Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Anyone else a little underwhelmed with the new Aqara M3 Hub that's suppose to fix the SmartHome world of compatibility Chaos? I can't believe they released a Hub that does zero to unify everything that is wrong with Hubs, Smart home products and other general headaches.

Up to now I love Aqara products and they work great and I've had zero issues nor even 1 second of down time from anything Aqara that I use.
This section of the forums will have to convince me I'm a little off and not looking at everything correctly.

I'm HomeKit 4 Life and I'm never going to change. My system runs flawlessly. The new Aqara M3 Hub I just purchased most likely will never be installed unless there are numerous hardware or software updates + members here confirm they work.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Anyone else a little underwhelmed with the new Aqara M3 Hub that's suppose to fix the SmartHome world of compatibility Chaos? I can't believe they released a Hub that does zero to unify everything that is wrong with Hubs, Smart home products and other general headaches.

Up to now I love Aqara products and they work great and I've had zero issues nor even 1 second of down time from anything Aqara that I use.
This section of the forums will have to convince me I'm a little off and not looking at everything correctly.

I'm HomeKit 4 Life and I'm never going to change. My system runs flawlessly. The new Aqara M3 Hub I just purchased most likely will never be installed unless there are numerous hardware or software updates + members here confirm they work.
I watched all the YouTube reviews on it and I don’t see a compelling reason to upgrade from the M2 at this point. The only things I see a good improvement are the better speakers and PoE.

Hopefully they keep updating it. I don’t see how they won’t. Aqara is very good at updating and improving. I’ve been using them way before they went mainstream and trying to get an M1 hub on Amazon was near impossible. I had to resort to their Chinese versions using outlet adapters.

On a side note, I would’ve liked to have seen compatibility with Z-Wave products. I bought a Hubitat hub when they released HomeKit compatibility but I haven’t installed it yet. My first Z-Wave product still sitting in the box is the Bulldog water valve controller. Excited to get it up and running in HomeKit one day lol.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
On a side note, I would’ve liked to have seen compatibility with Z-Wave products. I bought a Hubitat hub when they released HomeKit compatibility but I haven’t installed it yet. My first Z-Wave product still sitting in the box is the Bulldog water valve controller. Excited to get it up and running in HomeKit one day lol.

While I primary use Homebridge linking Homeseer to Homekit, I have also used a hubitat to bridge zwave directly to homekit as well. Works fine, and nice that it doesnt require homebridge but I much prefer Homeseer.

That said I would encourage you to set up that zwave bridge because there are so many supported zwave devices it opens up lots of options and gets devices of 2.4ghz. And its pretty simple to get going and linked to Homekit.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
While I primary use Homebridge linking Homeseer to Homekit, I have also used a hubitat to bridge zwave directly to homekit as well. Works fine, and nice that it doesnt require homebridge but I much prefer Homeseer.

That said I would encourage you to set up that zwave bridge because there are so many supported zwave devices it opens up lots of options and gets devices of 2.4ghz. And its pretty simple to get going and linked to Homekit.
Awesome, good to know. Thanks.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Truth is this is when things are going to get interesting. Everything up to know has been talk (cheap talk) Now it's time to prove it all and give use the consumers everything we have been needing for years. I don't want to be strung along with promise after promise.

I want a modern Cave not one that resembles a few from several thousands years ago. :)

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I installed 29 Leviton 2nd gen devices in a commercial building. I plan to install at least 20 more. Right now they are working flawlessly via HomePod mini and 3 Apple TV’s(for information displays) as I understand it if I add this, M3 hub, I can potentially use these devices off-line in the event of a Internet failure. I think I’m going to try to test this, I will leave the 29 devices connected to the HomePod mini and install the next set of devices onto the M3 hub.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
I installed 29 Leviton 2nd gen devices in a commercial building. I plan to install at least 20 more. Right now they are working flawlessly via HomePod mini and 3 Apple TV’s(for information displays) as I understand it if I add this, M3 hub, I can potentially use these devices off-line in the event of a Internet failure. I think I’m going to try to test this, I will leave the 29 devices connected to the HomePod mini and install the next set of devices onto the M3 hub.
Homekit devices work without an internet connection, provided the (w)LAN is still functional.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
From my understanding it doesn't do anything it was purported as being able to do like everyone touted when introduced. Remember those days a long time ago (maybe 2 years ago?).

