, so check your wallet and redeem if you see it.
Best Buy also frequently runs Apple TV+, Apple News+, and Apple Music promos. But I frankly would prefer to get Apple One bundle and not worry about this. If I can get Apple One Premier at $299.50/year (or ideally, my dream Apple One bundle with iCloud+ 2TB, Apple Arcade, and Apple TV+ at $149.50/year) I will just sign up with it and be done about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.