Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
It has been a while since I bought a Chromebook. My last Chromebook was a Thinkpad C-13 Chromebook with Ryzen 7 and 16gb ram. Before that was an Acer 714 spin with Intel 11th gen.

I like high end Chromebooks but over the years they have gotten more expensive but the hardware doesn't really match the cost.

This unit slaps right in the middle and on sale is low mid range at $399. Probably the lowest price you can get a decent Chromebook that doesn't suck. $300 is probably that bottom floor. From $300-$600 is the sweet spot for a ChromeBook.

This unit should will be supported until June 2033!! That is pretty decent software support. I don't know if the hardware will make it that long but it is nice to know I have that long.

The device itself is mostly hard plastic. It suffers from plastic creaks depending on how you pick it up and if it is open and lift from a corner it feels like you could break it if not careful. The unit is milspec and heavy. Feels like a tank but it is plastic and not any special plastic like Kevlar or similar. The display lid is wrapped in aluminum and feels very solid. The weak link is the 2 in 1 hinge is a bit wobbly. They have made it pretty stiff but it is so heavy it still wobbles.

Overall the build quality is okay. You aren't going to impress anyone with this Chromebook but it will impress you in how it works. I have said some harsh criticisms because I don't like to puff up something when it just isn't but I also praise when it deserves it.

I mean you can get some nice Windows laptops for $399. Nothing great but decent. I still think this is a better choice. Since Chrome OS is a modern OS designed to be used by low end hardware it performs better than a similarly spec Windows laptop. That being said Windows is far more popular. Some say it is more useful and in some ways I agree but with the ability to use a full Linux desktop the things you can do with a Chromebook are only limited by the hardware and if you have decent hardware then you don't have limitations other than Linux compatibility which can be a problem. The point is a Chromebook is more than just a mobile OS like an iPad. The other advantage is security. The entire OS is extremely secure by design using Linux as a base.

Performance. Bottom line if the performance isn't there than the device is a non starter and I am happy to say that while the Ryzen 3 won't win any awards it feels more than adequate for Chrome OS. Animations are smooth and fast. Using multiple tabs in chrome is fine and multi tasking seems fluid. As an added bonus the Ryzen chip on 6nm seems rather efficient even with screen brightness turned all the way up. I have to do more testing to see battery life but it is certainly better than Intel chips like 11th gen and 12th gen core i5 and i3 but those chips are faster except 11th gen.

Screen. Average at best. Color gamut is like 50% to 70% at best. brightness is 300nits max which is bare minimum for me to be acceptable and you have to turn the brightness up all the time. Resolution is 1080p. It is a touchscreen. It is IPS. But it does suffer from brightness changes at different angles. It is not a vibrant screen but it is okay.

The keyboard is backlit and feels really nice and accurate to type on. The keyboard is surprisingly good!

The trackpad is small and plastic but it works fine.

Plenty of ports and USB c on both sides of the laptop! USB a, HDMI, sd card, and 3.5mm headphone jack. Everything you should need is here and nicely positioned. Good design.

Speakers are bottom firing but decent sound and bass and louder than most Chromebooks I have owned. I just wish they placed the speakers on the top of the laptop deck or sides of the laptop instead of literally bottom firing?

If you don't want to spend a lot of money but want a decent experience I think this is the perfect mid range Chromebook. It has a decent processor and ram, ssd instead of emmc, decent speakers, decent screen and decent plastic build. I don't see any reason to spend more until some high end Meteor lake Chromebooks come in. Until then this is probably the best bang for your buck you can get.

I like this Chromebook. I think this would be perfect for high school and college students, businesses, and people who want a solid device but don't want to waste money.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Reactions: Cape Dave

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
So I have been really enjoying this Chromebook. It has some flaws and so I thought I would see what it out there in the high end segment.

This is why I hate Chromebooks! Because if you want something good you are going to pay a lot for outdated specs. For example the Acer Spin which costs $699 has a Intel core i3 13th gen processor not Meteor lake which would perform much better and have much better battery life. The screen is okay but no anti-reflective coating. The speakers suck. The device has a terrible hinge that wobbles. It is a decent device but Acer has not significantly upgraded anything in the design in years just upgrading the CPU and not addressing the speakers, getting rid of the huge screen that pushes up the back of the device. Slimming the bezels, etc.

There are some other Acer models but then anything with a Ryzen 5 has EMMC storage!! There is a Ryzen 5 model with 16gb ram of the Asus I have but I am sure it will cost at least $200 more than mine and the other parts of the device are the same. I don't have a problem with performance. I would just like a brighter and more color accurate display. I like Ryzen but I would prefer the hexacore chip for years down the road.

So this is the problem with Chromebooks. They can't figure out what market they are trying to reach and they are trying to pass sub par components even in mid to high range Chromebooks which can seriously degrade the other components. Slow ram, emmc storage, poor screens, clunky builds and heavy devices.

I would like a high end Chromebook built tough but not super heavy. Something with high end materials and build quality along with a really good screen, speakers, keyboard, touchpad, and processor and ram and not a rip off because it is a Chromebook.

