Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Long ago I cranked up gestation and taming times. I’ve got better things to do. When I first played this game I was on a server run by a vanilla zealot, where to tame a top level dino was 8 hours and to hatch one if I remember correctly was 11 freaking hours. I ended up quitting that server, just not going to do it.

For my first giga (described in posts 6&7) having to shoot it with 500 darts to get it to drop was the last time for me. I now have modded darts that do the job in 1-3 hits and I use Super Test Meat to tame, although I still have fond memories of playing run around the rock and don’t get eaten, ;) taking down a Spino but that was only about 30 darts. ;) I also had mod at one point that allowed me to imprint on a baby dino in 1 hour, Better Baby Care or something like that.

I had adjusted my taming timer at the start of the game to x6 (quickest vanilla tame). I didn't bother with boosting the egg hatching time because I have a temperature controlled egg hatching facility and I only have to keep track of when the eggs will hatch.

I found out the hard way about being careful on boosting the baby maturing rate. If the babies mature into adults before the imprinting timer is done, the babies will not imprint (I think it's a somewhat recent change).

After the babies hatch, I max the baby mature rate till they hit 10% and can feed themselves. I then lower the rate to x1 (or lower depending on how fast they are maturing) until about 25 minutes before imprinting. At that point, I'll adjust the baby mature rate to try to get a 60-70% maturity when imprinting occurs. One minute before imprinting, I adjust the baby mature rate to x3 and it will only take one imprint to imprint at 100%.

Torpor (knockout) is based on the damage done which is why it is good to have a quality longneck or crossbow.

Comparing crossbows (tranq arrows) and longnecks (darts) of equal quality at max firing rate, the crossbows actually generate more torpor (knockout) since they do more damage. The advantage of longnecks (darts) is range and accuracy. Darts are also needed at higher levels where dinos have considerably more knockout resistance than health (i.e. using a crossbow can more easily kill something then knock it out). Head shots also do much more torpor (knockout) except in dinos that have specifically armored heads.

Once people hit level 96 (max level 105), they get shocking tranq darts and that's all they will use. They immediately generate torpor equal to 1200% of the damage dealt along with torpor equal to 500% in the next five seconds. This comes out to 442 torpor with a 100% longneck rifle (at level 96, the player should have a considerably better rifle). Head shots will also give much greater torpor.

Bio toxin is needed for the shocking tranq darts but is is also used as a replacement for narcoberries / narcotics. It's much stronger and people don't need as much for tames.

Players kill jellyfish (cnidaria) for the biotoxin but must be at range. Getting too close means getting paralyzed and killed (including any dinos).

images.jpeg

A basilosaurus is immune to them making it easy to farm biotoxin.

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I had adjusted my taming timer at the start of the game to x6 (quickest vanilla tame). I didn't bother with boosting the egg hatching time because I have a temperature controlled egg hatching facility and I only have to keep track of when the eggs will hatch.

I found out the hard way about being careful on boosting the baby maturing rate. If the babies mature into adults before the imprinting timer is done, the babies will not imprint (I think it's a somewhat recent change).

After the babies hatch, I max the baby mature rate till they hit 10% and can feed themselves. I then lower the rate to x1 (or lower depending on how fast they are maturing) until about 25 minutes before imprinting. At that point, I'll adjust the baby mature rate to try to get a 60-70% maturity when imprinting occurs. One minute before imprinting, I adjust the baby mature rate to x3 and it will only take one imprint to imprint at 100%.

Torpor (knockout) is based on the damage done which is why it is good to have a quality longneck or crossbow.

Comparing crossbows (tranq arrows) and longnecks (darts) of equal quality at max firing rate, the crossbows actually generate more torpor (knockout) since they do more damage. The advantage of longnecks (darts) is range and accuracy. Darts are also needed at higher levels where dinos have considerably more knockout resistance than health (i.e. using a crossbow can more easily kill something then knock it out). Head shots also do much more torpor (knockout) except in dinos that have specifically armored heads.

Once people hit level 96 (max level 105), they get shocking tranq darts and that's all they will use. They immediately generate torpor equal to 1200% of the damage dealt along with torpor equal to 500% in the next five seconds. This comes out to 442 torpor with a 100% longneck rifle (at level 96, the player should have a considerably better rifle). Head shots will also give much greater torpor.

Bio toxin is needed for the shocking tranq darts but is is also used as a replacement for narcoberries / narcotics. It's much stronger and people don't need as much for tames.

Players kill jellyfish (cnidaria) for the biotoxin but must be at range. Getting too close means getting paralyzed and killed (including any dinos).

View attachment 934736

A basilosaurus is immune to them making it easy to farm biotoxin.

View attachment 934742
Cool pics. As I recall when using vanilla darts, the Giga is tough taming because their torper drops so fast.

I also recall being on servers where those with admin privileges had the biggest most fancy bases. Funny how that works. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Plutonius
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.