Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Stupid to not support Intel Mac's, the majority of the customer base still and will be when Apple goes back to x86 in a few years after the Taiwan fiasco
Nope, Intel Mac’s are on life support and user base in decline as users buy Apple silicon machines. I wouldn’t be surprised if the next Mac OS has no intel support. Doesn’t make sense to support a platform that has a very limited life span.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Important info here >>> the more people that buy this, the greater chance more AAA titles start being ported over to Mac. I hope a lot of people buy this. If few people buy this, it just validates other developers reluctance to spend the time and money to port games over to Mac.
I bought the Windows version for my Mac Pro, (Intel).
I know it's kind of like chicken and egg but Apple need to show better support before I support them after the number of times they have abandoned stuff that enables better game adoption over the years.

Reactions: toobravetosave

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Speaking about games… Some more emulators were approved at Apple’s App Store.

Regarding this new Assassins Creed, if they have focused on stealth it could be quite fun.

Interesting how developers are getting more interested in the Mac platform since the rise of Apple Silicon, especially with the bump of the M3 GPU!
If they didn't kill Nvidia support, we might not be saying that. My 3080 is pretty special when operating and it's not even close to the top of the range.
However for those with portables this could be just what they want and is welcome.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Wow this meh. i just hope assassin creed try to tell original stories which might sparks my jadded heart.
looks average, and of course the black guy is a brutish type of character ( i swear black characters are the american Russians) I am shocked they did not give him a minimum.
jokes aside I do love the whole weeb phase in the entertainment industry. we did get blue eye samurai ( gigidi)
Don’t worry, the 100 pound when wet girl, will teach him how to be a better person and better fighter. That is after she takes down hoards of men in hand to hand combat.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Good luck to those with Macs with 8GB memory 🤣
It will run with 8GB per the minimum requirements. And that's 8GB DDR not 8GB unified memory. Unified memory is almost twice as efficient...so 8GB performs more like 16GB.

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Why?? Steam sucks. You dont actually own any of the video games you buy off steam.
you are renting them. Your digital rights to play any game bought on steam can be taken away at any time.
much like your entire music collection off iTunes. allowed to run thru the use of digital certificates

getting a physical disk for a video game for your PS5, PC, Xbox is always best.
...when the last time you saw physical disk for PC? Like I agree physical is better for preservation, but come on now. Steam is great and has track record of customer support. This is a ridiculous comment

Reactions: toobravetosave

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
It will run with 8GB per the minimum requirements. And that's 8GB DDR not 8GB unified memory. Unified memory is almost twice as efficient...so 8GB performs more like 16GB.
Someone with an 8GB mac will probably have to run lower quality textures than someone with a 8GB GPU on PC.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
I will not spend time in Ubisoft’s games even if I would download them from torrent sites.

Of course, it’s a personal thing, but companies like EA and Ubisoft are highly responsible for the plague of the gaming industry: live services, repetitive boring games, insane pricing.

Again - this is my personal stand.

Not disagreeing with those who have a different view - I just refuse to support them anymore.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Important info here >>> the more people that buy this, the greater chance more AAA titles start being ported over to Mac. I hope a lot of people buy this. If few people buy this, it just validates other developers reluctance to spend the time and money to port games over to Mac.
That’s probably exactly why it’s not coming to Steam. If a person has a Windows PC and a Mac, the game being available on Steam means they load it to their Mac for free. There’s probably not a LOT of those situations, but at least on Apple’s store, they know every sale is for a Mac which helps when making decisions on how to support the Mac in the future.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Hmmm AppStore only. I wonder if this was part funded by Apple?
If it’s not I would be really surprised. The Mac still isn’t a good platform for gaming now and even if you’re releasing on macOS, the Mac App Store doesn’t really make sense.
I would doubt it. It’s likely AppStore only so they can be almost guaranteed that the sale is for someone that wants to pay specifically for a Mac optimized version of the game. Plus, for anyone using Steam, they’ll still likely be able to download the Windows version and, after an appropriate number of arcane steps, get it running on the Mac.

Keeping it separate lets them see clearly how many Mac folks there are willing to support third party development. And, I don’t think it’s likely to appear on Steam as the publisher probably doesn’t want this title involved in any Steam sales.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
the last game that I brought for the mac it was Alice McGee, great game and memories, I should play again on the mac.

what's a good specs for this new game?

I had plans to buy a studio and replace my mini (I do a lot great things with the base mini m2!)

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

The more people buy this, the more Apple will take it as a validation that it's OK to release these games only via the Mac App Store.

We accepted Steam a long time ago. It's pretty much ideal for distribution of games. It existed long before the Mac App Store. It existed before the App Store. We don't need more overhead.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Why?? Steam sucks. You dont actually own any of the video games you buy off steam.
you are renting them. Your digital rights to play any game bought on steam can be taken away at any time.
much like your entire music collection off iTunes. allowed to run thru the use of digital certificates

getting a physical disk for a video game for your PS5, PC, Xbox is always best.

And you...think the Mac App Store is an improvement on this?

I agree physical media is best in terms of ownership. And there's a reason it's being phased out.

All software is licensed, not sold, as has been made clear for decades.

I agree it's not perfect, but Steam is about as close to an ideal compromise as anyone has come up with. Just enough copy protection to satisfy the rights holders, light enough touch for users to accept it.

raghu8912

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
San Jose
Yeah, 8GB ram isn’t going to cut it……

I miss the days when you can upgrade the memory. (Unfortunately just like storage, Apple decided to glue in the memory straight into the logic board to save space, also limitation of ARM in general where memory have to be unified for optimum performance)
memory is part of SOC now, not even glued to motherboard.
to increase performance.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Stupid to not support Intel Mac's, the majority of the customer base still and will be when Apple goes back to x86 in a few years after the Taiwan fiasco

The majority of Intel Mac owners don't play games or own Macs with powerful enough GPUs to play this game according to Steam. AS Mac owners do.

Skärmavbild 2024-05-03 kl. 05.47.08.png

Skärmavbild 2024-05-03 kl. 05.47.48.png

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
the last game that I brought for the mac it was Alice McGee, great game and memories, I should play again on the mac.

what's a good specs for this new game?

I had plans to buy a studio and replace my mini (I do a lot great things with the base mini m2!)
The base Studio is probably fine. If they are using the same engine as Mirage I wouldn't expect it to be taxing graphically.

Reactions: umbilical

2fx1989

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2016
I agree it seems like a lot of money, but games have always been expensive. And even with inflation they’ve come down a little in price. I think games were about 50-60 USD throughout the 2000s which is nearly $100 in 2024 USD. So I suppose we’re saving 30 USD.
I agree with this because I remember paying IR£60 for Unreal Tournament Mac OS in 2000 so that would be well over €100 by now. It was expensive but worth every single penny 😀

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2021
Don’t worry, the 100 pound when wet girl, will teach him how to be a better person and better fighter. That is after she takes down hoards of men in hand to hand combat.
Wow sounds awesome , lucky bastard is getting. Leonardo, you can’t beat guns with
karate. Of course she can just stab
b them in the back like an assassin is supposed to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.