Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SABunting

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 17, 2024
I'm considering buying the next iPad mini (hopefully the September Event delivers 🤞). My M1 MacBook Pro is still performing pretty strongly, I'll never sell it but my use outside of work / study is definitely more than do-able on iOS. Since I'm keeping my Mac around, what is the best solution for 'remoting in' to it when out and about? A local solution (same Wi-Fi network) would be fine, but from anywhere via the internet is ideal.

I presume a lot of services will charge a big fee to do this, is there any sort of open source or self managed approach that you have found to be decent on iPad for remoting in to your PC or Mac from anywhere?

That should close the gap of using my iPad as a main device!

SABunting

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 17, 2024
I use Jump Desktop for this. No subscription fees.
Thank you! That is phenomenal. Very fast. That seems to do the job.

Have you used a keyboard / mouse with that since iOS got full mouse / keyboard support, any issues or quirks?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thank you! That is phenomenal. Very fast. That seems to do the job.

Have you used a keyboard / mouse with that since iOS got full mouse / keyboard support, any issues or quirks?

Yes, I have with my M1 12.9 and haven't come across any issues that come to mind. I also like using it to remote into my Win11 desktop from my Win11 laptop and vice versa.

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
I use an app called Remote Desktop Manager which doesn’t require additional software on the Mac to work. (Jump does but the tradeoff is that it’s more user friendly I think.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.