My only guess is that OEM's just are not that motivated in the space because they don't have control. Google does. There is NO bloatware on a ChromeBook. The updates are controlled by Google. No separate driver updates from HP, etc. Google updates and optimizes Chrome OS for pretty old hardware and they commit to each release of a processor with a certain number of years of updates. Generally you get 9 years for a new Chromebook with a brand new processor but some of the processors that are older have shorter life cycles. Another thing that can be misleading when buying.

So buying an older and nicer device on sale vs a cheaper newer device might have very different support dates and that could influence your decision but it is not stated anywhere when you buy?

So it is a bit of a jungle trying to find a decent spec device and not getting ripped off in some way.

This Asus 14 Chromebook plus manages to really fit in the exact middle but offer a few higher end perks. The speakers are good but again because they are on the bottom if you are using the laptop on your lap sound can get muffled and for some reason Chrome OS just doesn't amplify sound. These speakers could get a lot louder in certain apps so it is just a software issue and seems to affect all Chromebooks.

I do like several things about Chrome OS since I left. It feels a lot more polished although that is still an area of work. I like the integration of Android apps. I like the way the OS is designed. Boot up is super fast as is shut down. If I ever have a problem I can easily wipe and recover my ChromeBook. The stability and speed with the Ryzen processor seem like a really nice fit. The battery life seems pretty good so far and I don't feel a difference on battery or off like I did with my Thinkpad C13 with Ryzen 7 3700c series.

Having the Ryzen processor offers a number of benefits. They are cheaper. They have the best process/nm on x86 right now. They have better integrated graphics than most Intel alternatives. They offer decent performance and battery life.

Right now or at least until Meteor Lake gets on Chromebooks AMD chips are better than Intel on graphics and battery life while being competitive in performance. Once Meteor Lake is on CHromebooks I think we will see some serious performance and decent battery life in Intel without huge batteries!

So in terms of cost and specs and real life experience I think at the moment the Asus is the best CHromebook you can get but I would advise to wait for sales that happen periodically at best buy to offer you the best value.

HOWEVER, if you can wait a few months thing could get really interesting?? Who knows.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I honestly don't understand why someone would want a ChromeBook over a Windows PC. Not trying to troll at all but I just don't see it. I guess I am basing this off of someone having it as their sole computer. I could see if it where an additional device and I do think they are great for schools to purchase but as I said, as a main device. Also I don't do gaming on my Laptop so I am not factoring that in at all.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I honestly don't understand why someone would want a ChromeBook over a Windows PC. Not trying to troll at all but I just don't see it. I guess I am basing this off of someone having it as their sole computer. I could see if it where an additional device and I do think they are great for schools to purchase but as I said, as a main device. Also I don't do gaming on my Laptop so I am not factoring that in at all.
There are several additional. The first is it is a more modern approach to an OS created to be lightweight and secure. Additionally you can use a full Linux install and use the Chromebook as a cheaper alternative to a Linux laptop officially supported.

If you have a problem with the OS it takes a couple minutes to wipe, reinstall and get back to where you before any issues. Your phone syncs and you can make calls and texts from the Chromebook. You can use any Android app and get a full desktop version of Chrome.

The problem is the hardware still hasn't caught up and in order to get a decent Chromebook you spend more than a Windows alternative.

For older folks, seniors and kids Chromebooks are great. They start up fast too.

As a complete replacement ChromeOS is not there yet. But it is a very capable, fast, system with little bloat or legacy code. It is stable and fast and there really isn't a lot you can't do with a Chromebook that you can with any other device but it is not as easy and straightforward. I would not recommend ChromeOS over Windows for most people.

You can do more with Windows and get better hardware for less.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Ultimately I decided to return the Asus. It was just too heavy and the screen was too sub standard. On top of that the speakers were still just not there. For a lot of students this would be a nice Chromebook but I would not pay over $400 for it.

I am pretty sure better chomebooks will be released during the summer. So far the chromebook plus models are a good step up but I would like to see higher nit requirements, better speakers, ssds, etc.

If I could find a decent built and decent spec Chromebook for $600 or less I would buy. At any higher price then you get into nice Windows laptops or even an M1 MBA. Ideally we need a really nice Chromebook at the $500 price point. A nice 3k 500 nit IPS touchscreen with gorilla glass and decent contrast ration, Meteor Lake i5U series or AMD 8th gen ryzen 5, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd and decent build quality. I don't mind plastic but use a nice plastic like kevlar or similar. Until then I will be waiting.

Fun to try every so often and ChromeOS keeps getting better IMHO.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not a chromebook fan, I'm a big fan of the ideal you get what you paid for. Spending 300 dollars for a chromebook gives you a very poor laptop imo. I see all of the issues my kids have with their chomebooks. It does a decent job if all you need to do is use google products, but overall I want something that can run a variety of apps including games.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I had the original Pixelbook when it first came out, such a well built and well specced device let down by its capability. Not revisited a Chromebook since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.