Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
That makes intuitive sense, but UMA RAM is a different architecture. RAM operation is different. My guess is that Apple is committed to its new UMA approach and that it is disinclined to encourage any kind of (slower) end-around the UMA architecture; not with MBPs and below at least.

However I am very curious to see what Apple does with Mac Pros with the M3 generation. Something two-tiered like you describe has always seemed to be a necessity to achieve the huge RAM that some Mac Pro users want. But I would think that on-chip RAM would need to be fully populated before some second off-chip tier was available. Or maybe a ratio would exist: x amount of on-chip RAM allows 2.5x amount of off-chip RAM or whatever.

Or Apple may continue to say here is our uber-fast UMA architecture limited to x maximum RAM, take it or leave it. We will help y'all develop your apps to take advantage of our uber-fast UMA architecture.

Whatever Apple does, I see no future where OS/apps are not going after usage of increasing amounts of RAM.
I doubt Apple will invest a different approach for Mac Pro. It’s too much of a niche, and lot of folks have moved on from Mac Pro after the 2013 debacle.

Reactions: Mac mini power user

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
The M2 Max is the best for office use. There is no scenario where the M2 Pro beats the M2 Max.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Doing an experiment here. Someone sold me a base model M2 Mac Mini for stupid money yesterday. Going to use it for a month and see if it'll do everything I want.

I'm writing a fairly complex mathematical text at the moment using MacTeX, have numbers, apple music open, notes, reminders, mail, iMessage, several safari tabs, terminal and Discord and Photos.app is sync'ing my library from iCloud.

Honestly I can't tell the difference between it and my base 14" M1 MBP (16Gb/512Gb) at the moment.

This is both enlightening and depressing as the display cost 6.8x what I just paid for the Mac Mini and the MBP cost 8.6x what I paid for the Mac Mini

Perhaps they should put the Mac Mini inside the studio display ;)

Reactions: WC7

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
What you did in 2020 is not equivalent to how someone should configure a new box for 2024-2030, because apps/OS always want more RAM over time. Unless one is granny doing only email, intentionally configuring a box with 8 GB RAM is absurd. 16 GB will be swapping to disk over the life cycle of a new box.
Except DJ said he would be buying used ... so maybe not looking at that longer time frame.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Perhaps a bit late to the party here, but ... when I read your requirement, I think RAM, not CPU.

I came from a late 2013 (Haswell) laptop to a 2023 M2 Macbook Air, and CPU-wise the difference is hard to pin down. I see it mostly when doing software updates. Both laptops had 16GB memory and I think that is telling. My takeaway is that CPU differences aren't necessarily as crucial as one might imagine.

In your case, I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU generation, because the differences just aren't that big. M1 to M3 might be what, 15%? 20%? even if 30%, who cares? on the other hand, RAM can definitely hinder if there isn't enough. From what I read, Apple Silicon CPU's operate well with roughly 2/3 or 3/4 of the RAM of the comparable Intel CPU. I'd suggest you get a machine with 16 GB memory, or if you want to be forward looking and have the budget, 24GB RAM, and that ought to satisfy.

Barbabenno

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
The OP's usage is somewhat similar to mine.
Most of my time is spent with around 20 chrome tabs, I manage a busy support helpdesk and need multiple client sites, reporting, service desk website tabs open at any one time. On top of that, I usually have open 5-7 word documents, 4-6 excel spreadsheets, slack, a SQL database manager and an email client.
I also have lots of tabs open (but not Chrome, I use Brave and Safari), two email clients, numerous Word docs and often 1-2 Excel spreadsheets. I normally don't use SQL db mgr and I don't use Slack, but I do also regularly have Parallels open for Windows emulation (gaming).
I do all of this on a M1 Macbook Air 16 Gb without any issues in responsiveness, although I should add that I do reboot once every few weeks If I don't it may become less responsive. I can have a large download and/or an iMovie export or DVD rip or so in the background while doing other work like browsing, word processing, no hiccups at all.
From my experience also I don't believe M2 or M3 would add much, but I'd hesitate to recommend less RAM. 16 Gb seems to work for my comparable workload. But if I'd buy right now I'd go for 32 Gb and an M3 just to future proof my set-up. If money was tight I would consider a used/refurbished M1 with 16 Gb.

Mac mini power user

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2021
Leuven, Belgium
Doing an experiment here. Someone sold me a base model M2 Mac Mini for stupid money yesterday. Going to use it for a month and see if it'll do everything I want.

I'm writing a fairly complex mathematical text at the moment using MacTeX, have numbers, apple music open, notes, reminders, mail, iMessage, several safari tabs, terminal and Discord and Photos.app is sync'ing my library from iCloud.

Honestly I can't tell the difference between it and my base 14" M1 MBP (16Gb/512Gb) at the moment.

