Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteKnightMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2017
United Kingdom
In your opinion,
  • Which is the best Final Fantasy game that you have personally played?
  • What system is best for that particular game?
  • How do you play it today? i.e Steam, OpenEMU, Console.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
1. Final Fantasy VII
2. I have only played it on PS1
3. I do not play today but if I did it would be under Bootcamp or OpenEMU, unless
I could find my PS1 in the back of the cupboard.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Windows I guess, as that port has better graphics and more features.
3. I've never owned a Windows machine, nor a Playstation (I borrowed one back then), so I don't.

Naiera

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2017
Denmark
Final Fantasy VII is probably my favourite game ever.

The PS3 is the best system for PS1 games, period. Even if you have a retro scaler, like an XRGB mini, the PS3 is the best upscaler for PS1 games. (well, maybe the PS4 is better)

I don't play it today. Too many other good games to play. Just finished Mass Effect: Andromeda and moved on to Persona 5. I'll buy a SNES Classic Mini and hack Chrono Trigger on there, if possible. (it's OK, I own the game on the original SNES and the Nintendo DS :)) Hopefully that's my next RPG, as I've only ever finished it once, and consider it the, objectively, best JRPG ever.

wirefire

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2015
Final Fantasy VII

Played on PC with high res texture libraries. (PS1 graphics were cool in 1995, in 2017 they are painful to watch.)

The new games are too complicated, too much focus on "scenarios" and quests that play like WoW, Skyrim, and Everquest. I loved that VII was open world but had a clear defined chain of events. XV has about 100 side quests, you can spent 30 minutes playing pinball in a diner for basically nothing. It is too much "off topic" material. VII is loved for its story. Traditional clear cut good vs evil and heart wrenching events. And the power that ultimate good and evil represent in Meteor (total destruction) and Holy (Protection / salvation). Just enough Sci-Fi (Jenova) mixed with technology similar to earth. (Rockets, mako (nuclear) reactors, guns, trains, motorcycles.) And their magic system is still the best one they ever came up with (I like VI's as well)

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I liked the FF4 remake for the Nintendo DS, played it again on my iPhone. Also FF7, FF8 & FF13 were cool games :)

And it's a FF, yet something different: FF Tactics was awesome! Played that one on the iPhone for the 2nd time, completly finished it.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
1. Final Fantasy VII
2. I have only played it on PS1
3. I do not play today but if I did it would be under Bootcamp or OpenEMU, unless
I could find my PS1 in the back of the cupboard.

I found my PS1 and it all works on my flat screen TV :)

Reactions: BlankStar

RedKite

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2017
I can't decide between 4 and 7. I want to try 6 but haven't got round to it yet. And I like the arcade feel of 3.

I first played 7 on a PSP many years ago. In fact it was the only reason why I bought one, the other games for it came later. I cannot stand playing JRPG's on consoles that didn't at the time have sleep functionality. So when I heard you could mod a PSP and play any PS1 game on it I fixed it to happen. This was even before Sony had PS1 games on the PSP lol. Fun days. Wonder what DarkAlex is up to now?

Since then I've rebought it for PS4 but haven't had time to play it. I hope that it comes to the Nintendo Switch in time.
[doublepost=1519475631][/doublepost]
I liked the FF4 remake for the Nintendo DS, played it again on my iPhone. Also FF7, FF8 & FF13 were cool games :)

And it's a FF, yet something different: FF Tactics was awesome! Played that one on the iPhone for the 2nd time, completly finished it.
4 on the DS is where I was introduced to it and I absolutely loved the gameplay and music. The story was the icing on the cake. To this day I can still recite the music in my head.... it was just that catchy!

Reactions: BlankStar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.