Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
So far I've found this video to best demonstrate the contrast difference:

If it doesn't say HDR instead of 4K on the bottom, you're not seeing it in HDR. If you're on Monterey 12.1, you still have to change your user agent in Safari.
Menu bar-> Safari->Preferences->Advanced->Show Develop in Menu Bar
Menu bar-> Develop -> User Agent -> Google Chrome / Windows (Has to be Windows, the MacOS agent still doesn't give HDR) -> Proceed to sear retinas

You can even toggle it on and off to go back and forth between HDR and non HDR

Enjoy! Feel free to post other cool HDR videos in here

• Wow
Reactions: J.J. Sefton

Gary500

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Any way to get HDR working on Chrome? Or do you have to change the user agent there as well?

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021

If it doesn't say HDR instead of 4K on the bottom, you're not seeing it in HDR. If you're on Monterey 12.1, you still have to change your user agent in Safari.
Menu bar-> Develop -> User Agent -> Google Chrome / Windows (Has to be Windows, the MacOS agent still doesn't give HDR) -> Proceed to sear retinas

look awesome indeed

but during most of the video,i get the bottom and top bar (i mean the black bars) in gray.not as bad as classic lcd but still,its not black at all

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021

Google being racist at macOS. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.