We we no long going to need a different Hub for everything nor rely on WiFi rather that a Hub. These new Standards were going to unify everything and make everything work together no matter which system you were using or preferred to use. Just plug it in and use it like it was just another old familiar family member.

Well? none of that has happened, Has anyone been able to use a Philips Bulb without the Philips Hub/Bridge/Magic Box or what ever they call it these days? Matter fact has that magic box increased its total number of items it can use with one Hub/Bridge?Magix Box etc? Philips keeps releasing new items we can't use because everyone in the last 5 years has reach their limits on home many items they can use with one Hub/Bridge/Magic Box etc. Will someone over at Signify with more than 2.5 drain cells please name the device properly so for the next umpteen years are grandchildren and their grandchildren are not confused.

Google! Dont' even get me started. Remember Google that company that has killed everyone accept Google Search and Gmail. Everything else they have axed, killed off, no longer support etc, etc, Blah, Blah, Blah. Google is even having a hard time coming up with legitimate wording to explain why they are no longer supporting an item people love.

Logitech anyone? Pffff...
Aqara...... They don't even know what they are supporting or who they are supporting and why? You certainly can't use both or two companies at there same time. It's one of the other and once again we are stuck in one ecosystem. Plus we loose some of the neatest options like Adaptive lighting. WTF!

I could write a novel easy on this topic but don't want to waste my life on such things and besides no one would read it. So for the moment I hope just a few people think about what's written and how you use your own equipment.

Has the "Matter" and or "Thread" technology solved all your smart home issues? My answer is an easy no and I have currently accumulated over 20 Thread and Matter items that are still new in the box because I can't use them. If you do use them I loose features I currently love to use and have been using for years.

*Tell me I'm wrong and change my mind. I love to learn and I want my home to be awesome.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
From my understanding it doesn't do anything it was purported as being able to do like everyone touted when introduced. Remember those days a long time ago (maybe 2 years ago?).

We we no long going to need a different Hub for everything nor rely on WiFi rather that a Hub. These new Standards were going to unify everything and make everything work together no matter which system you were using or preferred to use. Just plug it in and use it like it was just another old familiar family member.

Well? none of that has happened, Has anyone been able to use a Philips Bulb without the Philips Hub/Bridge/Magic Box or what ever they call it these days? Matter fact has that magic box increased its total number of items it can use with one Hub/Bridge?Magix Box etc? Philips keeps releasing new items we can't use because everyone in the last 5 years has reach their limits on home many items they can use with one Hub/Bridge/Magic Box etc. Will someone over at Signify with more than 2.5 drain cells please name the device properly so for the next umpteen years are grandchildren and their grandchildren are not confused.

Google! Dont' even get me started. Remember Google that company that has killed everyone accept Google Search and Gmail. Everything else they have axed, killed off, no longer support etc, etc, Blah, Blah, Blah. Google is even having a hard time coming up with legitimate wording to explain why they are no longer supporting an item people love.

Logitech anyone? Pffff...
Aqara...... They don't even know what they are supporting or who they are supporting and why? You certainly can't use both or two companies at there same time. It's one of the other and once again we are stuck in one ecosystem. Plus we loose some of the neatest options like Adaptive lighting. WTF!

I could write a novel easy on this topic but don't want to waste my life on such things and besides no one would read it. So for the moment I hope just a few people think about what's written and how you use your own equipment.

Has the "Matter" and or "Thread" technology solved all your smart home issues? My answer is an easy no and I have currently accumulated over 20 Thread and Matter items that are still new in the box because I can't use them. If you do use them I loose features I currently love to use and have been using for years.

*Tell me I'm wrong and change my mind. I love to learn and I want my home to be awesome.
I knew a few years ago when Matter (then called CHOIP) was going to confuse things even more. Was fine the way it was. Manufacturers just needed to implement more of their products into HomeKit (Apple taking fault too because of their very stringent security policies).

BTW, I’m running six Philips Hue Bridges 😬

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
I knew a few years ago when Matter (then called CHOIP) was going to confuse things even more. Was fine the way it was. Manufacturers just needed to implement more of their products into HomeKit (Apple taking fault too because of their very stringent security policies).