This is both enlightening and depressing as the display cost 6.8x what I just paid for the Mac Mini and the MBP cost 8.6x what I paid for the Mac Mini

Then they should call it an iMac. Or maybe an iMac Studio if they want a larger iMac to be the spiritual succession to the iMac Pro ;)

Mac mini power user

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2021
Leuven, Belgium
I doubt Apple will invest a different approach for Mac Pro. It’s too much of a niche, and lot of folks have moved on from Mac Pro after the 2013 debacle.
I agree with your statement. The Mac Pro still has its place, but a lot of tasks that professionals used the lower-end and mid-end Mac Pro configurations for have been amply covered by the M1 and M2 Ultra Mac Studio. Thunderbolt 5 will further reduce the need for internal storage expansion. I would personally like Apple to return to the spirit of the 2019 Mac Pro by adding either a dual SoC option or a Mac Pro-exclusive M3 Extreme chip, and the possibility to expand RAM, and connect an eGPU over Thunderbolt.

Reactions: WC7 and TechnoMonk

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I agree with your statement. The Mac Pro still has its place, but a lot of tasks that professionals used the lower-end and mid-end Mac Pro configurations for have been amply covered by the M1 and M2 Ultra Mac Studio. Thunderbolt 5 will further reduce the need for internal storage expansion. I would personally like Apple to return to the spirit of the 2019 Mac Pro by adding either a dual SoC option or a Mac Pro-exclusive M3 Extreme chip, and the possibility to expand RAM, and connect an eGPU over Thunderbolt.
Personally I totally disbelieve in all-in-one (AIO) computers. However a lot of professionals clearly like the clean look of the iMac Pro approach, so I agree with the statement "...like Apple to return to the spirit of the 2019 Mac Pro by adding either a dual SoC option or a Mac Pro-exclusive M3 Extreme chip, and the possibility to expand RAM, and connect an eGPU over Thunderbolt."
Edit: Except I do not want "the possibility to expand RAM." UMA RAM architecture rocks and should not be degraded (in iMacs and below) to achieve expandability.

For others, definitely not for me; I prefer Studio plus multiple displays for desktop setup. To me it is nuts to waste a good display when the computing portion needs upgrading/replacement or wasting a good computer when the display needs upgrading/replacement. AIO make no sense to me; except on low end PCs where the display is crap cheap and so is the computer.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022

I would hate to discard a studio display because I need to upgrade the hardware of Mac, or it stops receiving security updates. I keep the displays longer, and there is always an iMac for those who prefer AIO.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I think the M1 would be fine for your workflow.

You might see a boost from a M2, but not a huge dramatic one.

If the M2 wasn't that far off in price from the M1, and everything else was equal, I would get the M2, but if the M1 is a decent price over the M2, that would be fine as well.

I don't think you would see much of a benefit from the M1 Pro over the M1 and M2 with your workflow.

16GB would probably be fine for your workflow, but since Chrome can be a resource hog, maybe consider getting more RAM depending on your budget and what you can find used.

Keep in mind that "Best" is subjective, and as long as someone can make a justification for it, there really isn't a wrong answer here.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has a totally different recommendation than me.
I think you are spot on with your recommendation. An M1 or M2 is more than capable for the OP.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Chrome is a memory s**t. I’d recommend as much memory as you can afford. Or you could switch to Safari.

Depending on your expectation of what “performs well” is, you may want to consider any of the Pro line of chips.

The absolute best recommendation if you are running Chrome is more memory the better. Google’s memory philosophy is “can’t stop till you get enough. SHAMAN”

Reactions: Chuckeee and WC7

Flynnsworth

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
I think that is a gross overstatement. The Mac and Windows versions are very similar. Excel add-ons are really the only area where Mac is deficient.
I respectfully disagree. The only apps that come close in feature parity are OneNote and PowerPoint. Although I know video and animation triggers were missing, presenter view is limited and privacy features are also limited for PowerPoint.

Outlook has very basic Exchange server support on the Mac side compared to its Windows counterpart. Features such as public calendars, circulation lists, retention features and tracking are missing or limited. Other missing or limited features: Save as for emails, social connector, voting buttons, using word to compose emails, non-Gregorian calendars, tables, receipts, side by sides and VB. There are also many advanced settings in Outlook for Windows that aren’t on Mac.

In Word, the following features are non existent or limited on Mac: digital document signing, endnotes, open and repair, embed fonts, book fold, blog publishing, screen clippings, document inspector, digital ink, smart lookup, publishing layout view, dynamic order. Many advanced settings are also missing.

Excel for Mac, to Microsoft’s credit has recently received a working Power Query. However, the following features are non existent or limited: Power Pivot, COM add-ins, VB and Macro functions such as user form and editor. No import export for the Quick Access tool. Data connections are also limited on Mac.

Publisher and Access are Windows only but not particularly popular these days anyway. Lots of the new Sharepoint functionality is limited or non existent on Mac. Power BI is not on Mac either.

The OP is looking for a Mac primarily for Office use. I made the point re: feature parity of Office as the OP may have never used Office for Mac before.

Note: Edited to remove Pivot Charts from Excel which now has feature parity. The Office 365 for Mac team are churning out regular updates and will hopefully address more of the Mac limitations. Here's a handy comparison of Outlook features between the platforms from Microsoft. There are over 25 differences. It would be great if they made one for the rest of their software.

