Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Apologies if this has been asked before but, as the title says, I'm curious to know what are some of the best type A to C cables for CarPlay? I purchased (financed) a 15 Pro last week and of course, I'm making the arduous switch to type C cables, including the one I use for CarPlay. After reading this article, it seems Belkin and Anker cables are the way to go BUT I'm curious to see what other cables people have used that work just as well.

Initially, my thought was to get some Insignia branded cables from Best Buy because my wife gets a screaming deal on them but if they're not up to snuff, then I'd like to know about alternative brands to look at (aside from Belkin and Anker).

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
There is no harm in trying the Best Buy cable. Either it will work or it won't. Otherwise, Anker, Belkin, and Monoprice are reputable.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
I use some cheap Insignia A to C cable and it is fine. Bought after my wife and I started a roadtrip the day after we upgraded to 15's and realized along the way we had no wy to plug in...

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

I own 2 and they work fine. Normally I would have bought Anker but as Belkin is the brand sold in the Apple store I went with them.

I have no desire to "test" cheap cables with a $1k device, the Belkin was all of $15.

Last edited:

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
The difference in quality may affect longevity more than performance.
Even inexpensive ones might last a long time.
...........or not.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Just a thought/suggestion, I use a Carlinkit dongle in my Honda, converts wired to wireless. Works very well, even better than the wife's newer Honda with native wireless CarPlay.

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
Just a thought/suggestion, I use a Carlinkit dongle in my Honda, converts wired to wireless. Works very well, even better than the wife's newer Honda with native wireless CarPlay.
I was always curious about these wireless converters. Which do you use? Is it the “CarlinKit 5.0 2air”? Have you been using it for a while? The Amazon reviews look pretty mixed.

MM301

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2020
Apologies if this has been asked before but, as the title says, I'm curious to know what are some of the best type A to C cables for CarPlay? I purchased (financed) a 15 Pro last week and of course, I'm making the arduous switch to type C cables, including the one I use for CarPlay. After reading this article, it seems Belkin and Anker cables are the way to go BUT I'm curious to see what other cables people have used that work just as well.

Initially, my thought was to get some Insignia branded cables from Best Buy because my wife gets a screaming deal on them but if they're not up to snuff, then I'd like to know about alternative brands to look at (aside from Belkin and Anker).
Check out Ugreen. I too rely on the A to C cables for CarPlay. The Ugreen USB C connection is not crimped compared to the Anker ones I have and is very nicely made. Anker are just fine too.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
I was always curious about these wireless converters. Which do you use? Is it the “CarlinKit 5.0 2air”? Have you been using it for a while? The Amazon reviews look pretty mixed.
Since May 2022, it's pretty faultless to be honest, auto connects pretty much every time. I have v3.0. Id highly recommend.

Reactions: off2marz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.