Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Searching for a simple way to switch audio outputs (internal speaker/headphones etc.) I came across this article which explains how you can simply press ALT while clicking on the speaker icon in the menu bar (ensure you have the menu bar icon enabled first, from the "Sound" system preference).

However, I'm not a great fan of hidden features as it's too easy to forget them, so is there a menu-bar add on of some sort which I can install to do the same?
I've read about "Audio switcher" (app store) which is listed as free on various sites, but all I can find is a paid version. Is there anything similar for free, which works in OSX 10.9?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
At both Mojave and High Sierra, there is a list of AirPlay 2 audio output devices under the volume icon in the menu bar by default. I don't remember how it was on earlier systems.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Sounds like a nice improvement, but for various reasons I'm still sticking with 10.9.5 Mavericks.

An add-on piece of software in the menu-bar would suffice for me.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Thanks, I had forgotten about MacUpdate, which is always a good place to start.
AudioDevice needs at least OSX 10.10 (I'm on 10.9.5) and AudioSwitcher isn't free (only US$ 1 though, so no biggie, but I'm going for free if possible).
AudioMate on the other hand looks promising, but its download-link doesn't work and I can't find any alternative location. Does anyone know if this can still be found somewhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.