Last edited:

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
I respectfully disagree. The only apps that come close in feature parity are OneNote and PowerPoint. Although I know video and animation triggers were missing, presenter view is limited and privacy features are also limited for PowerPoint.

Outlook has very basic Exchange server support on the Mac side compared to its Windows counterpart. Features such as public calendars, circulation lists, retention features and tracking are missing or limited. Other missing or limited features: Save as for emails, social connector, voting buttons, using word to compose emails, non-Gregorian calendars, tables, receipts, side by sides and VB. There are also many advanced settings in Outlook for Windows that aren’t on Mac.

In Word, the following features are non existent or limited on Mac: digital document signing, endnotes, open and repair, embed fonts, book fold, blog publishing, screen clippings, document inspector, digital ink, smart lookup, publishing layout view, dynamic order. Many advanced settings are also missing.

Excel for Mac, to Microsoft’s credit has recently received a working Power Query. However, the following features are non existent or limited: Power Pivot, COM add-ins, VB and Macro functions such as user form and editor. No import export for the Quick Access tool. Data connections are also limited on Mac.

Publisher and Access are Windows only but not particularly popular these days anyway. Lots of the new Sharepoint functionality is limited or non existent on Mac. Power BI is not on Mac either.

The OP is looking for a Mac primarily for Office use. I made the point re: feature parity of Office as the OP may have never used Office for Mac before.

Note: Edited to remove Pivot Charts from Excel which now has feature parity. The Office 365 for Mac team are churning out regular updates and will hopefully address more of the Mac limitations. Here's a handy comparison of Outlook features between the platforms from Microsoft. There are over 25 differences. It would be great if they made one for the rest of their software.
That is why I just say, stay with the Apple applications if at all possible. I realize you may have a list of things that MS has here but maybe he doesn't need all of this?

• Angry
Reactions: dgdosen

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
Apple Marketing would love you...

I'll respectfully disagree. I don't want Apple expanding and monopolizing more of our lives (and $$$). I'd rather have competitive options. I don't want Apple to be my bank, personal trainer, nor news source. I'm also all for Qualcomm/Intel/AMD coming up with competitive compute options that make Apple rethink the amazing-ness of $200 8GB memory/256GB SSDs
Competition is good ... as I heard someone from MS say in the late 1990s.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015

Plus Office generally runs better in Windows than in MacOS. I managed to quantify one action (opening a large document), and found that Word runs that action about twice as fast in Windows as in MacOS:

That's not surprising. Office is MS's most important app suite, so I expect MS co-develops Windows and Office to run optimally together. They really have no choice--Office for Windows probably has to run on a lot of really low-end office machines.

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
Plus Office generally runs better in Windows than in MacOS. I managed to quantify one action (opening a large document), and found that Word runs that action about twice as fast in Windows as in MacOS:

That's not surprising. Office is MS's most important app suite, so I expect MS co-develops Windows and Office to run optimally together. They really have no choice--Office for Windows probably has to run on a lot of really low-end office machines.
Yep, software optimization can be an important consideration. I guess we are getting away from which M series hardware is best.

Flynnsworth

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
That is why I just say, stay with the Apple applications if at all possible. I realize you may have a list of things that MS has here but maybe he doesn't need all of this?
The OP mentioned mixed office use, Excel, an SQL database manager and clearly comes from an x86 background. It's easy to give him a Mac spec for trivial tasks, and less easy to give him tips on the things to consider when moving to MacOS on Arm and possibly virtualising Windows for Arm.

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
The OP mentioned mixed office use, Excel, an SQL database manager and clearly comes from an x86 background. It's easy to give him a Mac spec for trivial tasks, and less easy to give him tips on the things to consider when moving to MacOS on Arm and possibly virtualising Windows for Arm.
Yes. Maybe he should just go back to a Windows laptop machine ... can we spec that, maybe?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Thank you everyone for your replies, that is really helpful. I think it is easy to get stuck in the tech YouTuber bubble where the single core and multi core increases are really emphasised between generations with benchmarks, seemingly always from a video/photo editing background. Since the M3, some say ‘the M1 is starting to show its age’ but just last year it was still being lauded. It starts to make you wonder if you’re silly to still buy it but as a few have said it’s a huge upgrade over my current setup. Looks like im best going for either an M1 Mac Mini 16GB or an M1/M2 MacBook Air 16GB as I may also use parallels to virtualise windows.
The YouTube reviewers frequently judge performance based on video rendering and other tasks that they do for their video channels. It’s a different use case than a generalized office productivity case like yours.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
You are probably correct. However I am hoping that Apple applies some high-end engineering to make the MP more than just a Studio Ultra in a more versatile box.
There are rumors that Apple will be doing more things with packaging which might let them be more modular and scalable with their processors. That might make it feasible to crank up the processors and RAM on a build for a MP that offers more than just a “Studio in a big box”.

Reactions: WC7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.