BTW, I’m running six Philips Hue Bridges 😬
I was with you until you said their security policies are too stringent. I think that alone is the best feature of Homekit. I praise Apple for making the standard for security high when we are talking about devices connected to the internet and sold by companies set to track and sell the data.

If they were laxed on this requirement, i'd still be zwave only.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I was with you until you said their security policies are too stringent. I think that alone is the best feature of Homekit. I praise Apple for making the standard for security high when we are talking about devices connected to the internet and sold by companies set to track and sell the data.

If they were laxed on this requirement, i'd still be zwave only.
Eh, I don’t think they’re as security oriented as they would have you believe. It’s all smoke and mirrors so might as well open it up a bit. Getting caught listening to “Hey, Siri” requests a few years back. I remember a few months ago, my eight year old son got hurt in his hockey game. Didn’t have my phone out once but when I got to my car and connected to CarPlay, there was a Siri suggestion for directions to the nearest Urgent Care and I’m not even exaggerating. What about speaking about something and FB showing ads for that very thing, even though microphone is turned off for FB. I understand that to be connected, I’m forfeiting a certain amount of privacy and security. It is what is but let’s not pretend Apple is 💯 innocent here. It’s all for show. I don’t trust them anymore than I trust The other big tech companies.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Eh, I don’t think they’re as security oriented as they would have you believe. It’s all smoke and mirrors so might as well open it up a bit. Getting caught listening to “Hey, Siri” requests a few years back. I remember a few months ago, my eight year old son got hurt in his hockey game. Didn’t have my phone out once but when I got to my car and connected to CarPlay, there was a Siri suggestion for directions to the nearest Urgent Care and I’m not even exaggerating. What about speaking about something and FB showing ads for that very thing, even though microphone is turned off for FB. I understand that to be connected, I’m forfeiting a certain amount of privacy and security. It is what is but let’s not pretend Apple is 💯 innocent here. It’s all for show. I don’t trust them anymore than I trust The other big tech companies.

I dont agree with your assertions/assumptions and it has nothing to do with homekit or Apple's requirement that they work locally and only communicate within the LAN, behind your hub.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I dont agree with your assertions/assumptions and it has nothing to do with homekit or Apple's requirement that they work locally and only communicate within the LAN, behind your hub.
Hey, we don’t have to agree on anything but nothing says HomeKit like Siri. Apple would disagree with you too.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Hey, we don’t have to agree on anything but nothing says HomeKit like Siri. Apple would disagree with you too.

Again, this has nothing to do with Homekit devices. You do not have to opt in to Siri. The security stance they impose on third party devices homekit certification is undeniably a good thing; that was what we were talking about.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Again, this has nothing to do with Homekit devices. You do not have to opt in to Siri. The security stance they impose on third party devices homekit certification is undeniably a good thing; that was what we were talking about.
Sure, you don’t have to opt in, but that option only became available after a whistleblower exposed them. My point is, they couldn’t even do 💯 privacy on their own 1st party HomeKit devices after touting privacy on a billboard in Vegas. The HomePod was guilty of this and also, they got rid of the HomeKit security chip a long time ago to try to catch up to the market.

Through software, they can do a lot of things we won’t be privy to. You can trust them with your life and that’s fine. I don’t but I don’t care. I’m just a small fry in the grand scheme of things and them (Apple, third parties) seeing my bare hairy a$$ in my home through a camera is the least of my concerns. If they don’t like what’s on, they can change the channel. Again, I think this whole privacy thing they boast about is all smoke and mirrors. The iPhone is listening all the time. Very hard to deny that.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Sure, you don’t have to opt in, but that option only became available after a whistleblower exposed them. My point is, they couldn’t even do 💯 privacy on their own 1st party HomeKit devices after touting privacy on a billboard in Vegas. The HomePod was guilty of this and also, they got rid of the HomeKit security chip a long time ago to try to catch up to the market.

