Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
There are so many to choose from I have tried a few of the lite free versions I will pay for a good app but its hard to know how much better the lite version gets sometimes without actually buying the full version

and before this thread changes topics ....yes its for "adult entertainment"

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Goodreader.

You can create a folder and password protect it. Store whatever you want and it'll be separate from everything else. You can even put it in a folder that's not backed up to iCloud or your computer.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Video Safe is a pretty decent one for photos that I've used for a while. It functions nicely but is in need of a little UI polish.

Good Reader is the best for documents. Nice app with good features.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I use Video Safe 2. Nice way to have a secure photo/video vault that you can PIN protect and use TouchID.

when you use this, and you transfer your files using iTunes file sharing feature, how do you know whats already on the device when I plug my device back in iTunes does not list what I have already transfered on the phone so its easy for me to add something a second time

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Someone mentioned that GoodReader is good for "documents". In my experience it's good for everything. Whenever I want to put movies on my iPad to watch on the plane I convert them using Handbrake and send them to GoodReader.

There's also a program called GoodReaderUSB that lets you copy files easily to and from the app without dealing with iTunes.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
I use Video Safe 2. Nice way to have a secure photo/video vault that you can PIN protect and use TouchID.

+1

Great App, has a "dummy account" that is very decent to fool want to be snoopers. Has been recently updated with Touch ID, can store in the iCloud only, in the App Locally only and or both.

Great App !!!!

freemannnn

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
Best Photo/Video Vault App?

I use keepsafe also. Nice clear interface.
I try now to safe a video and played normally inside the app. Touchid is also supported!

Last edited:

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
when you use this, and you transfer your files using iTunes file sharing feature, how do you know whats already on the device when I plug my device back in iTunes does not list what I have already transfered on the phone so its easy for me to add something a second time

I'm a long time Video Safe user, so good choice! :D

I use FTP to transfer. I find that to be far easier and makes it easier to see what you have and don't have. When it becomes too complicated, I just erase the folder and send the whole thing again. I use FileZilla from the Mac to transfer. And FYI, I use TrueCrypt on Mac to keep things safe on there. Totally free and worth a look if you have those needs as well.

Has anyone tried slow-motion videos in Video Safe? I made one last night. Went in just fine on my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air. On my Air, the video plays as expected. On my phone however the video doesn't do the slow-motion thing. It just plays full speed. I figured it was the app until I saw it go slow-motion on my iPad.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Has anyone tried slow-motion videos in Video Safe? I made one last night. Went in just fine on my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air. On my Air, the video plays as expected. On my phone however the video doesn't do the slow-motion thing. It just plays full speed. I figured it was the app until I saw it go slow-motion on my iPad.

This is fairly typical behavior. In general, any video player (except iOS) is going to recognize your video as 120 fps, and will play it back at normal speed. If the video player has the capability to play at 1/2x or 1/4x, you can do that.

But, before your video player will play it like you see on your iDevice, where a portion plays slowly, and the rest plays at normal speed, iOS needs to "bake in" those different frame rates. I think iOS will do this during the process of posting videos to YouTube, etc. But, in this process, I think it strips out 3 of every 4 frames of the normal speed part, and sets it all to 30 fps.

If you download iMovie, you can do your own "baking", and even set multiple segments to slow motion instead of just one, all while keeping your original file intact.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
This is fairly typical behavior. In general, any video player (except iOS) is going to recognize your video as 120 fps, and will play it back at normal speed. If the video player has the capability to play at 1/2x or 1/4x, you can do that.

But, before your video player will play it like you see on your iDevice, where a portion plays slowly, and the rest plays at normal speed, iOS needs to "bake in" those different frame rates. I think iOS will do this during the process of posting videos to YouTube, etc. But, in this process, I think it strips out 3 of every 4 frames of the normal speed part, and sets it all to 30 fps.

If you download iMovie, you can do your own "baking", and even set multiple segments to slow motion instead of just one, all while keeping your original file intact.

Thanks for the info (especially about iMovie inserting multiple segments), but I think you missed my point. I took the same video. Imported it into Video Safe on both my iPhone and my iPad. On my iPad (which is last years model), it actually plays the video correctly. On my new iPhone 6 Plus, it only plays back at full speed. Obviously I'm using the video player in Video Safe. But why does it fail on one device and work on the other? If anything I would have expected it to work on the iPhone rather than the iPad. If the app didn't do the slow motion on either, I would understand and would have reached the same conclusions you did. But that's not what is happening.

It's probably more a question for the developers. I'll see if they still have their forums up and going.

Adriian.

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
I use Photo Vault, it has a free and Pro version, I have the Pro and have never failed me, it lets you store images and video, and keeps updating. it's nice.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
FWIW I downloaded Keep Safe because of this thread. It is working great for photos. I haven't tried it with videos. Very nice, clean, simple interface, clean looking app icon. I like it.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
I use iVault. Simplistic, FREE, and it has a decent icon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 450
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.