Through software, they can do a lot of things we won’t be privy to. You can trust them with your life and that’s fine. I don’t but I don’t care. I’m just a small fry in the grand scheme of things and them (Apple, third parties) seeing my bare hairy a$$ in my home through a camera is the least of my concerns. If they don’t like what’s on, they can change the channel. Again, I think this whole privacy thing they boast about is all smoke and mirrors. The iPhone is listening all the time. Very hard to deny that.
Siri has always been opt-in.

-My- point is that you said Apple having stringent requirements on network security regarding third party homekit devices should be laxed. I disagree.
Now you are going on and on about other things.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Siri has always been opt-in.

-My- point is that you said Apple having stringent requirements on network security regarding third party homekit devices should be laxed. I disagree.
Now you are going on and on about other things.
If you can point out where I said they should have a more lax third party device policy, I’d appreciate it because I have no clue what you’re talking about. I’m pretty sure it has more to do with the fees that these companies didn’t want to pay and less the “security policies” why we have much less HomeKit options than the competition.

By the way, aren’t you the one who strongly advocates for HomeBridge on here, an open source that allows non-certified HomeKit devices into HomeKit?

If you don’t like my responses, then please feel free to move on. These aren’t other things. They’re relevant. Siri is the core of HomeKit and they couldn’t even get their own act together.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
If you can point out where I said they should have a more lax third party device policy, I’d appreciate it because I have no clue what you’re talking about. I’m pretty sure it has more to do with the fees that these companies didn’t want to pay and less the “security policies” why we have much less HomeKit options than the competition.

By the way, aren’t you the one who strongly advocates for HomeBridge on here, an open source that allows non-certified HomeKit devices into HomeKit?

If you don’t like my responses, then please feel free to move on. These aren’t other things. They’re relevant. Siri is the core of HomeKit and they couldn’t even get their own act together.
I was referring to this, while answering the question about local control of HomeKit; And how that is an example of a benefit of Apples stringent policies regarding HomeKit certification:

‘Manufacturers just needed to implement more of their products into HomeKit (Apple taking fault too because of their very stringent security policies).’

I don’t know about advocacy, but I do think homebridge is great. It enables all of my non-internet connected z-wave devices to integrate with HomeKit. While z-wave (or any other networking technology) is not fully secure itself, the devices cannot phone home any data to third parties, nor can they be accessed remotely.

Again, HomeKit can be used without Siri ever enabled. That doesn’t sound like the ‘core’.

I’m helping this person with the question they asked.

To that person: Hopefully the answers help and you can save some money! What you have now should support local control without a WAN connection already. If that’s the only feature you need, spend the money on more HomeKit stuff instead.

Last edited:

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I don' think spending any money on anything "Matter" or "Thread" is a good idea. I think spending money on items that work with HomeKit is probably fine or at least much more sound than the other.

I just simply cannot believe how we have been duped by what "Thread" & "Matter" can do

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I don' think spending any money on anything "Matter" or "Thread" is a good idea. I think spending money on items that work with HomeKit is probably fine or at least much more sound than the other.

I just simply cannot believe how we have been duped by what "Thread" & "Matter" can do
I think Thread has been decent lately but I only have a few devices. Matter not so much. We still don’t even have a camera category for Matter. That’s just ridiculous and apparently, not only does Matter have to implement the accessory category but so does the smart home platform. They just announced appliances but will Apple integrate them into HomeKit? Who knows? What a convoluted mess this has turned out to be.

I always look for the HomeKit logo on the box first. There were people on Reddit getting upset at Hue for the slow rollout of Matter compatibility. For what? To lose functionality (Adaptive Lighting)? Hue already supports just about every platform out there.

Reactions: srl7741 and dotme

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Yep! So far this thread has turned out to be just that, underwhelming and not worth a discussion. All the big players took their balls and went home and haven't as of yet decided to play yet. There is no $ in it for them.

It's so fascinating to watch and almost predictable.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yep! So far this thread has turned out to be just that, underwhelming and not worth a discussion. All the big players took their balls and went home and haven't as of yet decided to play yet. There is no $ in it for them.

It's so fascinating to watch and almost predictable.
…and I thought by now, we’d have all those devices that “Works with Google” “Works with Alexa” available for HomeKit via “Works with Matter.” Shame on me lol.

Call me crazy, but I’d even pay a subscription for something that works the way they hyped it up to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.